PDA

View Full Version : Fires out west

Mike Leary
08-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Wow! We're planning to leave in the next few weeks. Touchy which way to go east and south. :dizzy:

activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/

1idejim
08-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Wow! We're planning to leave in the next few weeks. Touchy which way to go east and south. :dizzy:

thanks boss, we drove through almanor friday to and from reno.

0800 the smoke was heavy but you could see way out onto the lake, we returned 1330 and you couldn't see the lake from the hiway.

i have a few friends that are on the fire, (private contractors doing dozer work) but haven't heard from anyone since saturday.

Mark B
08-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Come out east... All the way to the east coast.

mitchgo
08-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Mike,

I camped on the outskirts of Cle Elum Saturday night for the meteor shower show that was happening this weekened.

On our drive back through cle elum we drove through a fire on both sides of the freeway that covered Maybe 1 acre. There was 1 cop there and no fire crew ( Everything is volunteer) The fire in 1 day has now covered 2,800 acres and a few homes.... Crazy stuff!

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2012/08/cle-elum-fire-burns-one-home-threatens-others/

Mike Leary
08-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Mike,

I camped on the outskirts of Cle Elum Saturday night for the meteor shower show that was happening this weekened.

Where EXACTLY did you camp, Mitch? :rolleyes:

mitchgo
08-15-2012, 01:07 AM
:) It wasn't me! Though I believe the area I camped in is burnt to the ground now. I camped in Elk Heights

Sadly 28,000 acres have burned in the past 3 days and 60 homes

Mike Leary
08-15-2012, 11:46 AM
I've never seen a fire like that one. It refuses to quit, and, unlike "forest fires", there are a ton of homes, barns and livestock in the fires' way. :cry: There are fire crews from all over, bless them.

gusbuster
08-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Put up with the smoke in the west or the terrible thunder storms n humidity in most of the East

Not a great choice.

But I guess if you have this happen less than 300 feet from your front door, I guess you would just want to get out of town for awhile. My house is the corner house that shows up in the beginning in the background.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/08/13/roads-closed-in-manteca-as-police-investigate-suspicious-package/

John

1idejim
08-16-2012, 07:28 PM
:) It wasn't me! Though I believe the area I camped in is burnt to the ground now. I camped in Elk Heights

Sadly 28,000 acres have burned in the past 3 days and 60 homes

a house saved near Cle Elum

Mike Leary
08-16-2012, 07:33 PM
It's so freakin' hot up here on the west side, that we've got the gennie going so we can run both roof airs.

1idejim
08-16-2012, 07:41 PM
It's so freakin' hot up here on the west side, that we've got the gennie going so we can run both roof airs.

i left the mountains about 1pm and it was hot and smokey there, leaving to do a dive on a pool shortly after 5 today. 103F right now. at least it'll be cool underwater:)

irritation
08-16-2012, 07:41 PM
:) It wasn't me!

Quite a coincidence, I've heard about pyros that don't know what they're doing.:eek:

1idejim
08-16-2012, 07:44 PM
geeze, burn down one forrest and you're branded for life :rolleyes:

1idejim
08-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Bee watching an awesome lightning storm in the mountains while doing chores this morning.

my buddy doug is on the "CHIPS" fire and said that the end is not in site.

my best friend john is on the "READING" fire said it may be contained soon.

both fires are within spitting distance from where i am working and where the lightining storm is that i am watching.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
08-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Mud slides to follow. :(

1idejim
08-18-2012, 10:44 PM
The storm this morning started a bunch of little fires one which i drove by about 5ish this morning on the way up the mountain.

I was airing my dogs at the summit about 10 on my way back and spoke to a CalFire officer patrolling the mountain for sign of fire. He told me there was a 1 acre fire that was being managed as we were speaking.

Well, it managed to get away from them and has burned quite a few homes, 2000 plus acres, part of a small town and is heading toward another larger town.

We have cows 2 miles west of that town and are prepping to gather and push the cows out of the fire right now.

I posted pics earlier this year of the medow where we improved the irrigation, hope we don't have lose that beautiful site or stress the cattle but it is what it is.

I will post pics tomorrow or the next day.
Posted via Mobile Device

1idejim
08-19-2012, 01:41 PM
/Eax0Mkoi_XM
/g09c-aswfhw
/1umW69TAwKo
/7fkJ9OWen0w

my brother in law was advised to sit and wait for the time being, i guess we're on standby for now.

the guy that does the irrigation is onsite and can cut some fences to scatter the cows down the valley. there is so much confusion that the irrigator (Mike) says "the fewer the better right now".

i wish everybody luck, there are plenty of fires to go around right now

1idejim
08-19-2012, 03:28 PM
meadow from the air

DanaMac
08-20-2012, 08:25 AM
My best wishes to all of you in these areas with fires. You know I've already been through the same thing. We did 2.5 days of fire mitigation at my place just a couple weeks ago, but I'm sure it's still not enough since I live in the middle of a forest.

Be careful, be safe, we'll be thinking of you.

1idejim
08-20-2012, 08:42 AM
My best wishes to all of you in these areas with fires. You know I've already been through the same thing. We did 2.5 days of fire mitigation at my place just a couple weeks ago, but I'm sure it's still not enough since I live in the middle of a forest.

Be careful, be safe, we'll be thinking of you.

my buddy doug called last night, he and his dozer operator dick were pulled from the chips fire and assigned to the ponderosa. i asked where he was and they happened to be on the same road that my friend magnificent aaron (i gave him that nickname) evacuated his inlaws.

doug told me to pass along some great news to them, house and property was intact at that time.

i will see if i can get some decent pics on my travels today and post them.

thanks for the shot from the top yesterday dana. :)

1idejim
08-20-2012, 03:03 PM
post a pic or 2 tomorrow evening, fire knocked out all power where we were so back to the valley for the generator.

it's a mess here and will get worse.

1idejim
08-21-2012, 08:50 AM
post a pic or 2 tomorrow evening, fire knocked out all power where we were so back to the valley for the generator.

it's a mess here and will get worse.

15,000 to 50,000 acres. It's getting worse.
Posted via Mobile Device

1idejim
08-22-2012, 07:07 PM
15,000 to 50,000 acres. It's getting worse.
Posted via Mobile Device

i misunderstood the radio, fire went to 21,000 acres overnite. here are a few pics from tuesday and it is getting worse.

Mike Leary
08-22-2012, 09:27 PM
In pic 2, is that a mobile command post or a t.v. broadcast rig?

1idejim
08-22-2012, 10:07 PM
In pic 2, is that a mobile command post or a t.v. broadcast rig?

I think TV boss I was doing 55 when taking the pics.
Power outages, road closures and air you wouldn't want a piker hack to breath. Makes for a long day, no matter how short it is.
Posted via Mobile Device

BrandonV
08-23-2012, 04:04 PM
really quite scary out there isn't it

irritation
08-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Doubt it, this year is no different than most. A few have hit more populated areas, that's why you hear about it.

1idejim
08-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Doubt it, this year is no different than most. A few have hit more populated areas, that's why you hear about it.

hit the nail pert near on the :hammerhead: we have 13 major fires burning in basically the north state. from 300,000 + acres down to 2,500 + acres.

we personally lucked out, some of our friends were lucky. some weren't.

the ponderosa is still a major concern, it's hot, fast and growing into a steeper hand crew battled fire.

irritation
08-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Sure hope the Ponderosa is OK. I love that place.

http://ponderosascenery.homestead.com/files/postcard1.JPG

Mike Leary
08-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Since we're heading out soon to the SW, we bookmark this site, not pretty: