PDA

View Full Version : Really nice guy, but time to cut ties

DVS Hardscaper
08-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Its a shame. Got a nice guy that we get screened top soil from. But he is always late. My guys just sitting waiting for over an hr.

Time to find a new top soil supplier. I try to be loyal, but enough is enough.

Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
08-09-2012, 11:15 AM
I try my best to be loyal to my suppliers, when service is good and pricing is comparable to others I will stick with them. But when they cost me money by having guys sitting around, or even worse make the company look bad because guys are sitting around waiting, then my loyalty goes out the door.

KrayzKajun
08-09-2012, 11:32 AM
In the end "Business is Business" I try to stay loyal. But I always say its not personal.
Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
08-09-2012, 05:23 PM
I'd get rid of "my guy" first, who the heck waits for an hour for something, isn't there anyone else you can get your soil from. We always have 3 or 4 different suppliers for materials.

slowleak1
08-09-2012, 05:51 PM
I'd get rid of "my guy" first, who the heck waits for an hour for something

This is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard :laugh:

Duekster
08-09-2012, 05:57 PM
There for a min, I thought it read time to cut tires. :D

zedosix
08-09-2012, 05:59 PM
This is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard :laugh:

I took it that his man went to get soil and the guy wasn't there, if he was on the job waiting then thats another story. But one hour really isn't bad there is always something to do instead of waiting.

slowleak1
08-09-2012, 06:10 PM
There for a min, I thought it read time to cut tires. :D

Thats always fun too

alldayrj
08-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Was it a big load you couldnt pick up?
Posted via Mobile Device

slowleak1
08-09-2012, 11:26 PM
I took it that his man went to get soil and the guy wasn't there, if he was on the job waiting then thats another story. But one hour really isn't bad there is always something to do instead of waiting.

I took it as they were sitting on a job waiting for a dump truck. I guess it's all in how you percieve it
*trucewhiteflag*

DVS Hardscaper
08-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Guys, dont let Zedo confuse you! His old age is settin in bigtime, he's on the verge of needing round the clock nursing care :)

We were waiting for the supplier to arrive with 20+ yds of top soil.

zedosix
08-10-2012, 07:46 PM
You got it wrong I'm the one who gives the nursing- to my guys that is, lol
Posted via Mobile Device

CALandscapes
08-14-2012, 11:27 PM
I won't stand for slow vendors. If you're not willing to jump on it asap (reasonably asap), then I'm sure there's someone else who is. Our vendors know what we expect, and strive to maintain that. If they don't follow through, they get replaced by someone who will. Sounds harsh, but we're selling labor, and don't have the time or the money to throw it away waiting on slow vendors....

jmacd
08-15-2012, 10:29 PM
I delivery materials with a tri-axle dump for other contractors. Waiting an hour is not that big of a deal. If the truck is busy like it should be than lots of factors come up in the day that will put the truck behind. We do try and call with an ETA. Hard to find loyal vendors also.

Before I owned my own trucks I waited all the time, didn't matter who I bought from. Try waiting for a concrete truck, late every time.

SVA_Concrete
08-15-2012, 10:53 PM
One hour with no call is outrageous.

I hate when i dirt/stone delievery is critical path to the job. My preference of course is deliever one day prior.

alldayrj
08-15-2012, 10:57 PM
I also try and deliver dry stuff ahead of time but my concrete guys are always on time for first load(90% of the time we pour at 7). Mid day loads are rolling the dice
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
08-16-2012, 01:51 PM
I delivery materials with a tri-axle dump for other contractors. Waiting an hour is not that big of a deal. If the truck is busy like it should be than lots of factors come up in the day that will put the truck behind. We do try and call with an ETA. Hard to find loyal vendors also.

Before I owned my own trucks I waited all the time, didn't matter who I bought from. Try waiting for a concrete truck, late every time.

Pretty poor justification and reasoning.

Not being on time or not truthfully communicating is piss poor management. Not the trucks fault. Not the load operators fault. Trucks and loader operators don't answer phone calls and schedule deliveries.

A contractor with guys on da clock can't be waiting an hr. 30 min tops. Top soil is the last thing you do. Not really anything else to fill in time during the wait, other then clean the truck's windows....
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
08-16-2012, 02:59 PM

Not being on time or not truthfully communicating is piss poor management. Not the trucks fault. Not the load operators fault. Trucks and loader operators don't answer phone calls and schedule deliveries.

A contractor with guys on da clock can't be waiting an hr. 30 min tops. Top soil is the last thing you do. Not really anything else to fill in time during the wait, other then clean the truck's windows....
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly how I feel. Our normal process is we will call our vendor and place the order a few days a head if we can. We'll let them know a rough idea of the amount of yards/tons we need and weather it will be for the morning or afternoon, to make sure they have the proper truck(s) available in the relative time frame we are predicting we'll be ready for it. Then as soon as we know when we actually need it that fits our schedule (usually the day before) then we will call back and schedule an actual time for them to deliver. If I call the day before and ask for an 8:00 am delivery and they say they can't deliver until 10:00 am, that is fine. I'll work around those two hours. But if they tell me they will be there at 8:00 and don't show up until 9:00, I'm pissed.

jmacd
08-16-2012, 05:04 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

I understand your frustration, I have lived what your talking about for years. Most of my jobs are rate pay so a minimum hourly is $48/hour. My point is try other suppliers, I would be willing to bet that you will experience the same service at some point.

If your usage is large, like everyday than that will have an effect. The price, quality, quantity delivered is also factors. My point was don't jump to fast, try others and you could end up back were you are, only thing is at that point your current supplier could know that you have given others your business.

LTL
08-17-2012, 12:26 PM
It sounds to me that coordinating was the issue not he late truck driver.

DVS Hardscaper
08-17-2012, 03:52 PM
It sounds to me that coordinating was the issue not he late truck driver.

Oh, how's that?
Posted via Mobile Device

LTL
08-18-2012, 08:11 AM
The soil should have already been delivered and on the ground many hours before the guys were ready for it. 1 hour late by the truck driver should not have mattered.
I can, however, understand the frustration of truck drivers. I deal with them frequently. I order materials not when I need them but before I need them.

rawtoxic
08-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Here is my rules to avoid this from happening. Every supplier no matter how good will be late at sometime. They have road side truck scales, things go wrong for truckers just like you and me, etc. I have found that I do two things that really help.

1) Order materials a few hours before I think we will need them
2) Try and get the first delivery of the day so less can go wrong

Duekster
08-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Here is my rules to avoid this from happening. Every supplier no matter how good will be late at sometime. They have road side truck scales, things go wrong for truckers just like you and me, etc. I have found that I do two things that really help.

Good advice... Same applies to Dr visits, air travel and so forth.

zedosix
08-18-2012, 12:46 PM
We order large quantities of granular the day before, its just good planning

jmacd
08-18-2012, 01:33 PM

I can kill an hour at the gas station by the time I use the bathroom, get coffee, and fill up.

DVS Hardscaper
08-18-2012, 01:36 PM
The soil should have already been delivered and on the ground many hours before the guys were ready for it. 1 hour late by the truck driver should not have mattered.
I can, however, understand the frustration of truck drivers. I deal with them frequently. I order materials not when I need them but before I need them.

Well buddy, thanks for the feedback.

But what cloud do you live on? LOL Your scenario would be great if we lived in a perfect world. I do not feel that you have much experience in excavating / grading.

However, before you can spread top soil, you must grade. You must carve the land to ensure proper water run off etc. after the grading is complete, which for what we do we're able to accomplish in one day. Usually moving 150 to 200 cubic yards of fill, with a skid steer from the driveway to the back. And then we spread top soil. It's impossible to stage 20 to 40 cubic yards of top soil onsite when you have back to back trucks of fill rolling in every 30 min. on a 1/4 acre property. We do about 30 to 40 of these jobs a year, an are embarking on our 4th yr with this division.

Grading is usually completed around 1700 or 1800 hrs. Top soil delivery is always scheduled for first thing the following morning.

If you knew what we do and saw how fast we do it - you would be impressed. We have a routine downpat. It's pretty cool.

So making negative comments about people's practices is nothing more than an individual with a negative mind :)

If a supplier can't do as they say - then they should communicate. Either by calling and saying they will be late,
Or simply by not agreeing to the times requested.

You can flip the coin over all you want, but an agreement is an agreement. If you can't fulfill - then don't agree to it.

Even a hardscape job for example. There is usually no room to stage top soil for a day without disturbing more turf.
Posted via Mobile Device

TriCountyLawn
08-18-2012, 01:59 PM
And if there was room to stage who would want to handle the material more than once.

I fight this kinda thing but its not like I have dropped anywhere close to the coin other contractors have so I just do my best to be the first delivery of the day. But I have recently been put out by others poor planning and had a rental machine sitting waiting for the delivery and counting down the time in which I have the machine for that day. Pretty frustrating stuff.

GreenI.A.
08-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Well buddy, thanks for the feedback.

But what cloud do you live on? LOL Your scenario would be great if we lived in a perfect world. I do not feel that you have much experience in excavating / grading.

However, before you can spread top soil, you must grade. You must carve the land to ensure proper water run off etc. after the grading is complete, which for what we do we're able to accomplish in one day. Usually moving 150 to 200 cubic yards of fill, with a skid steer from the driveway to the back. And then we spread top soil. It's impossible to stage 20 to 40 cubic yards of top soil onsite when you have back to back trucks of fill rolling in every 30 min. on a 1/4 acre property. We do about 30 to 40 of these jobs a year, an are embarking on our 4th yr with this division.

Grading is usually completed around 1700 or 1800 hrs. Top soil delivery is always scheduled for first thing the following morning.

If you knew what we do and saw how fast we do it - you would be impressed. We have a routine downpat. It's pretty cool.

So making negative comments about people's practices is nothing more than an individual with a negative mind :)

If a supplier can't do as they say - then they should communicate. Either by calling and saying they will be late,
Or simply by not agreeing to the times requested.

You can flip the coin over all you want, but an agreement is an agreement. If you can't fulfill - then don't agree to it.

Even a hardscape job for example. There is usually no room to stage top soil for a day without disturbing more turf.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was going to respond with something very similar. Not all of us live in Oklahoma, some of us have to deal with tight properties. Evan worse than the description you gave, try a house in the city where there is no driveway or front lawn to stage materials. Instead you have to pay for two police details for the day while the delivery trucks have to double park and you must dump directly into the skidsteer bucket, dingo, concrete buggys, what ever you can get onsite to speed the process of handling the material. Not only are you paying for the detail but you are also paying your wholesaler more because their trucks need to be onsite for 30-45 minutes a piece.

Even worse, we did a design and proposal for a customer this spring on a busy narrow 1 way street. Same as above, no front yard or driveway for staging. The City wouldn't give us permits to block parking spaces. Tri-axles would not be able to make it down the street without blacking the spaces, it is tight enough getting a f350 mason dump through the street. Instead they were going to require us to park all the vehicles down the street about 700ft away. We would have to have all materials loaded/dumped at the second site, then we would have to move the materials the 700ft up and down the street by skidsteer. The city was also going to require us to have a 4 officer detail because of the equipment being run on the street. We didn't get that contract, a lowballer came in and gave a ridiculous price. Four hours into the first day of the job they got shut down by the city, they had blocked of the street to traffic and didn't know you need permits to do so. The job site still hasn't been touched after 4 months.

jmacd
08-18-2012, 08:54 PM
It is an interesting topic and a fun thread to read. Construction work of any kind is not easy or anybody would do it.

The only way I found to be in control of my time and profit is to do as much of the work as possible. I purchased a 1989 Mack dump truck back 10 years ago and a now have a second 2001 Mack dump. Although they are not real profit making machines they are mandatory in any kind of material moving.

Look at any companies that move any amount of material on daily basis and they have a dump truck. When you export material out what do you do? Hire a dump truck out to sit and be loaded?

Even the small landscapers, masons, or hardscapers here have a small dump truck. I understand the reluctance to spend the money but from what I have read DVS looks to be doing some volume and maybe it's time for him to buy a dump truck.

My business is not hardscaping so maybe I am living on a cloud. What would be your average quantity of material (yards) that need to be imported and exported in a week?

DVS Hardscaper
08-18-2012, 11:13 PM
It is an interesting topic and a fun thread to read. Construction work of any kind is not easy or anybody would do it.

The only way I found to be in control of my time and profit is to do as much of the work as possible. I purchased a 1989 Mack dump truck back 10 years ago and a now have a second 2001 Mack dump. Although they are not real profit making machines they are mandatory in any kind of material moving.

Look at any companies that move any amount of material on daily basis and they have a dump truck. When you export material out what do you do? Hire a dump truck out to sit and be loaded?

Even the small landscapers, masons, or hardscapers here have a small dump truck. I understand the reluctance to spend the money but from what I have read DVS looks to be doing some volume and maybe it's time for him to buy a dump truck.

My business is not hardscaping so maybe I am living on a cloud. What would be your average quantity of material (yards) that need to be imported and exported in a week?

I hear ya, but I will never buy a truck over 26,000 - 33,000 pounds.

The bulk of our work is in the DC / Northern VA area. That area is infested with dirt haulers. Most of them driving old, beat up trucks, and they haul for cheap. It's far cheaper to pay them.

Total different world in that market.

Now the top soil - thats a company that processes soil, sells, and delivers. The owner doesnt like to tell anyone "NO". He is so busy and thats why he cant make his deliveries on time. I really like the guy. But we cant sit around all morning and wait for his soil to get there.