PDA

View Full Version : My new toy ordered

humble1
08-11-2012, 09:31 AM
I just ordered a Z-plugger loaded, will be here mid Sept.

I used to be able to bang out 4-5 big lawns with my tow behind and overseeding. I hope I can double that.

I know what I can get on for hills with the z-spray intermediate, how should I do with the z- plugger?

If anyone is int in a used Ryan electric lift tow behind or 48" tow behind bluebird I just posted in used equip. Pictures to follow.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
08-11-2012, 09:35 AM
So are you getting the slit seeder attachment too? It seems to be a VERY versatile machine, especially if you could fert/spray with it too. Congratulations, I hope you love it. Give us some pics and reviews.

Efficiency
08-11-2012, 11:16 AM
welcome to the club

WestGaPineStraw
08-11-2012, 12:43 PM
The trick with the plugger is to go up and down the hills. I've climbed some really steep places with it. You'll love it, did you get the hopper. I have the spray system and it does well.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassmasterswilson
08-11-2012, 06:10 PM
I will be interested in some updates from users. I have the lawn solutions ride on. It is a great product, but since they sold to exmark/toro I'm not sure about service or parts. I'm also tentative in running it hard because of the chain system. Repair of chains could be tough in the field.

I love the fact that the LT Rich tines are independent. So in theory you could run it very hard and the worse that could happen would be break a tine. Which is pretty easy to fix. I worry about the down pressure on compacted soil. Will it pull deep plugs?

I have a LT rich sprayer and might consider selling my LS ride on and getting a LT plugger....wish I had done it at the very begginning. LT rich service is awesome.

chris7826
08-12-2012, 06:17 PM
I've been seriously thinking about going this route. I'll be anxious to hear your reviews, thanks!

humble1
09-12-2012, 07:10 AM
So I have about 10 hours on this, it is long and heavy doesnt turn like my z-spray, tore up some lawns. Def has a learning curve. Once you get the edges done you fly. A couple of things, and I hope Ray, or Andy at LT Rich read these threads. There is a hyd up down valve that is mounted on my left, the problem is that on my z spray and z plug I steer w. my left hand and pull hopper on off with my right, I have to reach across to raise head and use forearm to stop seed flow. It would have been nice if I could have had it mounted to the right side. The other thing is if you could mount some sort of guage with an arrow next to the piston so that when you go down and find that sweet spot for depth where you plug instead of rip and tear you would know what it is. Other than that great machine.

vaacutabove
09-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Would u spray with it as well. Been looking at all the ride ons for next season and if i could spray comfortable with it i could sell two of the thee walk behinds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Efficiency
09-12-2012, 02:54 PM
So I have about 10 hours on this, it is long and heavy doesnt turn like my z-spray, tore up some lawns. Def has a learning curve. Once you get the edges done you fly. A couple of things, and I hope Ray, or Andy at LT Rich read these threads. There is a hyd up down valve that is mounted on my left, the problem is that on my z spray and z plug I steer w. my left hand and pull hopper on off with my right, I have to reach across to raise head and use forearm to stop seed flow. It would have been nice if I could have had it mounted to the right side. The other thing is if you could mount some sort of guage with an arrow next to the piston so that when you go down and find that sweet spot for depth where you plug instead of rip and tear you would know what it is. Other than that great machine.
Andy told me hes trying to locate the lever on the right as it does make sense. I would agree with the other comments too.

Would not want to spray with this after using just a zspray honestly. The hopper is great for overseeding but our zplug doesnt even have an adjustable spinner as the zsprays do. (something I was disapointed in)

ZSpray Info
09-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Andy told me hes trying to locate the lever on the right as it does make sense. I would agree with the other comments too.

Would not want to spray with this after using just a zspray honestly. The hopper is great for overseeding but our zplug doesnt even have an adjustable spinner as the zsprays do. (something I was disapointed in)

The lift valve is able to be mounted on the right side if the user so chooses.

The holes are laser cut, so it is a pretty easy swap.

Efficiency, I am unsure what you mean about an adjustable spinner. The Zplugs with the 120 lb hopper attachment have the same components as our sprayers. The granular spread width can be adjusted from 4 to 25'.

Efficiency
09-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Sorry Andy. Was wrong about the spreader spread adjustability. Assumed since there was no stop between 10 & 1, it didn't work. Checked today and was pleasantly surprised.

molley
10-01-2012, 12:45 AM
How do like your Z Plug?

humble1
10-01-2012, 07:56 AM
How do like your Z Plug?

Anything is better than walking, you still need a walk behind for corners and some be edges, you can't get in close with beds with curvy edges. The machine is heavy which is good for pulling plugs but I tear long tire marks on any kind of incline, the machine breaks away going across anything steep. Going up hills , the machine can go up steep hills, but the tires don't have the ability to keep you going and rip into the ground. Forget anything soft the machine is a boat anchor. So it is slow to turn around. We worked side by side w another company using a lawn solutions and he was able to run circles around us due to the time it takes to turn around I was pulling better plugs though. However felt embarrassed about the slower speed. In ideal world I would own one of each if lawn solutions didn't have the chain drive probs
Posted via Mobile Device

RABBITMAN11
10-01-2012, 08:04 AM
Anything is better than walking, you still need a walk behind for corners and some be edges, you can't get in close with beds with curvy edges. The machine is heavy which is good for pulling plugs but I tear long tire marks on any kind of incline, the machine breaks away going across anything steep. Going up hills , the machine can go up steep hills, but the tires don't have the ability to keep you going and rip into the ground. Forget anything soft the machine is a boat anchor. So it is slow to turn around. We worked side by side w another company using a lawn solutions and he was able to run circles around us due to the time it takes to turn around I was pulling better plugs though. However felt embarrassed about the slower speed. In ideal world I would own one of each if lawn solutions didn't have the chain drive probs
Posted via Mobile Device

What chain drive problems? I have been running mine for three years no chain problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

WestGaPineStraw
10-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds like you need more time on it. I can roll with mine, I agree some yards are more of a pain than others.
Posted via Mobile Device

humble1
10-02-2012, 07:19 AM
What chain drive problems? I have been running mine for three years no chain problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

Constant adjustments, chains coming off, there a ton of posts about that.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassmasterswilson
10-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Here is my 2 cents. I considered both machines when buying one. No one in my area had either, so I went with the lawn solutions ride on. I've had it 2 or 3 years and it has about 40-50 hours on it. Probably doesn't justify the cost, but I'm solo and it doesn't work me to death and should be able to get a long life out of it. I will say that I'm not a mechanic and don't know the inner workings of an engine. If I can see something I can usually fix or put a new one on, but am not able to take apart a carberatuer or anything.

Year 1-2 - I first got the LS and it worked fantastic. I could aerate at full speed and it was a breeze. As some use got put on it I started having chain problems and really had to slow down. The chain on one side was coming off and I heard a lot of popping. I was really starting to lose power on the top end of the speed or when it was under pressure. I really couldn't get much help from the guys at LS and closest service dealer was 100's of miles away. I really cused the machine and thought about selling it and getting the LT rich one. I tried to tinker with it and found some shaft bearings were not tight, so I got them set and it still was iffy.

Year 3 - Got some help from a guy on this site(will keep him anonymous). He suggested getting my chains tight. I guess my estimate on 1/2" play in the chains per the manual were off or reall world users found it was too much. I tightened all the chains so they were snug and imagine I had stressed the chains enough so they were done stretching. As for the top end power issues, based on my description he said it was a bad belt. The belt looked fine to me and I changed it. The old belt and new belt were totally different in width and that made all the difference.

So overall i'm pleased with the machine. This past year I seeded about 23 lawns with a total of 225-250K. No problems at all. I could run the machine almost like you would with a stander mower. It worked like a charm. The only down sided is getting it serviced. I can work on it a little, but would rather take it to a dealer. Hopefully the exmark and LS version are close enough so they will be able to work on it if there is a huge problem

I did have a guy who had the new 4 wheel lt rich model. It was huge compared to mine and was the first time I had seen one in person. I love and own one of their sprayers. It appeared that it was better suited for wide open areas. With our 10-12k lawn average I think I made the right choice.

Hope this helps anyone looking to buy something similar.

jbturf
10-02-2012, 10:08 PM
i find the biggest factor for me when running the zplug is wet or dry turf,

either ask for irrigation to be off or i plan for the afternoons on the typical terrain lawns, but the flat ones are ok wet

mike did you get 4 row tine whls or 5 row?

humble1
10-02-2012, 11:04 PM
i find the biggest factor for me when running the zplug is wet or dry turf,

either ask for irrigation to be off or i plan for the afternoons on the typical terrain lawns, but the flat ones are ok wet

mike did you get 4 row tine whls or 5 row?

Hey Josh,

I will check when i get to the warehouse Wed, its the 36" wide unit they dont make the 48 anymore, today sucked with the rain, ripped up some turf pretty bad, wish it wasnt so long feel like im turning a tractor trailer truck compared to my lt intermediate,

Efficiency
10-03-2012, 06:57 AM
anything you can do to keep the tines in the ground and going forward will help. With our tow behind unit we would work like a zamboni. Ive found the zplug needs to be ran that way too. Or if you cant find that much room, make figure 8s? Gradual turning with the head down is what works for us - not running it like a mower back and forth as you loose so much time turning the thing around. Heres to only 1.6 m sq ft left for aerations!

Efficiency
10-12-2012, 09:24 AM
I was talking with Andy the other day with an order for new sprayers and wanted to mention that the new z plug really changed personalities about 50 hours once it got broken in. I think we have about 80 hours on it now with about 2 weeks to go for aerations.

Efficiency
11-03-2012, 01:39 PM
I emailed Andy this week and thought it might help here: We will end the season on this machine with about 120 hrs. In those hours, we have more than paid for our machine, operators labor, fuel, and seed for the overseeding jobs. I dont know of many machines, even our mowers, that can produce a positive ROI/cashflow in such a short time frame. If you have the volume, you have to have this machine.