PDA

View Full Version : St Augustine Diagnosis

ArTurf
08-12-2012, 03:25 PM
What do you think is going on with this St Aug? I will be the first to admit I am not good at disease ID. Really haven't had too much of a problem in the past. I know this is not a water issue. We have been in a drought as most of the country then we had a week where it rained alot and then I noticed these spots showing up on several St Aug yard. I seems to start with the tip of the leaf yellowing and then spots seem to die out. Maybe I just happened to notice it after the rain but it seemed to be related time wise. I was thinking Brown patch but doesn't that usually show up in cooler temps? It is very warm here 90-100+. Any thoughts?

ArTurf
08-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Trying to upload pics if not on this post it will be later.
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx290/zoeygirl61209/davidiphone019.jpg
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx290/zoeygirl61209/davidiphone018.jpg

ted putnam
08-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Could be "hot spots". Have you probed for buried debris? I am starting to see grubs in some areas due to attractiveness of stressed turf. Mostly in zoysia but then again, I don't care for much St. Aug.

Patriot Services
08-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Looking on a smart phone so pic is hard to look at. Looks too short and with dull blades. With these temps SA does its best at 4~5".
Posted via Mobile Device

ArTurf
08-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Looking on a smart phone so pic is hard to look at. Looks too short and with dull blades. With these temps SA does its best at 4~5".
Posted via Mobile Device

Not that. This grass is maintained at 4". I sharpen my blades often but if they were dull at the end of the day I am very sure that is not it, very localized not everywhere.

Landscape Poet
08-12-2012, 04:34 PM
With the dry patterns you say you have experienced, as has most of the country, have you inspected for chinch bugs? I notice in picture two that both spots are not in the shade of the tree, it appears that the area has been wiped clean from what could be the pest eating inside outward.

It is very hard to diagnose of the internet but I would suggest taking a look for them. You mentioned that some slight yellowing had occurred prior..I have scene this prior to finding a infestation.

That would be my guess as if your area is in drought I doubt GLS was the issue and given that the area seems to be wiped out instead of thinned, I am betting Chinch Bug, but again this is at best a decent guess as I am trying to due so from two distant pictures from hundreds of miles away.

GreenThumb11
08-12-2012, 10:39 PM
99% sure it's chinch bugs on 2nd picture. We see alot of damage from chinch bugs in st Augustine.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArTurf
08-12-2012, 11:16 PM
I will check for chinch bugs tomorrow.

RAlmaroad
08-13-2012, 04:40 AM
Go ahead and check for clinch bugs and also while you're out there, take some very close up of the leaves and stolons. Also do the old pull on the stolon test to see if the center sections slides out or breaks off. If it slide out with a slimy feel, could be summer patch. Anyway get back with what you find. Also take some liquid sevin and spray the surrounding area. If you do find clinch bugs, the Sevin will slow them down until you can get the Imidacloprid.

Greg Amann
08-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Use your hands and rake the brown thatch off of the top. Check to see if you have young green growth coming back on the stolons in the damaged areas. If so, I would say you are seeing areas that were under drought stress prior to the rains. The rain helps perk up the grass in the surrounding areas making the stressed areas look worse.

ArTurf
08-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Use your hands and rake the brown thatch off of the top. Check to see if you have young green growth coming back on the stolons in the damaged areas. If so, I would say you are seeing areas that were under drought stress prior to the rains. The rain helps perk up the grass in the surrounding areas making the stressed areas look worse.

I am sure it is not drought stress since the lawn is well irrigated. But thanks for the suggestion.

ArTurf
08-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Checked for chinch bugs today. Sure enough that's what it was. What's your favorite cure?

Turf Dawg
08-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Checked for chinch bugs today. Sure enough that's what it was. What's your favorite cure?

Generic Tallstar, Bifin IT I think is what they had last time. Use plenty of water.

Landscape Poet
08-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Generic Tallstar, Bifin IT I think is what they had last time. Use plenty of water.

I am not sure how far the Bifen resistant chinch is but they are hit and miss here in Florida from what I have been told. Arena is the sure fire bet if it is unknown if your area has resistant chinch or not. It is expensive but stops feeding in 24 hours and is systemic.

Either way just remember the damage you are seeing now is what has already been destroyed and you will most likely continue to see some decline from where they are currently feeding.

ArTurf
08-13-2012, 11:44 PM

Do you prefer the granular or liquid? If you are putting down in liquid form how much water per K?

ted putnam
08-14-2012, 01:27 AM
As a general rule I use liquid for surface feeding insects and granular for sub-surface feeders.
If using a backpack to spot treat, use of an insecticide/fungicide is the only time I will use a cone nozzle. All herbicides are applied with a t-jet.

If you are going to cover the entire lawn I'd suggest a skid sprayer set at least at 2GPM.

Either way you want to apply enough that you are sure to cover leaf blades,stems and above ground runners. Use your best judgement on this.

I've had a handful of cases of Chinch Bugs in zoysia this year. (none as bad as the pics you showed.) I used a backpack and applied to affected areas as well as a 2-3 ft buffer around each area. Problem solved.

44DCNF
08-14-2012, 02:18 AM
Take all patch?

Turf Dawg
08-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Do you prefer the granular or liquid? If you are putting down in liquid form how much water per K?

Liquid at 3gal per k. I would like to use around 5gal per k but my sprayer I use for those wont do that much.

I have heard about the thrin resistance ones, but in my area they are not as common and dont get treated much so the Talstar still works well here on just about everything except grubs.
Posted via Mobile Device

44DCNF
08-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Take all patch?

I missed the second page where you posted your findings, sorry.

GreenThumb11
08-14-2012, 10:31 AM
5 gallons per 1k. Talstar works good. I would do atleast 2 applications for them.