PDA

View Full Version : help with weed id

grassmasterswilson
08-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Anyone got any idea about this weed? I'm seeing it in a few fescue lawns. Can't seem to find it in my weed books or what might take care of it.

The first pic show that it grows in clumps or patches. The second is a side view of some I pulled up.

93Chevy
08-08-2012, 10:48 PM
The leaf shape make it look like it's possibly new patches of buckhorn plantain. But the growth pattern doesn't appear to be plantain.

grassmasterswilson
08-08-2012, 10:56 PM
I thought that. I think it might be paspalum but it never has a seed head. If it is paspalum the recommendations are Msma, celcius, or gly......all of which aren't good for fescue!!
Posted via Mobile Device

ted putnam
08-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Thin Paspalum

Well taken care of Thin Paspalum :laugh:

RAlmaroad
08-09-2012, 03:07 AM
Dallisgrass. In Centipede use Vantage .75 and Basagran .40 and sticker BUT NOT in St. Augustine.

greendoctor
08-09-2012, 04:25 AM
In St Augustine, Celsius and MSO. Manor will also hurt it. 2 applications of either a month apart. Otherwise this weed looks too much like the weedy species of paspalum that I deal with in Hawaii.

greendoctor
08-09-2012, 04:28 AM
Whoops, do not spray those products in a fescue lawn. Acclaim Extra and Turflon Ester.

RAlmaroad
08-09-2012, 11:02 AM
I've used Revolver and Celsius plus MSO at medium rate with St. Augustine on coastal. So far good but does take a couple of applications. Of course, I error on the cautious side. No craters that way.

Florida Gardener
08-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Whoops, do not spray those products in a fescue lawn. Acclaim Extra and Turflon Ester.

Do you have fescue in big kahuna state?
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
08-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Nope. However, that does not mean that I am ignorant about cool season grasses or their specific needs. I would not appreciate someone pushing Three Way on warm season grasses when I know it will not work.

Florida Gardener
08-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Nope. However, that does not mean that I am ignorant about cool season grasses or their specific needs. I would not appreciate someone pushing Three Way on warm season grasses when I know it will not work.

Question for you Doc... I plan on moving to San Diego in a couple of years and have found out that tall fescue is very common near the coastal areas...can you shed some info on maintenance practices? Fert? Renovations?
Posted via Mobile Device