PDA

View Full Version : Starting a fert and squirt co.

JBNC
08-07-2012, 10:50 PM
I am planning on starting a lawn care company offering only weed control, fertilization, disease and insect, aeration, and seeding. Not looking to get into any other areas of landscaping. I am just looking for any advice from people who have been down this path.

Not too worried about legal stuff, equipment, etc. More interested in how you started from scratch and built your company..what worked best for you. How you made the transition from working for someone to working for yourself..did you work part time? Jump right in? Are you glad you chose to work in this area of landscaping? What did you do right? Where did you screw up? What would you change?

I look forward to any responses, thanks in advance. :usflag:

humble1
08-08-2012, 05:59 AM
There are thousands of threads on here start reading.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-08-2012, 09:33 AM

The first step in any business plan is to research your market. The more you know about your market's needs the better change you have of success. Don't confuse NEED with DEMAND. Foreclosed homes NEED WORK but Banks have NO DEMAND.

After you have all the information possible, Design a business plan of how you can BEST FILL THE DEMAND for service. That mean advertisement and Equipment are geared toward that market section. Don't try and be all encompassing and specialize to some degree on target Markets.

In other Thread I have stated Mow & Go can be more profitable than Full service. Planned correctly it can be. Follow the above and any good business plan can go to the Bank.

PS Millions of dollars have been made dreaming. Research well because things don't alway work when put into practice.

rcreech
08-08-2012, 11:44 AM
There are 100's of books out there to answer your questions.

Every situation is different. Every market is different.

Keys are:

Be honest
Work hard
Look good
Have a lil luck (be in the right place at the right time)

Follow these key principles and you will succeed

Good luck!!!

Ric
08-08-2012, 02:19 PM
There are 100's of books out there to answer your questions.

Every situation is different. Every market is different.

Keys are:

Be honest
Work hard
Look good
Have a lil luck (be in the right place at the right time)

Follow these key principles and you will succeed

Good luck!!!

IMHO Working smart is more important than working hard.

rcreech
08-08-2012, 02:48 PM
IMHO Working smart is more important than working hard.

Totally agree!!!!

When I say work hard I mean be ready to work 6 days a week, work during the day and do estimates at night.

Starting out it is just plum hard work IMO.

But if one can stick with it...they can work smarter in the later years and not work so hard

:)

Green Scape
08-08-2012, 02:53 PM
This is funny. Not to be rude, but the way your posting comes off, well at least to me is," hey can you guys give me your business success secrets? I'm too lazy to do my own research, and I also don't want to take a risk for reward.....could you just give me the answers?". Man.....when I started out, instead of killing myself, I should have just started a thread on here. Lol....sorry if that was too blunt, but this business is challenging. Every market is different, and you have to trial and error yourself. As far questions like, what product should I use, and when, or what type of marketing should I do or what piece of equipment is best? Well, if you have those questions, you're not ready to go out on your own yet.

JBNC
08-08-2012, 04:02 PM
This is funny. Not to be rude, but the way your posting comes off, well at least to me is," hey can you guys give me your business success secrets? I'm too lazy to do my own research, and I also don't want to take a risk for reward.....could you just give me the answers?". Man.....when I started out, instead of killing myself, I should have just started a thread on here. Lol....sorry if that was too blunt, but this business is challenging. Every market is different, and you have to trial and error yourself. As far questions like, what product should I use, and when, or what type of marketing should I do or what piece of equipment is best? Well, if you have those questions, you're not ready to go out on your own yet.

I did not mean to come off that way which is why I said I am not worried about legal stuff, equipment, products, marketing, etc. I'm not asking for a business plan here, only looking for advice. Mostly on the transition into owning your own company from working for someone else.

I have read a lot on here in the past year or so. I will have a solid business plan, licenses, insurance, etc. I don't want your business secrets or marketing strategies, that's for me to figure out for my company.

I know there are a few threads out there, I've read them. I am just looking for people who have gone from working for someone else to being on there own, specifically a fert and squirt only company. Are you happy you chose this field? How did you start out, did you transition slowly with a part time job? Dive in and give it all you got? What have you done right? wrong? What would you change?

Just to be clear, I am NOT looking for what skid sprayer to buy, which spreader is better, where to buy chemicals, what to include in my programs, etc. Only looking for general thoughts.

rcreech
08-08-2012, 07:04 PM
It is awesome

It's not easy

Build a good client base, put lots of marketing dollars back quit your job.

Then spend all ur marketing dollars.

Buy cheap, sell high

It's not easy start n out

Work big hours and barely get by for the first two years

Years three through five still work n hard but finances much better

Year 5 and on grow business and can work a lil less and get n established

Also brand will begin to help u.

Brand and market ur name everywhere

Good luck!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

inzane
08-08-2012, 09:22 PM
i'm in my first year, fert and squirt only.. its tough, .. I definetly will not quit my overnight job with benefits anytime soon. i am working 11pm till around 9a.m. at my regular gig, then i get out of there and work on until 2.pm with my biz whether its estimates, working on marketing, servicing accounts (the few that i have) etc.. and i sleep in afternoons.. its super slow too. the overnight job is definetly giving me a chance to focus on my business by the day, but hard because i have a family too, and all the other crap to deal with. i figure about 3 to 5 more years of this, and i'll either be a success or dead.. i'll take either one.. lol.

rcreech
08-09-2012, 08:52 AM
i'm in my first year, fert and squirt only.. its tough, .. I definetly will not quit my overnight job with benefits anytime soon. i am working 11pm till around 9a.m. at my regular gig, then i get out of there and work on until 2.pm with my biz whether its estimates, working on marketing, servicing accounts (the few that i have) etc.. and i sleep in afternoons.. its super slow too. the overnight job is definetly giving me a chance to focus on my business by the day, but hard because i have a family too, and all the other crap to deal with. i figure about 3 to 5 more years of this, and i'll either be a success or dead.. i'll take either one.. lol.

Its a great business to be in. You just gotta get over that hump.

I am sure any business is this way.

When you start out you have no money and no customers. It costs you a lot to pick up customers.

That means...you have to spend money to make money.

You just have to spend it...hope you can get it back plus more and then keep spending it to get more customers. It is a viscous cycle!

Key is you have to make more then you spend.

Other then that...its a walk in the park.
:laugh:

inzane
08-10-2012, 09:36 PM
yeah, i got a long ways to go to get over that hump. Its tough in this economy, it has been nothing like when i started mowing in 2004. but, i am starting out with owning everything out right, truck will be all paid in a matter of months, so i feel good about all that.. it will be nice when i can cover my basic monthly expenses (which aren't much) without using money from my regular job. working overtime at the regular gig to put back into advertising.. this has helped. I'm also lucky that my wife works and stands behind what i'm doing.

the few calls i've got have been for people wanting maintenance or landscaping, which i can't do right now. i've been calling around to some landscapers/lawn maintenance guys that don't offer lawn apps to see if we could help each other out, so far no takers. :) it would be nice to have a good reputable service to refer a customer too, when they need stuff that i don't do.

Its a great business to be in. You just gotta get over that hump.

I am sure any business is this way.

When you start out you have no money and no customers. It costs you a lot to pick up customers.

That means...you have to spend money to make money.

You just have to spend it...hope you can get it back plus more and then keep spending it to get more customers. It is a viscous cycle!

Key is you have to make more then you spend.

Other then that...its a walk in the park.
:laugh: