PDA

View Full Version : Flat fan tips and T-Zone?

CL&T
08-12-2012, 05:29 PM
I was just reading the label for T-Zone herbicide and I saw something interesting about spot application that I never saw before.

Hand-held techniques: Wands fitted with flat fan nozzel tips may be used with the appropriate technique. Flat fan nozzels should not be waved in a back-and-forth motion, or in a side-to-side motion, or in a swinging arm motion. Instead, the nozzel should be held stationary at the proper height. Side-to-side motion results in uneven coverage.

Dunno. I have my sprayer calibrated at the rate I move it for 1 gal/1000 sq feet with a flat fan nozzel. If you are allowed to use the same nozzels on a boom sprayer what's the difference? How can you get complete coverage if you don't move it?? For spot spraying small areas you would have to be drunk not to be able to move it at the right speed and evenly.

Skipster
08-12-2012, 06:41 PM
I was just reading the label for T-Zone herbicide and I saw something interesting about spot application that I never saw before.

Hand-held techniques: Wands fitted with flat fan nozzel tips may be used with the appropriate technique. Flat fan nozzels should not be waved in a back-and-forth motion, or in a side-to-side motion, or in a swinging arm motion. Instead, the nozzel should be held stationary at the proper height. Side-to-side motion results in uneven coverage.

Dunno. I have my sprayer calibrated at the rate I move it for 1 gal/1000 sq feet with a flat fan nozzel. If you are allowed to use the same nozzels on a boom sprayer what's the difference? How can you get complete coverage if you don't move it?? For spot spraying small areas you would have to be drunk not to be able to move it at the right speed and evenly.

This label language came about because of issues surrounding the meaning of "spot" treatment. Usually, labels use "spot" treatments to mean "spray-to-wet." However, when treating a small area or a couple of weeds, flat fan nozzles would deliver too much product to adjacent, non-weedy areas.

Because T-Zone has ester formulations of both triclopyr and 2,4-D, standard spray-to-wet treatment can put too much product in non-target areas, leading potentially to turf damage and off-target plant damage from volatilization of the esters.

But, all this kind of goes without saying, because when using flat-fan nozzles, you don't wave them around anyhow, like you would with the CL gun.

I was asked by PBIGordon to give input on this label when it was first written. Knowing that is heavy on the esters and that a lot of LCOs don't use techniques safe enough for this purpose, we thought it was necessary to remind everyone how to use flat-fan nozzles to prevent off-target injury.

greendoctor
08-12-2012, 08:57 PM

Imagine painting a square over the weed or weedy areas. Incorrect usage of a flat fan tip would include waving it side to side or holding it totally stationary over a weed. If you want a true spot application, that is done with a Meter-Jet gun and a solid cone nozzle held over a weed dispensing a single shot.

CL&T
08-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Imagine painting a square over the weed or weedy areas.

If you have a small area say 2'x3' what would be wrong with a single pass with a sprayer and fan tip that produces the specified 1 gal/1000 sq ft? Any product on adjacent turf shouldn't be a problem at that rate any more than grass in with the weeds. I can see a Meter-Jet and cone tip for single weeds but that's not always going to be the case. What would be wrong with a single "swipe" over a plantain?

greendoctor
08-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Nothing wrong with that. That is a correct spot treatment application. Around every weed you see, there has got to be more that are still at the two leaf stage that would be easily killed. I do cringe at the thought of how spot applications are commonly done. With an unregulated wand and adjustable nozzle putting down what amounts to an overdose per area covered.

charmill26
08-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Q4 says the exact same thing on its label. Seems like it just means to be cautious and not apply too much/overlap when spot spraying