PDA

View Full Version : mower decks

CLM1
08-16-2000, 07:18 AM
which deck have you guys found produces the best cut, a stamped deck or a fabricated deck?

SKDCO
08-16-2000, 08:41 AM
Fabricated. By far the best

SKDCO
08-16-2000, 06:50 PM
good point andrews but why are you YELLING!!!!!!!!!!

bob
08-16-2000, 07:08 PM
The depth of the deck and amount of air flow that is created helps contribute to the quality of the cut.

bob
08-16-2000, 09:54 PM
Andrews, When you type in all upper case letters,it's concidered "yelling".

Rufur
08-16-2000, 10:14 PM
need help on these...whats a stamped deck and whats a fab deck also bob can you elaborate on the airflow subject what does depth of deck meanIm not real good on the mechanics on the cut but Im starting to make some guesses

bob
08-16-2000, 10:29 PM
A stamped deck is made on a press, like the way coins are stamped. John Deere has a new stamped deck out called the 7 Iron. a fabricated deck is usually metal pieces welded together like on a Grasshopper. The deck depth is how high the deck is. John Deere's deck is 5.75" high. Deep decks usually cut better. Look at some mower ads. most will tell you how deep their deck is. You need good air flow to suck the grass up and blow it out.

[Edited by bob on 08-17-2000 at 01:32 AM]

Rufur
08-16-2000, 10:49 PM
how do you measure depth? is it between top of the deck and blade...was also wondering what the difference is between curved decks like toros and right angle decks like bobcats? hope Im asking the right questions

accuratelawn
08-16-2000, 11:17 PM
Andrews,
Chill out. Have a beer.

stick
08-17-2000, 12:12 AM
Andrews you said "exmark will not cut bahai worth a damn"

WOW!
I just demoed just about all major brands of lawn mowers in the past 2 months for day. That is Choppers, exmarks, hoppers, deers, walkers, lescos, and scags. If there was a toro dealer within 50miles I would of tried one out for a day, but all dealers around my neck of the woods will not even think about selling toro's, due to there poorly made decks, thats what 12 dealers said to me.

I have 109 lawns a week 85 are bahai grass, every 12 lawns I had to change blades, regards less to mower type and deck. I have to say the exmark was one the best cutting decks, but other personal things about it I did not like.

I have scag tigers, am not happy with the cut, but I think all of us are striving for the " perfect cut"

I can argue all night long with you guys but I say its the blades that makes the big factor on decks. Factorys have not come up with the the perfect blade yet.

and andrew, get a 21" screen, makes the letters look real big.

SKDCO
08-17-2000, 08:59 AM
Andrews;
Just trying to point something out to you. pardon me for typing.

GroundKprs
08-17-2000, 01:04 PM
andrews, since the days of 300 baud modems, typing in all caps has been considered shouting. If you are in a chat room and suddenly want to be noticed by all, you type in all caps (shout). Same etiquette applies to newsgroups and bulletin boards.
To most people, all caps is hard to read. If it was easier, newspapers, magazines, textbooks and all other printed matter would be so written. By all means, continue to use all caps all the time to proclaim your obstinacy and your disdain for others trying to help you. Most won't be reading your posts though, because they are a strain on the eyes.

[Edited by GroundKprs on 08-17-2000 at 04:07 PM]

Mark
01-21-2001, 01:29 PM
Stick so you don't like them there Toro decks, well my Z_Master is the best cutting machine on my trailors, Cuts that wet grass, and saves me alot of time in deck cleaning, the Super Flow just about cleans itself, I do have to scrape if its raining all day. I to have Fabercating decks on most all my other equipment, they alos cut well, But need cleaning 5 times as often. I have no problem with stamped decks, if fact i like them alot.

Runner
01-21-2001, 01:46 PM
Stick said.
If there was a toro dealer within 50miles I would of tried one out for a day, but all dealers around my neck of the woods will not even think about selling toro's, due to their poorly made decks, thats what 12 dealers said to me.

Stick, You have probably already thought about this, but it kind of sounds like your dealers need to do some research and get up with the times, doesn't it? I know back in the eighties or so, Toros were aways known for their uneven cut (which almost became a trademark) due to their offset decks that would sag on the left side. But the new Toros, ESPECIALLY the new ZTRs cut impeccably well. Atleast my friends does. Granted, I run Exmark, and prefer it because it cuts longer grass up i bit finer, but I know the cut the Toros leave now.

[Edited by Runner on 01-21-2001 at 12:50 PM]

Grassman
01-21-2001, 01:53 PM
Down here in FLA, most guys use fabricated decks because they are thicker and stand up better to all the sand. If I worked up north where the soil is better and the grassis thinner, i think I'd go with a stamped deck.

lee b
01-21-2001, 02:54 PM
Stick, what have you found that cuts bahia the best. I'm in south Georgia and that's the majority of what I have to cut. thanks

lee b
01-21-2001, 03:02 PM
Stick, what have you found that cuts bahia the best. I'm in south Georgia and that's the majority of what I have to cut. Our yankee friends can't compare their cuts to ours simply because they don't have D@#$ED bahia to contend with. If they'll go cut the worst overgrown cow pasture in the middle of the driest toughest time of the year; they'll know what we have to deal with everytime we mow. thanks