PDA

View Full Version : Hunter and Orbit

jbell36
08-07-2012, 10:50 PM
i have been working on a system that had a lot of orbit heads that look like PGP's...all though i have noticed they looked very similar (if not the exact same) in the past, i have never tried to swap nozzles, so i tried today...looks like the nozzles are interchangeable...

does anyone know why they are so similar? and if the nozzles are the same?

Wet_Boots
08-07-2012, 11:09 PM
go for it :)

grassman177
08-08-2012, 04:11 PM
the orbit is a cheaper made product, the materials and the gears. otherwise, the same as a pgp.

irritation
08-08-2012, 04:20 PM
I think the Orbit may be of better quality but that's not saying much. K-Rain makes one the same too. :hammerhead:

irritation
08-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Aspersor de turbina

http://www.krain.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/k/5/k5lowes.jpg

Wet_Boots
08-08-2012, 05:47 PM
I don't think they even bother any more with the cheaper-looking cap for the Orbit 'PGP'

grassman177
08-08-2012, 09:44 PM
how is orbit better than hunter? wtf

jbell36
08-08-2012, 10:26 PM
see this is what i don't understand...k rain makes more sense to me, i heard somewhere down the line there WAS some affiliation with hunter, two guys that worked together and split off or something like that, but orbit seems to be out of nowhere, but i'm not sure, which is why i asked...you would think that there would be patents, lawsuits, etc., between the three...one isn't going to let the other copy them, and so on...

grassman177
08-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Orbit has been around a long time, and are owned by hunter as far as I know
Posted via Mobile Device

hoskm01
08-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Orbit products (some) are made by Hunter, right there in CA.

jbell36
08-08-2012, 11:23 PM
that sums it up...

soafone
08-09-2012, 05:26 AM
FYI, Hunter PGP clones are available from China. They are exact copies for pennies on the dollar. There are also Rainbird copies available. They are probably made by the same factories that manufacture parts for Hunter and Rainbird's assembly plants.
Posted via Mobile Device

irrig8r
08-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Orbit has been around a long time, and are owned by hunter as far as I know
Posted via Mobile Device

You gotta be kidding...

I think Orbit / Watermaster and the new Hydro-Rain might be related... they used to have manufacturing facilities in the same neighborhood, not sure if they still do.

I'll bet that Hunter either manufactures for Orbit or that there's a licensing agreement, but I don't think they own them.

Here:
The company makes irrigation products such as sprinklers, timers, and valves for the residential and commercial markets. Orbit also makes low volume and micro irrigation products that focus on conserving water. The company's brands include SunMate, Arizona Mist, DripMaster, and WaterMaster. Its more than 2,000 products are sold globally in more than 40 countries. Orbit has manufacturing facilities in the US and in China. Products can be found in retail stores such as Home Depot and Wal-Mart. Holding company Pro-Mark owns Orbit Irrigation.

Officers:
President and CEO: Kent C. (KC) Ericksen
CFO: Paul Archibald
Chief Conservation Officer: Stuart Eyring

irrig8r
08-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Also see:
http://www.manta.com/c/mtrwstm/hydro-rain-inc

Same company president.

jvanvliet
08-09-2012, 01:12 PM
I think the Chinese are producing the rotators for both Hunter & K-rain and Orbit.

It's all becoming a commodity item, like computer chips. Screw quality, whoever is cheapest :dizzy:

grassman177
08-09-2012, 09:10 PM
You gotta be kidding...

I think Orbit / Watermaster and the new Hydro-Rain might be related... they used to have manufacturing facilities in the same neighborhood, not sure if they still do.

I'll bet that Hunter either manufactures for Orbit or that there's a licensing agreement, but I don't think they own them.

Here:
The company makes irrigation products such as sprinklers, timers, and valves for the residential and commercial markets. Orbit also makes low volume and micro irrigation products that focus on conserving water. The company's brands include SunMate, Arizona Mist, DripMaster, and WaterMaster. Its more than 2,000 products are sold globally in more than 40 countries. Orbit has manufacturing facilities in the US and in China. Products can be found in retail stores such as Home Depot and Wal-Mart. Holding company Pro-Mark owns Orbit Irrigation.

Officers:
President and CEO: Kent C. (KC) Ericksen
CFO: Paul Archibald
Chief Conservation Officer: Stuart Eyring

well, thanks for the clarification. i had no idea, but i would swear they were litteraly a clone, with cheaper parts made by hunter for big box stores since no reputable irrigation store would carry them imo, and none that i know of do

irritation
08-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Aspersor de turbina

hoskm01
08-09-2012, 11:00 PM
I think the Chinese are producing the rotators for both Hunter & K-rain and Orbit.

It's all becoming a commodity item, like computer chips. Screw quality, whoever is cheapest :dizzy:
Hunter makes all of theirs in either the US or some in Mexico. Rain Bird makes a lot in China now and moved most everything from their Arizona plant. Mexico for RB too.

jvanvliet
08-10-2012, 06:50 AM
Hunter makes all of theirs in either the US or some in Mexico. Rain Bird makes a lot in China now and moved most everything from their Arizona plant. Mexico for RB too.

Hmm... good to know.

Hunter made in the USA and the prefere choise id rainbird made in China or Mexico. :dizzy:

Duekster
08-10-2012, 07:04 AM
Given the choice of Mexico vs China... I will buy Mexcican made.

hoskm01
08-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Given the choice of Mexico vs China... I will buy Mexcican made.
All day every day, yes.

Electronics for just about EVERY manufacturer of anything electronic (controller boards in this case) all still come from China unfortunately, but a fact of life.

Mike Leary
08-10-2012, 02:00 PM
All day every day, yes.

Electronics for just about EVERY manufacturer of anything electronic (controller boards in this case) all still come from China unfortunately, but a fact of life.

All I can add, is, I've never seen any product outsourced that was better than the original made in U.S.A. :cry: All Irritrol products come to mind. :hammerhead:

jvanvliet
08-10-2012, 03:17 PM
All I can add, is, I've never seen any product outsourced that was better than the original made in U.S.A. :cry: All Irritrol products come to mind. :hammerhead:

it depends on where the material is coming from and the American level of involvement and quality control.

Lot of manufactures are sending the parts over for assembly only.

sprinklerchris
08-14-2012, 09:59 AM
the orbit is a cheaper made product, the materials and the gears. otherwise, the same as a pgp.

The Orbits were being made on the same machine as the PGP the day we visited the Hunter plant. They told us the only difference is the cap and the rubber lid. All other components are identical. The line was moved to Mexico when Hunter closed the North Carolina plant.

On the K-Rain, they make that one themselves in the Dominican Republic from parts molded in Riviera Beach, FL.

Wet_Boots
08-14-2012, 11:52 AM
The Orbits were being made on the same machine as the PGP the day we visited the Hunter plant. They told us the only difference is the cap and the rubber lid. All other components are identical. The line was moved to Mexico when Hunter closed the North Carolina plant.

On the K-Rain, they make that one themselves in the Dominican Republic from parts molded in Riviera Beach, FL.This would be the norm for any head made at the parent factory. It would be too expensive to set up a supply chain of inferior material.

grassman177
08-14-2012, 08:20 PM
well, that sounds about right, but everyone has a dif story, so wtf?

sprinklerchris
08-14-2012, 09:04 PM
This would be the norm for any head made at the parent factory. It would be too expensive to set up a supply chain of inferior material.

Hunter also told us that the Orbit head that looks like the PGM is made in their San Marcos plant. It's the same basic design except a green plastic logo cap and a different adjustment to allow use of a screwdriver to set the arc. Not sure if that one also made the move to Mexico.