PDA

View Full Version : Service truck talk again

muddywater
08-12-2012, 07:24 PM
I have a tech that has been using a long bed regular cab with side mount toolboxes and regular toolbox. We need more room. Is a service body going to add alot of storage compartments compared to what I have now? What kind of percentage of more space do they have than what I have got? Or do I just try to add taller toolboxes? Here is a generic pic of what I have. I think my side mount are a little longer than the ones in the pic.

http://www.truckbox.com/images/saddleboxes-combinationmounted.jpg

mitchgo
08-12-2012, 07:57 PM
our setup

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=277014

and

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=338298

Wet_Boots
08-12-2012, 08:34 PM
an aluminum service body would hold more, at the cost of a wider vehicle

Irrigation Contractor
08-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Actually, I am picking up a new 4 door 2500HD with a service body tomorrow with a Kargo Master rack. With all the new retractable tie downs and trick ladder rack, we have been working to change the entire fleet of service trucks to this setup. We will add a hitch vise, strobe lights and power inverter at the shop.

We ran our trucks in the ground over the last few years trying to keep the overhead down and not purchase, but I am at the point it is costing more to keep them going.

The service bodies are really nice for organizing and the preferred setup of the techs. Mitchgo trucks look really good too and in the end, you will need more bins than the ones you posted. IMO

ReddensLawnCare
08-12-2012, 10:45 PM
I just picked up a new 2500 crew gasses with 8ft redding service bed on it for 29,200 otd. If you look around you can find good deals. It was a 2011 that didn't sell so they dropped the price
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare
08-12-2012, 10:48 PM
What I meant to add in there was that the service bed is great for me BC one section Is lighting, one irrigation, tool compartment, handheld compartment( oil, plugs, filters, chains, ect.) one is straps and tie downs, and one is for the chainsaw and hedge trimmers. Just make sure you have handles to help get in the back. Mine has nothing to hold on to so I N getting some put on ASAP
Posted via Mobile Device

cjohn2000
08-13-2012, 02:14 AM
Our one service vehicle that still runs is a '98 E-350 w/ 5.4 Triton. 230k. I wish I had one of those enclosed service bodies, but it gets the job done. Hopefully it doesnt throw anymore plugs:rolleyes:

muddywater
08-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Any of you have pics of your service bodies?

Do you have enough room to stock all types of valves? Where do you keep your boxes of heads? Does it have a box big enough for locators(521 and 2003 fault)?

I was thinking about doing a pull out tray for the service bed part so he wouldnt have to climb up in the back of the truck. Good idea or no?
Posted via Mobile Device

1idejim
08-13-2012, 09:02 AM
The only drawback is DOT
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
08-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Already use a 2500 so its not a negative for me, plus 90% of our.service work is not off of highways.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark B
08-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Add a bedslider to the back of the bed.. Those things are the bomb.

1idejim
08-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Laws vary from state but in Ca. a 2500 with a pick-up bed is exempt from most scales stops whereas "modified bodies" are bread and butter for commercial officers, jump scales, inspection stations etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
08-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Laws vary from state but in Ca. a 2500 with a pick-up bed is exempt from most scales stops whereas "modified bodies" are bread and butter for commercial officers, jump scales, inspection stations etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

They usually leave us alone although technically the gvrw is over 10k.

But you are right, I would love to be under dot regs, because they are a hassle but I need the diesel to pull equipment every once in a while.

However, when we hook up an equipment trailer to the truck, they are on us like flies on crap. I just pay the tickets and go on. I spend about 1500-2000 on dot tickets a year. Digustingly, it is part of doing business.

I talked to a guy that buys used skid steer attachments to sell last week and they pull him over every 3 weeks on the dot(no pun intended). He said the officer basically told him he was an easy stop bc it is much easier for the dot/lazy govt slob to pull over a pickup with trailer than it is a semi truck with multiple checklists.

muddywater
08-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Add a bedslider to the back of the bed.. Those things are the bomb.

if they aren't absurdley priced that is on my list!

Mark B
08-13-2012, 07:10 PM
I will say 800 &up. Unless you can get lucky like I did.. I got mine for $300 off of eBay, I was really lucky cause the seller was 10 miles from home. I will post a picture soon.

muddywater
08-13-2012, 07:26 PM
I will say 800 &up. Unless you can get lucky like I did.. I got mine for $300 off of eBay, I was really lucky cause the seller was 10 miles from home. I will post a picture soon.

Wow that was a no brainer. Come on with the pics

Mark B
08-13-2012, 07:29 PM
That did not work :drinkup::drinkup: shoot me a email addy then you can post it.

AI Inc
08-14-2012, 04:55 AM
They usually leave us alone although technically the gvrw is over 10k.

But you are right, I would love to be under dot regs, because they are a hassle but I need the diesel to pull equipment every once in a while.

However, when we hook up an equipment trailer to the truck, they are on us like flies on crap. I just pay the tickets and go on. I spend about 1500-2000 on dot tickets a year. Digustingly, it is part of doing business.

I talked to a guy that buys used skid steer attachments to sell last week and they pull him over every 3 weeks on the dot(no pun intended). He said the officer basically told him he was an easy stop bc it is much easier for the dot/lazy govt slob to pull over a pickup with trailer than it is a semi truck with multiple checklists.

Keep in mind over 10k employee will need a medical card.

cgaengineer
08-14-2012, 05:21 AM

I found this out a few weeks ago...
Posted via Mobile Device

greenmonster304
08-14-2012, 06:53 AM
What is a medical card?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark B
08-14-2012, 03:01 PM
I just impressed myself... I have the 155qt & 25qt yeti coolers, a rod rack for my surf rods, chairs, sand spikes, 10X10 camopy I will be making a small 2nd shelve for the chairs and stuff. I hope to adding a 45qt yeti cooler to it as well. I love this thing. It makes life sooo easy on the beach. I have a long bed truck, but this slider is for a short bed truck. It was such a great deal I can deal with it.

cgaengineer
08-14-2012, 03:53 PM
What is a medical card?
Posted via Mobile Device

Proves you have had a physical and a drug test and are safe to drive.
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
08-14-2012, 04:25 PM

All my drivers have those.... well most of them
Posted via Mobile Device

greenmonster304
08-14-2012, 05:38 PM
All my drivers have those.... well most of them
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey I tried to call you today did you get a new number?
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
08-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Proves you have had a physical and a drug test and are safe to drive.
Posted via Mobile Device

they do not drug test. that is optional.

muddywater
08-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Hey I tried to call you today did you get a new number?
Posted via Mobile Device

I think you have me mixed up with someone else?

greenmonster304
08-14-2012, 07:13 PM
I think you have me mixed up with someone else?

I did I meant to quote AI
Posted via Mobile Device