PDA

View Full Version : Drought issues

jonlavonne
08-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Anyone having crack issues in your paver installs or wall issues with old installs due to the severe drought?

scagrider22
08-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Thats a new one???

jonlavonne
08-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Obviously no ones familiar with the expansive clay soils we have here in Missouri. Very familiar with being smartasses tho! We have two and three inch cracks in our lawns here and I have a few older installs with cracks opening up inthe middle of patios and walks.

scagrider22
08-11-2012, 04:34 PM
So then your not actually getting cracks in your pavers then! Geo fabrics are your friend :)

jonlavonne
08-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Always use geo fabrics.

tadpole
08-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Does this relate to problem?

http://web.mst.edu/~rogersda/expansive_soils/DAMAGE%20TO%20FOUNDATIONS%20FROM%20EXPANSIVE%20SOILS.pdf

jbailey52
08-11-2012, 11:38 PM
I guess I'm naive to the situation. But I would assume the same reason asphalt driveways (I understand they are a type of uni-piece for lack of better word) don't just split apart, but when we run into heavy clay we probably use 5-10" of 3/4 clean before our modified base with a geo textile fabric. I don't see that causing a failure in a base that big. Are you having this happen to patios you have installed?

(also I did replace those dead pavers, but told the homeowner I would only this once)

zedosix
08-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Wow I can't believe some of the responses especially with those
who claim too know it all!
Our soil conditions here range from sand to rock near the city but in the outlying region to the east of ottawa is mostly a heavy clay soil. So back to the original question, yes we are seeing the paver jobs (on occasion) split, just as if you took a shovel and separated the joints. One of my jobs in particular split from half way down the driveway up to the front door, this was during the drought of 2008. We also had an asphalt driveway split almost the full length in June of the same year only 2 weeks after it installed and the owner hadn't even parked on it (they were on holidays) this year we are or were in a drought situation and are seeing this happening again. Over the years we have had to replace approx 5 or 6 asphalt driveways. When the ground dries and shrinks it will shift and anything above it will be affected even with the use of geo tex. If you find the answer to how to prevent this from happening then please share it with me! I switched the type of Poly sand I use from permacons sp(which cracks and stays open if the brick moves) to the envirobond which stays flexible, it's not the answer but it helps to hide the effect
Posted via Mobile Device

jonlavonne
08-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Thank you zedosix for your response. I really was just wondering if anybody else was experiencing the same problems. I'm telling my customers to wait until we get back to normal moisture levels and see what happens. I don't really think it would be wise to attempt a repair now. They seem to understand that these are unprecedented conditions.

jbailey52
08-12-2012, 07:51 PM
That's amazing. Now this isn't me taking a stab at awful humor, but would something like this happen at a irrigated home? (maybe watering the pavers ISN'T a bad idea :dancing:)

all ferris
08-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Yeah, there are some pretty smart azz replies to this thread from some self proclaimed know it alls.

Back to topic. I have never seen a patio separate because of drought but I could see it happen. Right now the cracks in the ground are big enough that you better not drop your keys. Also, the cracks are numerous. I have heard of basement foundations cracking in drought conditions due to the earth pulling away from the foundation.

grizzly
08-13-2012, 07:57 AM
I am having issues on my personal patio where the clay has shrunk away from the paver patio and some of the outer ring of pavers are cracking away.

DVS Hardscaper
08-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Warranty.

How bout warranty?

While we're on the subject, my house came with a one yr warranty. Most patios are warrantied for five. I think that's great for selling but terrible in terms of risk and liability. Here is an example of the risk.

Does your warranty sheet address shrinking of the soil?
Posted via Mobile Device

jonlavonne
08-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Obviously this issue is not a result of shoddy work and not the installers fault. I guess I have mixed feelings about fixing the problem. I will probably do the repairs free of charge if it seems to be an issue. This is an issue I may want to address with future installs to protect myself from this. We too are seeing issues with foundations and concrete drives and walks. Watering your foundation is a must when it gets this bad.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
08-16-2012, 10:30 PM
What region of Mo are you from? All of Mo is DRY to the bone....southwest is 12" down on rain. I'm soaking an inherited pond right now just so it's workable.

July has been one helluva ride this summer, I'm so glad the heat has broke. Hi of 78* tomorrow, so I'm glad I have my Carhardts in the truck. Thankful for the installs this year because maintenance is non existent.

Red Shed Landscaping
08-23-2012, 01:24 AM
I started getting calls after I read this thread about how the pavers are separating. I haven't heard anything before but now that I read about it people seem to be calling. One we did only a month ago and another we did last fall. The pavers have separated in areas. I took up a few pavers and the sand and gravel was cracked as well. We put fabric under the gravel base too. It is so strange that this is happening but seems to be from the drought since I have never had this happen before. Right now I am just filling in with more polymer and hope that fixes it unless someone has a different answer.

DVS Hardscaper
08-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Sounds like a disadvantage of using pavers.

Just think - there are contractors that do 30 plus jobs a year and have been doing that many for the last 4 years. What if 120 clients call and want their separated pavers fixed?

Posted via Mobile Device