View Full Version : Drip line vs Soaker hose

recycledsole
08-11-2012, 06:15 AM
Hello guys
i am new to this, and wondering which is better, for what purpose
thanks

greenmonster304
08-11-2012, 08:07 AM
If you like to fix leaks and have the fittings not fit right use soaker.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
08-11-2012, 12:13 PM
If you like algae build-up and enjoy changing the hoses every season, go soaker! :clapping:

Wet_Boots
08-11-2012, 12:36 PM
I did a soaker-hose shrub line, on account of it was going to be fed from a city water hose-bib-on-a-zone-valve that was in place and not being used. No horrible consequences yet, but it isn't five years installed.

rlitman
08-11-2012, 12:36 PM
If you like watering everything at one end of the hose, and having no water make it to the far side, choose the soaker.

Wet_Boots
08-11-2012, 01:07 PM
I chose the soaker hose setup on account of a cheapskate owner and a desire to have the work possess natural drainage. If it was going in from scratch today, it would be something more like Techline CV

recycledsole
08-11-2012, 03:58 PM
hahaha soaker hose is bad?
Ill have to learn drip line. are there any tutorials?

Wet_Boots
08-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Read the Netafim tutorials

Duekster
08-11-2012, 05:37 PM
I use a soaker hose on my own home. It is about 10 years old. I move it around to deep water my foundation.

I did not install my irrigation system and too lazy to work on it much. :D

Mike Leary
08-11-2012, 05:41 PM
I use a soaker hose on my own home. It is about 10 years old. I move it around to deep water my foundation.

I did not install my irrigation system and too lazy to work on it much. :D

:laugh: How many contractors ever find time to install their own home systems? I never did. :cry:

Duekster
08-11-2012, 05:42 PM
:laugh: How many contractors ever find time to install their own home systems? I never did. :cry:

I will fix some things from time to time but my wife claims she is the cobblers daughter. :drinkup:

greenmonster304
08-11-2012, 06:16 PM

**** that sh!t. Then you have to cut the grass every week
Posted via Mobile Device

Stuttering Stan
08-11-2012, 06:44 PM

2nd that. I sprinkled the front turf with material left over from other jobs. Probably a coupling every 10 ft with salvaged rotors. Im embarrassed to show the system when guests come over.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
08-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Gardena oscillators, wind-up timers and lots of hose saved my marriage. I was lucky enough to salvage some quick-couples with hose swivels from a job, and, at least, spotted them where the wife could get to them. All the while, I was doing megas with RainMaster clocks, etc! :dizzy:

Duekster
08-11-2012, 07:28 PM
I am sure those quick-couple hose swivels did wonders for the marriage.

Wet_Boots
08-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Or in other words.....

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/grrreg_01/fs116.gif

rlitman
08-13-2012, 09:40 AM

LOL. Are you trying to grow another story on your house?

Duekster
08-13-2012, 04:37 PM
LOL. Are you trying to grow another story on your house?

We have expansive clay so in the summer you need to keep thesoil near foundation moist. If you do not the ground cracks open and shrinks. The foundation will crack and fall too.

rlitman
08-13-2012, 05:13 PM
We have expansive clay so in the summer you need to keep thesoil near foundation moist.

Interesting. I learn something every day, but I still like my first impression more. ;)

Wet_Boots
08-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Is there any remediation available for those expansive soils, even to excavating and replacing it?

Duekster
08-13-2012, 07:05 PM
The fact of the matter is it should not happen with proper site preparation. It does happen often enough that founation repair in Texas is big business. Watering the foundation is cheap insurance.

Sometimes if is just a cumlative issue that happens over 20 to 30 years old on well prepared foundations or it happens relative quick on poor construction.

I have seen our soil crack open 4 to 6 inches wide on typical summers and more in bad droughts that you could break a leg in.

TuffWork
08-15-2012, 09:13 PM
It happens here ALOT. There's a company here in the panhandle that seem to be the only big name in foundation repair, and they are making a killing. My mow crew guys hate all the soaker hoses around the houses when trying to weedeat. Especially when the customer is a renter. They always hook them up to the faucets with a timer.

I would be interested to learn about their techniques to fix them. I know one is to drill underneath the house, and then fill the cavity with a bubble of some sort to lift the foundation back into place.

Duekster
08-15-2012, 10:26 PM
The guy next door to me at the shop keeps telling me to get into the business. I would have no idea how to bid it or how to determine where to jack the house. Many of the bigger firms around here advertise like mad. Celebrity endorsements, and such. Many of them have engineers on staff too.

1idejim
08-15-2012, 11:33 PM
Many of them have engineers on staff too.

Where do they park their trains?
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
08-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Where do they park their trains?
Posted via Mobile Device

In the basement, Stationary Engineers :rolleyes: