PDA

View Full Version : How would you....

muddywater
08-08-2012, 10:47 PM
How would you install a large flat boulder in the middle of someone's driveway? This is an existing concrete driveway. The driveway sees little traffic, just a 3k lb porsche. Also the client actually likes concrete cracks and hates straight lines. Kind of artistic type person with unique landscape.

Do you cut the whole section and pour around the stone for a continuous pour? Or do you cut out as close as possible for the irregular stone and then pour a sub base for the stone? Then do some ground cover around the rock in the middle of the drive to hide where the cut is not exact to the stone? Patching w mortar is not an option. Drive is acid stained brown and mortar will look bad.

If i do plants around the stone in the middle of the drive, do you think if i bored to the middle section and ran a drip line around the stone for plant material it could possibly undermine the surrounding drive at some point?

ReddensLawnCare
08-08-2012, 11:27 PM
If he likes natural, consider using a jack hammer to create a very rough edge and excavate the area to be removed. Place rock, native ground cover, and dress with mulch
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare
08-08-2012, 11:28 PM
You would also have to stain the area around the existing where you busted up
Posted via Mobile Device

GroundOneMN
08-09-2012, 09:31 AM
I would say larger and fill in with groundcovers and mulch.

If posssible get water out there, and low voltage lighting ......simple puck lights that shine down on the rocks

wouldnt just do one rock, i would do multiple.

Interesting idea on the rough cut idea, that would add some artistic value as well

muddywater
08-09-2012, 12:37 PM
This rock is going to be 5-6' wide and will be kind of flush w concrete so it will be driven over.

I like the rough cut idea. I can saw cut a small hole and then chisel by hand to get close to stone
Posted via Mobile Device

GroundOneMN
08-09-2012, 12:39 PM
have the rock bored for small lights, then he can park the SUV i mean porsche on top and up light it!