PDA

View Full Version : 20" wall.

Ticolawnllc
08-14-2012, 01:15 PM
20" retaining wall. But I'm below grade on each end. Where do I pitch the pipe?

zedosix
08-14-2012, 09:59 PM
To the lowest point above grade.

Ticolawnllc
08-17-2012, 06:32 AM
I'll put a pic up soon this job turned into the job from hell.

Ticolawnllc
08-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Let me fill you all in. A customer asked me for sod, so I put sod down. The pool company back filled all the soil up against the chain link fence. So I tell the guy so he has a heads up. The neighbor claims water is making it into her basement as a result of the pool work. The neighbor asks me for an estimate and I give her one. Two weeks later the sod customer call and asks me to regrade and put in a small retaining wall so the fence can go up.
This is where i made the fatal mistake of getting involved. The pool company never submitted a grading plan. Now the neighbor's basement is getting flooded and the fence can't go up without the wall. Unbeknownst to me this town requires a permits for any wall regardless of height. I was under the impression that anything less than 3 foot didn't need a permit.
So we get going and the neighbor calls the inspector in. The inspector agrees as to the work but asks me to get a permit but I can finish the wall so the neighbor’s basement is not flooded any more.
We finish the wall and the problem is solved. The neighbor comes out guns blazing raising hell once we finished. Screaming she wants an engineer to take a look at the wall.
I go in for the permit and now I can't get one till the grading plan is submitted.
What Pissed me off is now that we helped her and made it so her basement won't get hitt with all this waster. she is making my life a living hell.
Keep in mind if I had waited for the permit it I wouldn't of been able to start work for 15-20 days. We are getting lot of rain and god knows how much damage would have been done to her house. No good deed goes unpunished.
Tom Bianchi an instructor for construction project management kept telling me “Everyone Want Their Pound of Flesh” Man he was right.

The first blocks are 4" below grade and their is a paver patio on the other side of the wall. Did I F somthing up?

ramu3527
08-25-2012, 07:28 PM
How the hell did the one neighbor's yard get so much higher than the other one's yard? Is it all a change in level from the pool being put in?

Ticolawnllc
08-25-2012, 09:29 PM
You got it. They back filled on to the Vinel fence
Posted via Mobile Device

meets1
08-27-2012, 02:19 AM
If there getting that much water due to neighbors grade - I cant see how that wall is going to divert all that water??

DVS Hardscaper
08-27-2012, 05:58 AM
I'll put a pic up soon this job turned into the job from hell.

There is no such thing as a "job from hell". ever. Now, contractor from Hell and Client from Hell - yes, there is such thing.

All the variables were always there. You just didn't know what you were looking at.

DVS Hardscaper
08-27-2012, 06:03 AM
You'd be amazed how little it takes to flood a neighbor's basement.

Do an indepth searce on my user name, you'll find that over the last 10 years I repeatedly make mention of the importance of NOT "flooding the neighbor's basement".

Ticolawnllc
08-27-2012, 06:05 AM
I'll keep that in mind if I ever flood a basement.
Posted via Mobile Device