PDA

View Full Version : Jet Agitation while spraying?

Turf Dawg
08-13-2012, 04:15 PM
I am new to the skid thing as well as the chemlawn guns. I bought a 200 gal skid with a Honda engine, Kapa pump and 300' 3/8hose on electric reel [I know 1/2 would be better but this is what it had].
I seems to spray good about 200 PSI at pump but it seems like my pressure changes while spraying with the jet agitation on. On the pump it has suction line from the very bottom of the tank, the bottom of the regulator has a hose going into the top side of tank and the outlet side of the regulator it has a line with cutoff going to the bottom side of tank for jet and a hose with cutoff going to the reel. While spraying it seems like the pressure is changing so I check and it is. This is with the agitation on, with it off it does not seem to change much.

Turf Dawg
08-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Well I figured out the pressure problem. The black handle that the guy told me was how to adjust the pressure is the dump valve. The blue knob on top of that is the pressure regulator [i thought it was for locking the lever in place and i guess he did also]

Duekster
08-13-2012, 08:03 PM
200 PSI at the pump? You do not need that much pressure at all.

If you are losing some pressure try changing out the venturi

Turf Dawg
08-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Are you using 1/2" hose? You lose alot more pressure at the gun with the 3/8" hose.
Now that I have the regulator figured out 150psi with the trigger pulled seems about right. I am going to get me some larger heads and callibrate.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Are you using 1/2" hose? You lose alot more pressure at the gun with the 3/8" hose.
Now that I have the regulator figured out 150psi with the trigger pulled seems about right. I am going to get me some larger heads and callibrate.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am dragging a 300 ft 3/8 hose and only running 80 PSI at the pump. I am applying 5 gallons a thousand. The type of gun or Wand and the Tip or spray pattern is a matter of personal preference. The nozzle not the PSI determines the spray pattern.

You want no more than 50 PSI at the Nozzle or you start to get Drift. Spraying in a wind you want even less.

Sorry, I don't know the pump you have so I can't help you.

Duekster
08-14-2012, 06:29 PM
I too am using a 3/8 hose.

What Ric said above.

RigglePLC
08-14-2012, 06:33 PM
You have a lot of friction loss in the 3/8 hose. The faster the flow goes--the greater the friction loss percent per hundred foot.

I would expect that you will have to spray at about 2 gallons per thousand sqft. This is fine.

It is normal for the pressure to drop when the gun is spraying. Spray back into the tank to test for the amount of pressure drop. If you need to cut off the agitation --do it.

In my system I had the agitation connected to the pressure regulator bypass hose (the one that goes to the top of your tank. ) You can also connect an agitator to this hose if you install a tube going to the bottom of the tank and put additional agitation nozzles there.

It is normal for the pressure to equal pressure at the pump--before you pull the trigger. Then there is a burst of pressure as you pull the trigger. After a second or two the pressure falls to your normal spraying pressure and volume. The burst is bad, as it can cause uncontrolled drift and excess rates when you first begin to spray. I caused a few bad fertilizer burns in the good old days. Do not try to increase your flow volume with excess pressure--if you still think you need more gallons per minute...get a bigger hose.

Turf Dawg
08-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Do y'all have to adjust engine speed to get the pressure that low? I can barely get it to 100psi before the knob is dang near loose. I will say down that low the pattern still looks pretty good and I do not have much initial burst. My Udor Kappa 43GR pump says it is 10.5 GPM max and 560 psi max.

Duekster
08-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Do y'all have to adjust engine speed to get the pressure that low? I can barely get it to 100psi before the knob is dang near loose. I will say down that low the pattern still looks pretty good and I do not have much initial burst. My Udor Kappa 43GR pump says it is 10.5 GPM max and 560 psi max.

I do not run my engine full speed. It is a diaphram pump and my understanding is it is not ready to take real high RPM.

Turf Dawg
08-14-2012, 08:22 PM
I think mine is a 3 piaton pump
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-14-2012, 10:50 PM

The way I adjust my Engine speed is the place the Gun or Wand so it is spraying back into the tank. Then with the gun spraying I turn down my engine speed until I have a small amount of Agitation returning to the tank, or just enough to keep the tank in suspension. I then shut off the Gun and watch for enough Agitation to mix any WP I mix in the tank.

The slower you run your engine the more life you get from the equipment. My 5.5 Honda and D 30 pump is so old it has actually just gone throught 2 hose reels. The first one Rusted away and the present one I didn't change Bearing soon enough and it is cheaper to replace than pay a machinist to repair it.