PDA

View Full Version : Why all the Nutsedge in the last few years?

lawns Etc
08-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Been applying for over 10 yrs and nutsedge wasn't an issue to really speak of until the last few yrs. Around here MSMA was the standard and used in blanket apps in June and there was very few lawns to spot spray sedge then. Now its out of control. Ive went through a dozen bottles of Pro Sedge and about 20 pounds of Solitare this season. I'm really glad that I haven't been including the control of it in my base prices. The Pro Sedge is better than Solitare and Dismiss in my opinion it does take longer to see results but no burn at all from it.

Turf Dawg
08-13-2012, 06:45 PM
I was thinking in my area it was because of the worst drought in recorded history last year. Lawns that have never had a problem with Nut Sedge have it this year. I have been using Certainty on the ones that want it sprayed because Nut Sedge and Dallisgrass are not in my normal price structure. It sucks when you have 99% clean lawns then this stuff goes crazy.

heritage
08-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Hey Lawns,

The yellow nutsedge has been really bad for me also the last 2 seasons.

It has been really wet, and thats what this weedy grass likes.

Sure beats a drought though :)

gqnine44
08-13-2012, 11:29 PM
I dont think Nutsedge was ever a problem until about 10 years ago or so. The same with Lesser Celandine and Dallisgrass. We never used to see those around here anyway.

RigglePLC
08-13-2012, 11:56 PM
Nutsedge spreads by underground rhizomes. And it sometimes arrives at a site in topsoil contaminated by the small nutlets or pieces of roots or rhizomes. Was it topdressed? did the turf come from a sod farm that had a few nutlets in sod?

kbrashears
08-14-2012, 12:04 AM
I have the same problem. Nutsedge everywhere in otherwise clean lawns. The two droughts the past two years seem to have exacberated this issue. Go figure. I guess I'm going to had to charge to treat next year. It's killing my pocket. I don't want to make anything for the labor, just recoup my chem cost.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawns Etc
08-14-2012, 12:42 AM
Im talking 75% of my properties have it now and most are older established lawns. Even my own has some but I just did a blanket with msma yesterday so itll be gone in a few days. I still have about 15 gallons of Trimec Plus but only use it on a few lawns that nothing else works on and they understand it will discolor for a week or so.

ReddensLawnCare
08-14-2012, 01:54 AM
Im talking 75% of my properties have it now and most are older established lawns. Even my own has some but I just did a blanket with msma yesterday so itll be gone in a few days. I still have about 15 gallons of Trimec Plus but only use it on a few lawns that nothing else works on and they understand it will discolor for a week or so.

You do realize MSMA is only labeled for golf and athletic fields right?
Posted via Mobile Device

lawns Etc
08-14-2012, 03:29 AM
Yes I do. That's why don't use it but few cases. Was all bought pre ban but still don't use except mostly on my own lawn which is 6 acres so takes a lot to blanket that.
Posted via Mobile Device