PDA

View Full Version : Fountain Grass in turf

Bear Fan
08-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Hey folks, just wondering if any one has dealt with fountain grasses from beds, reseeding in the lawn ? It appears as small tufts of course, almost shredded grass. I have talked to a few guys who have applied roundup to each spot, and then either wait a season for it to fill in naturally, or seed or sod. This method kind of sucks, because it leaves brown spots everywhere, and then spots of off color turf when sodding or seeding small spots. Since these " tufts" are actually a mini grass plant, any herbicide I know of will not control it. I would appreciate any input / ideas.

Thanks, Bear Fan

White Gardens
08-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Are you sure it's fountain grass. I'm crying foul as most ornamental grasses are sterile due to the crossing and breeding.

RodneyK
08-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Two apps of drive is supposed to do the trick but I think you will end up with a dead plant like Round Up any way...

This is becoming more and more of a problem per Purdue. I have seen several cases of this myself.

wildstarblazer
08-13-2012, 10:39 PM
It could be a lilyturf, liriope like plant that spreads like ground cover.

RigglePLC
08-13-2012, 11:29 PM
I have seen a few cases--not good--unsightly. No control method.

My suggestion is to use a cup cutter. Spray Roundup inside the cutter for a neat 4 inch circle. Repair by using a plug from another area or from some sod.(Adding soil to make it level). Or skip the Roundup and just use the cup cutter and replace with fresh grass.

Take look carefully...dig up..is it spreading by seed-or by underground rhizomes or roots?

grassman177
08-14-2012, 09:23 PM
i think he knows what he is talkin about(OP). i have it in my own lawn, righ out front of where it grows. i have successfully transplanted it and grown it out before. wow, you guys are quick to dismiss arent you>!>!>!

i have used a two app approach with drive, and it seems to tear it up pretty good. does not always kill it though.

RodneyK
08-14-2012, 10:15 PM
I thought I remembered a report on this subject.

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips/2009/09182009_Fountaingrass.html

Bear Fan
08-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks to all for the responses. Have sprayed a test area with Q4 herbicide to see what will happen. It was sprayed on the 14th, so nothing yet. I like the cup cutter idea or applying roundup with a wick applicator. I looked at the Purdue article, and that is exactly what I have.

Again, thanks for the help and keep the ideas coming.

44DCNF
08-17-2012, 02:35 AM
I viewed this thread before my last mowing of my own yard. I have some ornamental grass clumps that I assumed were fountain grass (given to me by somebody along the line without the name).

Two days ago I noticed a small patch of lighter green grass that tended to fall over more than the surrounding mix of kbg /fescue, just about the size of a 21", and in the same area I'd parked my mower as I went in for dinner mid mow. I'd wondered if it was from heat/ humidity under the mower as the heat beat down on it. Now I realize it is about ten feet from one clump of fg. I think you've solved my problem too. Thanks guys. This is the first I've seen it spread here, if thats it, in 10-12 years of it being here. And that spots planting is maybe 6 years old.

Bear Fan, had your effloresced? Mine is in near full shade and hasn't yet.

Mark Oomkes
08-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Are you sure it's fountain grass. I'm crying foul as most ornamental grasses are sterile due to the crossing and breeding.

Too late, see below. But this problem has been occurring with some varieties for 10+ years. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

It could be a lilyturf, liriope like plant that spreads like ground cover.

Not even close, lilyturf can tolerate mowing nicely. Fountain grass looks horrible when cut. Like you tried to cut it with a butter knife.

i think he knows what he is talkin about(OP). i have it in my own lawn, righ out front of where it grows. i have successfully transplanted it and grown it out before. wow, you guys are quick to dismiss arent you>!>!>!

i have used a two app approach with drive, and it seems to tear it up pretty good. does not always kill it though.

Ditto Ralph. As Rodney's link states, this has been going on for a long time. I have seen it personally for at least 10 years. I'm going to say closer to 15, but I don't remember exactly.

Yes, they are supposed to be sterile, but aren't. And cold winters with regular mowing doesn't bother it a bit.

OP, keep us informed, I was wondering if something like Tenacity might work.