PDA

View Full Version : Tenacity trial

Brett Thomas
08-14-2012, 11:11 AM
I will be doing a test trial with tenacity in the next month with different app rates and times during seeding. Looking for suggestions far as rates, timing, seeding rates that people on here might want to see done. All of this will be posted on here as I do the trial. Side by side test plots will be done on our family sod farm and I have two lawns that will be completly burned down/ reseeded. All seed will be a TF/ KB grass mixture and all spraying will be out of a z max.

Puttinggreens
08-14-2012, 11:35 AM
I think the testing you are working on is great.

We have used Tenacity for the last two years to mainly take out bentgrass and nimblewill.

I have used it to take out some broadleaf in new seeding but not enough to really comment.

In my own TTTF lawn I have sprayed one time in each of the last two springs and have had no crabgrass, none. Now my lawn is mowed at 4" and is also very dense but I think the Tenacity is hitting a least some of the crab as it is trying to germinate in late May. Residual activity, I really don't know. The major downside is it really seems to bang the lawns up pretty good in the spring whereas the same rates in August hardly touch the desirable grasses. Other than my own lawn I don't think I will be making anymore spring applications as the set back to the lawn is unacceptable in most cases.

I would like to see rates of 5 oz/A

Brett Thomas
08-14-2012, 01:07 PM
My main objective is hopefully to be able prevent weeds when sowing fescue sod back in the fall. A large problem with weed in fescue is chickweed/henbit will push up the netting and cause the mower to cut it. No net equals sod that falls apart and therefore we cant sell it. Im going to really focus on seedling damage and the pre emergent use of this product.

the irrigator
08-14-2012, 06:04 PM
This link to a study done on Tenacity might help.
http://buckeyeturf.osu.edu/pdf/2009_Field_day_book.pdf

Brett Thomas
08-19-2012, 09:24 AM
This is the first whole yard I am doing my tenacity test on. The yard was 50% common Bermuda and 50% fescue. I applied round up 3 times waiting 3 weeks between apps to ensure all Bermuda rhizomes were dead. A soil test was performed and lime was applied at recommendations for fescue back in july/at seeding. For prep I aerated 4 times and rolled after seeding.

Seed - Winning colors 6lbs/M

Fertilizer - 17-03-17 63% SRN 5.5lbs/M

Tenacity- .14 oz / M sprayed after seeding

Seeding Date- 8/18/2012

Puttinggreens
08-20-2012, 09:37 AM
This will be our third year using Winning Colors TTTF. Just love it.

My distributor told me there may be a shortage of Winning colors this year. Have you heard the same?

DUSTYCEDAR
08-20-2012, 10:43 AM
my suplier said tttf is good to go and still a great price

thanks for the test info looking good

Brett Thomas
08-20-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm not sure about the shortage my dad books all seed in march and with half black beauty/winning colors. Fyi I've never put seed in this early but the forecast showed highs in the 80s with rain all week so it should be perfect for germination
Posted via Mobile Device

Brett Thomas
08-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Day 5 Grass started coming up

RigglePLC
08-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Way to go, Brett. I hope you can find a plan that works out. Netting being held up by henbit--not a pretty picture. I think I understand your concern.

Brett Thomas
08-27-2012, 06:59 AM
Its amazing to me how much strength plants have while growing. I will be adding more pics this afternoon or tomorrow. Grass is still coming up strong all over the yard except for the stump hole we filled in.