PDA

View Full Version : Clearing small brush

curry
01-11-2003, 03:23 AM
I bought 10 acres and plan on building in a couple of months. I have a large amount of "scrub brush" that I want to clear out. Ive already had a D3 in there to clear out the larger stuff but the scrub brush is to limber and lays over when you try to do anything with it. I thought about taking a shredder and shredding it down but it will leave short stobs. They are to small to drill holes and put any poison in them and to many to hand cut. What is the best way to clear my place out? I only need to clear approx. 2 acres of it. I dont want to plow either.

fblandscape
01-11-2003, 05:26 AM
Walk behind brush cutter, or a tractor with a tow behind brush hog. Shouldn't be too bad. There are other machines that will do this... but they cost $$$ to get in there.

curry
01-11-2003, 11:21 AM
But how do I get rid of the short stobs when I cut it? Will they rot and if so how long will it take?

hosejockey2002
01-11-2003, 01:57 PM
If you cut the brush it will just grow back. Rototilling or discing will churn up the stumps, but eventually weeds will take over. Unless you install a lawn or something over the area, the weeds and brush will continually grow back.

curry
01-11-2003, 03:33 PM
I plan on starting a lawn but dont want the stobs in the middle of my yard. I guess what you are saying is go ahead and disc it or the stobs will just keep growing?

fblandscape
01-11-2003, 04:11 PM
All you would have really needed to do was have the guy with the D3 plow that stuff under, and you would have been fine. Now just mulch it up with the brush cutter and plow it under when you dig your foundation.

bob
01-11-2003, 09:45 PM
Awsome machine

noclevername
01-11-2003, 10:11 PM
See if anyone in your area has a dozer with a root rake. It attaches to the bottom of a straight blade. They're heavy tines that stick down about six inches so when the blade is at ground level the rake is below the surface and as the ground is graded it rips up all the roots and slash. I've got an excavating contractor I work a lot with on bigger projects that has one mounted on a TD8 ( relatively small Dresser dozer just a little bigger than your D3) and when he's done all we have to do is drag the harrows over it and Brillon seed it. It works great and is a real time saver. It also loosens up the soil a bit to make for a good seed bed!

Turfdude
01-12-2003, 09:36 AM
In the past for ivy removal, or removal of small sapplings, we have been able to succesfully use a skidsteer w/ a set of teeth on th bucket. We scarify to abot 6" and then use the bucket, and combination of hand tools to remove. Time consuming, but it works.
Bob