PDA

View Full Version : License Help

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
08-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Hey guys,

I plan on calling my extension office to confirm, but was hoping that someone else had this issue that might have a little info. I couldn't find a definite answer. I'm licensed in turf and ornamental is sc thats cat 3. If I were to spray a drainage ditch I guess this is what it you be. Water from parking lots are directed in this area which holds the water untilit naturally drains out. Someone help me out might be something diferent. There is no standing water 99% of the time only after a hard rain. Anyway if I spray this area which is part of a commerical office landscape does it fall under my current license or is an aquatic license needed? I'm awre aquatic pesticides are needed that is another issue all together, but I'm just wondering about the license and I'm just to impatient to wait till monday. Again I'm still calling to confirm just looking for some general guidance. Thanks guys.

agrostis
08-10-2012, 09:28 PM
That is a waterway and would require a aquatic license.

Ric
08-11-2012, 11:55 AM
That is a waterway and would require a aquatic license.

They also require a Aquatic Labeled Pesticides. Roundup is not an Aquatic Herbicide and the surfactant not only mutate Frogs, but blind fish.

Hissing Cobra
08-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Yep, you'd probably need the Aquatic license and you must be careful which products you choose, as the only ones that can be used in that situation, will be labeled for it. Aquaneat or Rodeo are products that you could probably use.

Ric
08-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Yep, you'd probably need the Aquatic license and you must be careful which products you choose, as the only ones that can be used in that situation, will be labeled for it. Aquaneat or Rodeo are products that you could probably use.

If you do much Aquatic Work, Chemical cost becomes important because of the sheer Volume Needed. Major Chemical supplier like Helena Chemical have salesman who are very knowledgeable on Aquatic Herbicides and can cut you the Best Prices. On line Pond Chemical stores will have fancy names and Higher prices for watered down Chemicals.

agrostis
08-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Hey guys,

I plan on calling my extension office to confirm, but was hoping that someone else had this issue that might have a little info. I couldn't find a definite answer. I'm licensed in turf and ornamental is sc thats cat 3. If I were to spray a drainage ditch I guess this is what it you be. Water from parking lots are directed in this area which holds the water untilit naturally drains out. Someone help me out might be something diferent. There is no standing water 99% of the time only after a hard rain. Anyway if I spray this area which is part of a commerical office landscape does it fall under my current license or is an aquatic license needed? I'm awre aquatic pesticides are needed that is another issue all together, but I'm just wondering about the license and I'm just to impatient to wait till monday. Again I'm still calling to confirm just looking for some general guidance. Thanks guys.

This is a good example of why T&O applicator's should get a aquatic license.

Ric
08-12-2012, 06:04 PM
This is a good example of why T&O applicator's should get a aquatic license.

If you think L&O has a Learning Curve forget Aquatic. I am not saying the fast weed spray requires a lot of knowledge. It does require knowing decomposing weeds use up Oxygen and can kill fish if you spray to many weeds at one time.

If you think Crab Grass is Hard to kill, Don't try Hyrilla, Pondweed or Coontail Etc which are all submersed weeds. Water Quality is a science all by itself and to be a good Aquatic Applicator you must understand Water quality and preserve it.

DLCS
08-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Now are "all" ditches considered waterways? If thats the case, then every applicator in my area should have an aquatics license because the majority of lawns here actually have a ditch out front to catch run off.

agrostis
08-12-2012, 07:32 PM
I agree, most applicator's will not ever get a aquatic license because of the learning curve involved. But most people don't realize how much of their spraying overlap's into a aquatic environment. I'll bet in NC there are 100 T&O applicator's to every 5 aquatic applicator's. Look at how few response's you had to your aquatic post a few month's ago, and there is money to be made from that kind of weed control.

DLCS
08-12-2012, 07:35 PM
I agree, most applicator's will not ever get a aquatic license because of the learning curve involved. But most people don't realize how much of their spraying overlap's into a aquatic environment. I'll bet in NC there are 100 T&O applicator's to every 5 aquatic applicator's. Look at how few response's you had to your aquatic post a few month's ago, and there is money to be made from that kind of weed control.

This is why I want an aquatic license because no one in my area has one.

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
08-13-2012, 02:28 PM
wow guys thanks for the help. I have to agree no one around me has one but we don't really have a big market for it either I guess if I get the bid I'll be back asking abunch of questions on aquatics.