PDA

View Full Version : Help with sprayer Plumbing setup

1ousooner
08-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Here's the short and skinny.....I have a 200 gallon horizontal leg tank (flat bottom) that I want to rig up and dedicate to sterilant jobs. Already have the engine and diaphragm pumps that I want so that's no issue. What I'm struggling with is the plumbing. Since I'll be running mostly WP's and granular Chems in the tank should I make the bulkhead that's on the end of the tank my suction port or should I insert my jet agitation inlet there? If I make that the suction I'll never be able to completely empty the tank. My original plan was to make it agitation but just thought I'd better ask around as there may be something I'm overlooking. Thanks in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
08-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Can you cut another hole in bottom of tank?
Posted via Mobile Device

1ousooner
08-09-2012, 05:43 PM
I'd rather not, I know that's the way my skid sprayers are plumbed but cutting a hole in the bottom makes me worry about leaks. I don't own a space saver rig but the pics I've seen look like they run all the plumbing out of the top o the tank. Maybe I'm wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
08-09-2012, 05:46 PM
I'd rather not, I know that's the way my skid sprayers are plumbed but cutting a hole in the bottom makes me worry about leaks. I don't own a space saver rig but the pics I've seen look like they run all the plumbing out of the top o the tank. Maybe I'm wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

You only need a threaded pipe with two jam nuts and silicone washers. You may even be able to glue it with epoxy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-09-2012, 06:16 PM
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=364

1ousooner
08-09-2012, 06:16 PM
I was trying to get around putting the tank on a skid and cutting a hole in it....however that may be the correct option, not sure yet. I guess what I'm really trying to get at is can I get around doing that? Can all the plumbing (aside from the current bulkhead on the tank) be ran out of the top effectively? If I need to cut a hole I will but I'd like options.
Posted via Mobile Device

1ousooner
08-09-2012, 06:17 PM
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=364

If I go this route do I need an anti vortex drain? It appears my current skids have that, again I could be wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
08-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Does the tank have a second hole beside fill lid?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-09-2012, 06:24 PM
I was trying to get around putting the tank on a skid and cutting a hole in it....however that may be the correct option, not sure yet. I guess what I'm really trying to get at is can I get around doing that? Can all the plumbing (aside from the current bulkhead on the tank) be ran out of the top effectively? If I need to cut a hole I will but I'd like options.
Posted via Mobile Device

While there are draw back you can tap the top of the tank and run a PVC pipe to the bottom as your suction intake. One problem is Pump can push better than they pull. It will take more power to deliver less material to the pump if it draws it up a pipe. I do this on a small 12V sprayer and it works OK.

Ric
08-09-2012, 06:28 PM

Not seeing your actual tank and pump puts me at a disadvantage to guide you. However can install a Elbow on the Present fitting to reach the bottom and suck up almost everything. You want a little gap so your pump isn'r sucking up trash.

cgaengineer
08-09-2012, 06:29 PM
While there are draw back you can tap the top of the tank and run a PVC pipe to the bottom as your suction intake. One problem is Pump can push better than they pull. It will take more power to deliver less material to the pump if it draws it up a pipe. I do this on a small 12V sprayer and it works OK.

Using your idea, how about he sucks from the bottom and puts return in the top?
Posted via Mobile Device

1ousooner
08-09-2012, 06:36 PM

Not seeing your actual tank and pump puts me at a disadvantage to guide you. However can install a Elbow on the Present fitting to reach the bottom and suck up almost everything. You want a little gap so your pump isn'r sucking up trash.

Ric for some reason an elbow fitting never occurred to me...sometimes you just need a fresh eye on the problem. I think that would work great, and then I can use one of those brass hose end agitators (the one with 3 outlets) dropped in from the top....correct?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Ric for some reason an elbow fitting never occurred to me...sometimes you just need a fresh eye on the problem. I think that would work great, and then I can use one of those brass hose end agitators (the one with 3 outlets) dropped in from the top....correct?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds like a winner to me.

By using a PVC street elbow you can either add a Nipple to make it deeper or cut off the Elbow to fit a shallow tank.

Depending on the type of Pump and pressure release valve. You don't want any restriction on the pressure release line.

Ric
08-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Using your idea, how about he sucks from the bottom and puts return in the top?
Posted via Mobile Device

Re-reading this, Let me add that return lines that enter from the top of the tank should be plumbed to the bottom. By discharging under water you don't create Foaming action. If you do get foaming in your tank, There is a air suction leak somewhere in your system.

cgaengineer
08-12-2012, 11:53 AM
I read his post as maybe he had a hole in one side of tank...right or left...not sure if this is the case. I know he has drain hole in bottom...so that could be his suction.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
08-13-2012, 09:32 PM
A used a return line agitation setup. It entered the top of the tank where I cut a hole with a hole saw. You need a special fitting called a thru-tank-fitting (comes with rubber gaskets.) Same fitting used on flat spot in bottom outflow (but a larger diameter).
My return line had a poly tube leading to the bottom of the tank. Its output was three agitation nozzles.

If...you want to use a bottom drain...no problem...use a hole saw and cut a hole in your truck...and cut a second hole near the pump to bring it back up. Naturally you have to repair the holes before you sell your truck 10 years from now.