PDA

View Full Version : Disposal of chemicals

fglong
08-10-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm in Florida but my daughter in massachusetts has a next door neighbor that runs an application business out his house, six trucks, vans, with gas powered granular spreaders. When the applicaters get back to his house at end of day, they walk the spreaders to the side of his house and use the hose to clean the machines. How can this be legal? My daughter says she often feels neaseaous sp? when outside, but when I saw this while visiting, I don't wonder why. One guy had a lot of buildup on spreader, so he must have quite a lot of chem leeching thru his gravel drive. Any thoughts licensed apps?

Chilehead
08-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Your best bet would be to have your daughter call code enforcement and lodge a complaint. If the LCO is breaking the law, he'll be warned.

nighthawk117
08-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Really ?? I have a few yard that get 200 lbs of fert, and you are complaining of rinsed residue off a spreader ? :hammerhead:

White Gardens
08-11-2012, 10:09 AM
What if the guy is hosing off a spreader that has a Pre-Em in it or Insecticide?

????????

agrostis
08-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Regardless of whether or not the product washed out of those spreader's is doing any harm or not, it is illegal for ANY business to rinse out spreader's at a private home like that in ANY state in the US. A homeowner could do it, not a business. You are setting yourself up for a lawsuit that you WILL lose doing it like that.

greendoctor
08-11-2012, 07:11 PM
How true. Any wash out of equipment is supposed to be done at the site of usage. Doing it at home is turning your yard into a chemical disposal site.

Toy2
08-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Around here some of the LCO, Mexi's using old gas as weed killer and chemical edge........its getting crazy....

nighthawk117
08-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Hmmm, just re-read this and see that it's a residence. In what town are you allowed to run a business of that size from a residence in Ma ?? Is he even legit ? :confused:

Duekster
08-11-2012, 07:25 PM
They should be used not disposed of however washing equipment is legal provided it does not go down the storm drain. Is the grass dead where he washes?

greendoctor
08-11-2012, 08:17 PM
In Taxachussetts and Moscow York, there might be laws about how you are required to collect washings from equipment and turn it over to Hazmat. For a very hefty fee. I am glad that the law in my state is to clean out equipment on site of usage. Creation and storage of hazardous wastes is neither mandated nor allowed.

DLCS
08-11-2012, 09:36 PM
How true. Any wash out of equipment is supposed to be done at the site of usage. Doing it at home is turning your yard into a chemical disposal site.

Ok, I agree about washing out equipment at home, not being a good idea. But do you guys really was your fertilizer spreaders at a customers property?

Stuttering Stan
08-11-2012, 09:43 PM
What harm would it do to have a pesticide inspector ensure the business is operating within the law?
Posted via Mobile Device

humble1
08-12-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm in Florida but my daughter in massachusetts has a next door neighbor that runs an application business out his house, six trucks, vans, with gas powered granular spreaders. When the applicaters get back to his house at end of day, they walk the spreaders to the side of his house and use the hose to clean the machines. How can this be legal? My daughter says she often feels neaseaous sp? when outside, but when I saw this while visiting, I don't wonder why. One guy had a lot of buildup on spreader, so he must have quite a lot of chem leeching thru his gravel drive. Any thoughts licensed apps?

LaScola,Taryn Pesticide Inspector, Crop & Pest Services 617-626-1782
Taryn.LaScola@state.ma.us

Here you go all you need to do is call.

fglong
08-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the replys. What I wanted to do first was go over and talk to him about maybe making other arrangments, with more info than I had at the time. So you guys have been very helpful. It smelled like an insectide to me, and I wasn't sure what you guys in the northeast use at this time of year. My daughter is not hypersensitive, she didn't mention feeling sick until I told her about what I saw while laying pavers. The one guy I saw might have been caught in the rain, he had about half a bag caught up under his spreader. x 6 spreaders x what- 2-3 weeks for just insecticide. Thought I had reason for concern.

RigglePLC
08-13-2012, 09:48 PM
At rue green in 1979 we rinsed spreaders with the fert residue down the floor drains. Lucky they got a bit more responsible in the following years.

Problematical. Once on my own, almost never rinsed out my fert spreader--because--there was no legal way to do it--and no legal way to dispose of the residue. Rinsed at end of year--and killed some of my grass. LOL.

This is a sticky situation if you happen to get a bit of rain in a spreader full of crab control, Talstar or imidicloprid...what do you do?

Your suggestions?

ted putnam
08-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Best way to do it is to build a catch basin with a drain that can be pumped out occasionally into a wastewater tank. Waste Water can then be tranferred into spray tanks a little at a time to dispose of it. I don't have this setup but have seen it before. I rebag all fert. It's too expensive to waste. I spread any crumbs that might be left on my own lawn. I blow the entire machine off with a leaf blower. I then rinse my machine off over my own lawn. I do this about once a week. I have not killed a spot in my lawn yet and my lawn uses what is rinsed from the machine. I have a Bass Pond next to my house. No Algae Blooms. No 3-legged frogs and certainly no Fish kills in 8 yrs. I have a waste water tank for leftover tank mix but I have no catch basin and no way to dispose of solids. I operate from my shop/residence and it is perfectly legal for me to do so in this state.

CL&T
08-14-2012, 01:20 AM
What do you do with the contents of the wastewater tank for leftover tank mix? Is it the same tank you put the catch basin rinsate in? If so you have no problem with putting that "wiches brew" in with your spray tank mix?

ted putnam
08-14-2012, 02:53 AM
What do you do with the contents of the wastewater tank for leftover tank mix? Is it the same tank you put the catch basin rinsate in? If so you have no problem with putting that "wiches brew" in with your spray tank mix?

90% of my customer base has bermuda lawns. Ususally what is left over was sprayed on bermuda anyway. I try to fill only what I need so at the end of a round there might be 10-15 gals left. At the end of a year I might have 50 gals at the most.

You add 5-10 gals to a 300 gal tank mix the following Spring and do this each day until it is gone. I've never had a problem doing this and the waste water is spread over several acres and disposed of without incident.

I suppose I could just pump it in the creek behind the shop and be done with it but that just didn't seem like a good thing to do.:hammerhead:

Do you have a better solution for the disposal of waste water? What do you do with yours?

cgaengineer
08-14-2012, 04:22 AM
90% of my customer base has bermuda lawns. Ususally what is left over was sprayed on bermuda anyway. I try to fill only what I need so at the end of a round there might be 10-15 gals left. At the end of a year I might have 50 gals at the most.

You add 5-10 gals to a 300 gal tank mix the following Spring and do this each day until it is gone. I've never had a problem doing this and the waste water is spread over several acres and disposed of without incident.

I suppose I could just pump it in the creek behind the shop and be done with it but that just didn't seem like a good thing to do.:hammerhead:

Do you have a better solution for the disposal of waste water? What do you do with yours?

This is similar to what I do if I have leftovers, and since I treat all Bermuda lawns I can go from an nearly empty RU tank to 3way or other chemical without even a rinse. I apply a pretty good bit of RU through my skids...many hundred gallons per season...never a problem on Bermuda.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-14-2012, 11:01 AM

With the Tree Hugger Granola Nut movement so strong I fear the worst on my own property. I heard tales in other areas about Pesticide sites being inspected by the EPA etc. I am in a year round market and have many dedicated sprayers, so I don't clean very much equipment on my own property. But I would hate to have the EPA doing Core Samples.

If I had rental property I wouldn't rent to anyone with Chemicals etc. If I wasn't in the pesticide business, I would want anyone in my neighborhood with Pesticide and cleaning tanks etc. What I am saying is while personally I see no great harm, I fear the liberal Green People and the hassle they could cause.

If my neighbor has one maybe two Business trucks at his house, Fine I have no problem that how the small guy makes a nice living, I do it. But 6 truck and employees that come and go each morning and each night, it is time for a Commercial shop. Most counties have Zoning or Code ordinances that even effect companies cars parked out side. At one time I had Blank Magnetic signs to cover up the Company name on my truck so I could park it outside.

RigglePLC
08-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Makes sense , Ric and Ted.
Wet fertilizer is difficult to dispose of. I have placed it on a plastic tarp--dried it inside for a couple days. Break it up our through spreader screen, and spread as best I could with spreader. The remaining lumps I used to throw under trees and bushes to feed them.

Wet Merit granular is messy--pasty. Dry it --put it in bag; stand on it to break it up; try to spread as best I could. I usually used a plastic laundry basket as a better filter instead of the usual spreader screen. It had about 3/8 inch openings. I usually used my spreader with one big hole opening. I put duct tape over the far left and far right holes. Max opening was about 3/4 inch.

Pre-emergent crabgrass control granular is problematical--you cannot put it in liquid tank because it usually has sulfer coated granules. Dry it--break it up--but do not throw lumps in bushes as it may damage the roots, if it becomes concentrated in one spot.

Ric
08-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Makes sense , Ric and Ted.
Wet fertilizer is difficult to dispose of. I have placed it on a plastic tarp--dried it inside for a couple days. Break it up our through spreader screen, and spread as best I could with spreader. The remaining lumps I used to throw under trees and bushes to feed them.

Wet Merit granular is messy--pasty. Dry it --put it in bag; stand on it to break it up; try to spread as best I could. I usually used a plastic laundry basket as a better filter instead of the usual spreader screen. It had about 3/8 inch openings. I usually used my spreader with one big hole opening. I put duct tape over the far left and far right holes. Max opening was about 3/4 inch.

Pre-emergent crabgrass control granular is problematical--you cannot put it in liquid tank because it usually has sulfer coated granules. Dry it--break it up--but do not throw lumps in bushes as it may damage the roots, if it becomes concentrated in one spot.

You are a better man than I Gunga Din. After Hurricane Charlie I had over a Pallet of Wet Fert. I tried but was never able to dry and spread it. I am not saying you wrong for trying to use wet fert, But you know it is already losing nutrients when it gets wets. Trying to save it and the environment is the important thing.