PDA

View Full Version : Can you safley extend the tongue on an enclosed trailer?

lawnpropm
08-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Found an enclosed trailer around town and I think its a pretty good deal. Its a 8.5x20 v nose enclosed trailer, asking $3k for it. Only problem is the tongue is so short I know that my dump truck will hit the front of it while turning/backing up..... My question can you safely cut and weld/fab a longer tongue? Or should I pass it up and keep shopping?.......
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
08-13-2012, 01:52 AM
It can easily be done. I'm not sure of your welding skills, but I would leave to a fab shop to be sure everything is welded perfectly straight.

lawnpropm
08-13-2012, 02:51 AM
It can easily be done. I'm not sure of your welding skills, but I would leave to a fab shop to be sure everything is welded perfectly straight.
I can weld but this is something I would take to the shop if it can be done......
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnpropm
08-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Anybody else have any input??
Posted via Mobile Device

Wayne 55
08-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Well yeah it can be extended easily. If you can weld like you say why send it out? I personaly would do it myself and save the cash for other things than sending it out to be done by someone else.

lawnpropm
08-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Well yeah it can be extended easily. If you can weld like you say why send it out? I personaly would do it myself and save the cash for other things than sending it out to be done by someone else.
well im not a welder by trade im a landscaper
Posted via Mobile Device

norsky
08-19-2012, 12:30 AM
trailers are designed by engineers to be capable of handling the rated weight and being safe. unless you have it redesigned by an engineer i would leave it alone.

slowleak1
08-19-2012, 01:13 AM
trailers are designed by engineers to be capable of handling the rated weight and being safe. unless you have it redesigned by an engineer i would leave it alone.

Engineers are tards.

I would definitely take it in to a shop. If the new tongue doesnt go on perfect, the trailer wont tow strait. Single axle, no biggie. But you will tear through tires every fast if anything is off. Also, be ready to spend some extra coin on the v nose. It will probably have to be modified some for the new tongue.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
08-19-2012, 07:27 AM
We have done three of our enclosed trailers.
We use cabovers to pullcour trailers and wanted to make sure no one could jacknife into them!
Our tongue extensions are removeable if we ever sell our trailers. We fsbricated extensions to bolt into pintle ring track.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnpropm
08-19-2012, 11:20 AM
We have done three of our enclosed trailers.
We use cabovers to pullcour trailers and wanted to make sure no one could jacknife into them!
Our tongue extensions are removeable if we ever sell our trailers. We fsbricated extensions to bolt into pintle ring track.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you have any pictures? ?
Posted via Mobile Device

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
08-19-2012, 02:16 PM
I can try pictures , i just dont know how to attach from my phone. I will try tommorow.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnpropm
08-19-2012, 02:33 PM
I can try pictures , i just dont know how to attach from my phone. I will try tommorow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sent you a pm
Posted via Mobile Device

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
08-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Hey lawn pro,
Just sent you tjree emails. Three pics of tongue ext.
Post to thread if you can.
Posted via Mobile Device

norsky
08-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Engineers are tards.

I would definitely take it in to a shop. If the new tongue doesnt go on perfect, the trailer wont tow strait. Single axle, no biggie. But you will tear through tires every fast if anything is off. Also, be ready to spend some extra coin on the v nose. It will probably have to be modified some for the new tongue.
the question was can i safely extend the hitch......call the trailer manufacturing company and ask. the engineers know alot more than slowleak.......

slowleak1
08-19-2012, 11:02 PM
the question was can i safely extend the hitch......call the trailer manufacturing company and ask. the engineers know alot more than slowleak.......

And the answer is yes, plain and simple. No need for engineers. Welding isn't rocket science.