PDA

View Full Version : Third Party

Emerald Coasting
08-08-2012, 02:48 AM
Anyone ever worked with this company? http://olminc.com/
Or companies like this? Whats ya'll guys take on companies like these in the industry?

jvanvliet
08-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Looks like a basic property management company. HO Associations will retain these.

We work through several of these. No big deal, just do your job.

Patriot Services
08-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Ughh! Middlemen.:usflag:

jvanvliet
08-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Ughh! Middlemen.:usflag:

Amazing thing is the HOA's feel they are getting value :dizzy:

Patriot Services
08-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Just what every worksite needs. More bosses and people with ideas of how YOUR job should be done.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-09-2012, 10:30 PM

After Today I might be done with Management Companies. First they beat up on me for a better price. Fine I could still make some money. But then when I billed them they wanted Pictures and proof that I did the Job by E mail. I e mailed them back and told them there was a additional $ 300 charge for Pictures and Proof since they didn't originally request picture etc.

Weekend cut easymoney
08-09-2012, 10:56 PM

After Today I might be done with Management Companies. First they beat up on me for a better price. Fine I could still make some money. But then when I billed them they wanted Pictures and proof that I did the Job by E mail. I e mailed them back and told them there was a additional $ 300 charge for Pictures and Proof since they didn't originally request picture etc.

Those companies are scumbags...we delt with one on some of our Restaurant contracts.

they are set up to save money for the customer as they get a portion of the savings.
they make a myriad of paperwork such that any mistake will delay payment...then when you quote a price, they ask you if you can give them a better price....

ours asked us to call in from a restaurants phone when we arrived and record a special code that had to be on the invoice which we were to submit their format-

lost that contract last year as I refused to play by their rules...good luck, they have been through two companies since then-
when I have an executed contract, I am under no obligation to sign something else that makes for more work--

Florida Gardener
08-09-2012, 11:00 PM

How the hell would a pic prove you did the work anyways?? Is this L&O or GPC?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-09-2012, 11:11 PM
How the hell would a pic prove you did the work anyways?? Is this L&O or GPC?
Posted via Mobile Device

GHP = General Household Pesticide which includes Rodent control.

Typical of these management companies they only wanted to pay for Poison Maces and not Trapping or Exclusions. So I am guessing she wanted picture of the Poison Maces boxes I installed. The house was a foreclosure, so I am guessing dead rat smell might not be a problem.

Weekend cut easymoney
08-09-2012, 11:13 PM
their whole business model hinges on the fact that many contractors cannot fill out the paperwork to their specifications and or document things like they want...
i believe they screw many a contractor out of money...and its all legal-the way they do it, cause they make you sign their forms

its good for companies on top of their game-I just hate companies like that-

Florida Gardener
08-09-2012, 11:19 PM
GHP = General Household Pesticide which includes Rodent control.

Typical of these management companies they only wanted to pay for Poison Maces and not Trapping or Exclusions. So I am guessing she wanted picture of the Poison Maces boxes I installed. The house was a foreclosure, so I am guessing dead rat smell might not be a problem.

Right, that's what I meant...GHP...yea, I think most management companies are a PITA or dirtbags.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-10-2012, 11:45 AM
their whole business model hinges on the fact that many contractors cannot fill out the paperwork to their specifications and or document things like they want...
i believe they screw many a contractor out of money...and its all legal-the way they do it, cause they make you sign their forms

its good for companies on top of their game-I just hate companies like that-

Right, that's what I meant...GHP...yea, I think most management companies are a PITA or dirtbags.Posted via Mobile Device

This is one time their games back fired on them. After a few back and forth E mails this morning about Pictures and Full pest inspections reports they were now requiring, I called them on the phone. I simply told them I would Pick up my Rodent poison maces today and they could find someone else to hassle. Rodent Maces are about the only treatment I could take back and while it cost me money and time, I am a happy camper. I guess I am easy because I will write off a Bad deal in a NYC second. Life is too short to put up with BS.

Maybe the next guy will be smarter and charge them a small fortune. I know they will stay away from the Big boys like Massey and be looking for another sucker like myself.

11-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Emerald Coasting, judging by your screen name you and I work in the same area. I have plenty of experience with the company you mentioned. It is not a wise use of your client's money, as they could take the consultants salary and put it towards landscape improvements.

However, once this company is involved you have to accept it as part of doing business. This particular consultant will try to solve most site issues with extra fertilizer, aerification and buzz words like "water balance". The monthly inspections rarely reflect the true condition of the property and are often a reflection of the consultants mood.

The best advice I can give is don't ever argue with him and make sure that all items on the monthly inspection are completed by the next visit. Carry over items can kill your score. And if your score isnt high enough, you lose money from the client.

Patriot Services
11-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Emerald Coasting, judging by your screen name you and I work in the same area. I have plenty of experience with the company you mentioned. It is not a wise use of your client's money, as they could take the consultants salary and put it towards landscape improvements.

However, once this company is involved you have to accept it as part of doing business. This particular consultant will try to solve most site issues with extra fertilizer, aerification and buzz words like "water balance". The monthly inspections rarely reflect the true condition of the property and are often a reflection of the consultants mood.

The best advice I can give is don't ever argue with him and make sure that all items on the monthly inspection are completed by the next visit. Carry over items can kill your score. And if your score isnt high enough, you lose money from the client.

Who eats it when the problems aren't solved by this inspector and his buzz words?
Posted via Mobile Device

11-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Depends on the situation. We have a property that has no irrigation clocks. Over 60 homes, each with it's own battery operated valve. It's not our fault that this upscale community doesnt have a clock, but we are chided by the consultant for not managing proper "water balance". That is a tough task during the wet summer we had. We never lost money, but quite often lost points on the inspection.

However, after a year of nudging and educating, the community just signed off on a two-wire timer system. And the consultant help push this along.

So he can help in some ways, but hurt in others. He basically puts on a show once a month, makes you jump through some hoops, and guarantees the client that you are going to be putting in extra time on that property.

Once you get used to doing business with him, you will be fine.

the_bug_guy
11-05-2012, 09:09 AM
I have to disagree with most of you. I do a lot of work for a mgmt company and I have had nothing but good to say about them. I do 5 subdivisions all the L&O over 700000 sq feet I also do GHP on 165 houses for them. I send an invoice on the 1st of the month and that afternoon I pick up my check for the entire month to come. A great way to start the month off. I just signed new 2 year contract for 2013-2014 and bids on 2 more subdivisions. I get those and I will toss all my other L&O work. I was going to retire next year but I'm afraid we might have 4 more like the last 4.

11-05-2012, 11:03 PM
My comments were not addressed towards management companies in general, but only toward the the specific company that Emerald Coasting mentioned. I will stand by comments about them.

Emerald Coasting
11-13-2012, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=9773;4575132]My comments were not addressed towards management companies in general, but only toward the the specific company that Emerald Coasting mentioned. I will stand by comments about them.[/QU

Is the company you own or work for based out of PCB?

11-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Let's say it's a big company with a lot of red trucks.

Emerald Coasting
11-13-2012, 10:19 PM

Understood.

Florida Gardener
11-13-2012, 10:20 PM

Ooo ooo...is it brickman!?
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
11-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Ooo ooo...is it brickman!?
Posted via Mobile Device

Valley Crest
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
11-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Valley Crest
Posted via Mobile Device

Man, my sarcasm is flying right over your head these days....
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
11-14-2012, 02:05 PM

I guess what I am saying here falls under 3rd parties. Those being business brokers and Franchise companies.

Yesterday I had a call from a Business Broker spamming to see if I was interested in selling. Today I had Weedman Call spamming to see if I was interested in buying their franchise.

To me these are indicaters that Fert & Squirt is one of many HOT Service business that are trying to take the place of INDUSTRY. It also makes me feel my business has more value now in the service business Seller's Market.

Patriot Services
11-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Man, my sarcasm is flying right over your head these days....
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't mind me. I've been off my game for a few weeks now. By schedule I should be in Ny bow hunting. Too much stuff going on.:usflag:

Florida Gardener
11-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Don't mind me. I've been off my game for a few weeks now. By schedule I should be in Ny bow hunting. Too much stuff going on.:usflag:

I hear ya. I've been going non-stop. Been getting some really high profit day jobs. Plus installing mulch, flowers, pruning oaks, etc. love this time of year
Posted via Mobile Device