PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on my program

grassmasterswilson
08-14-2012, 06:31 PM
So I'm ever changing my program to meet what I see in lawns. In seeing what some other companies are doing I offer more. Which is good, but these other guys are older and may have more experience in our market. I'm in North Carolina and have all the turf. Our app season starts in late Feburary and ends in November.

Most fert rates are at 1 lb N except for centipede which would be .25-.5 LB N depending on the round. All post would be blanket apps or spot treatments. Insect and disease are extra and treated as an add on service.

Fescue
round 1 - pre(split app)/fert/post
round 2 - pre(split app)post
round 3 - post
round 4 - lime to maintain pH
round 5 - starter fert at seeding
round 6 - fert/post

Warm - bermuda/zoysia/centipede
round 1 - pre(split app)/post
round 2 - pre(split app)/post
round 3 - post/fert
round 4 - post/fert
round 5 - post/fert
round 6 - pre/post

How's it look? Keep it the same or drop some rounds? I look at it as 6 apps, but I guess if you broke apart the combo apps then it would be a lot.

clayslandscape
08-14-2012, 09:30 PM
So I'm ever changing my program to meet what I see in lawns. In seeing what some other companies are doing I offer more. Which is good, but these other guys are older and may have more experience in our market. I'm in North Carolina and have all the turf. Our app season starts in late Feburary and ends in November.

Most fert rates are at 1 lb N except for centipede which would be .25-.5 LB N depending on the round. All post would be blanket apps or spot treatments. Insect and disease are extra and treated as an add on service.

Fescue
round 1 - pre(split app)/fert/post
round 2 - pre(split app)post
round 3 - post
round 4 - lime to maintain pH
round 5 - starter fert at seeding
round 6 - fert/post

Warm - bermuda/zoysia/centipede
round 1 - pre(split app)/post
round 2 - pre(split app)/post
round 3 - post/fert
round 4 - post/fert
round 5 - post/fert
round 6 - pre/post

How's it look? Keep it the same or drop some rounds? I look at it as 6 apps, but I guess if you broke apart the combo apps then it would be a lot.

When do you do your different rounds roughly? If you don't mind me asking, what kind of fertilizer do you use?

Duekster
08-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Too much post.

inzane
08-14-2012, 10:06 PM
i'd be assuming he's spot treating weeds as needed here rather than blanket apps??
Too much post.

grassmasterswilson
08-14-2012, 10:20 PM
When do you do your different rounds roughly? If you don't mind me asking, what kind of fertilizer do you use?

I start in late February and end in November. I use granular fert
Posted via Mobile Device

grassmasterswilson
08-14-2012, 10:22 PM
i'd be assuming he's spot treating weeds as needed here rather than blanket apps??

Yep. Maybe 3-4 blanket apps since i spray my pre And the rest is spot treating.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
08-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Second season lawns with proper timing of Pre should be almost all spot on post

Turf Logic
08-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Warm season looks identical to mine except I do a kmag to help with winter kill. We have a problem with it because we are on the zone 7,8 line, so we get a lot of frost and a lot of warm weather in winter. This gives us 7 steps and helps with grossing more account and puts us on the grounds enough to handle customer service.

ReddensLawnCare
08-15-2012, 02:52 PM
No summer fert on the fescue
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
08-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Warm season looks identical to mine except I do a kmag to help with winter kill. We have a problem with it because we are on the zone 7,8 line, so we get a lot of frost and a lot of warm weather in winter. This gives us 7 steps and helps with grossing more account and puts us on the grounds enough to handle customer service.

When do you load up on the Kmag? as a late fall feed for winter?

cgaengineer
08-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Second season lawns with proper timing of Pre should be almost all spot on post

I agree, especially if your customers follow your instructions and irrigate correctly or you time your pre apps prior to rain.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
08-15-2012, 09:20 PM
All that spot spraying is very time-consuming. Around here we would do a overall blanket spray of post herbicide in May and October.

Duekster
08-15-2012, 09:22 PM
All that spot spraying is very time-consuming. Around here we would do a overall blanket spray of post herbicide in May and October.

Not if you have most of the weeds under control. I typically only have issues on corners around hardscape.

cgaengineer
08-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Not if you have most of the weeds under control. I typically only have issues on corners around hardscape.

Same here...edges of concrete. I've been hitting some of my problem lawns twice with pg with the trim Around the edges when using pre.
Posted via Mobile Device

gulfjoe
08-16-2012, 06:03 AM

What kind of equipment do your smaller companies use to Blanket a yard?

RigglePLC
08-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Skid sprayer with a 200 gallon tank is the most common for weed control blanket application. You can do overall applications with a backpack. It just takes longer--after refills--about two times longer. On small yards not a problem.

gulfjoe
08-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Skid sprayer with a 200 gallon tank is the most common for weed control blanket application. You can do overall applications with a backpack. It just takes longer--after refills--about two times longer. On small yards not a problem.

So for a DIY home owner a back pack is probably the best way to do a blanket application.

inzane
08-16-2012, 12:08 PM
so far this year (only have treated a few lawns so far) but, for blanket spraying i've used a backpack sprayer calibrated at .5 gallons per 1,000 sq. ft. with a constant flow valve that i got from gemplers, it wasn't so bad on my 3,000 sq. ft. front lawn, but.. wouldn't want to do that to some big yards either, mabee around 8,000 sq. ft. or less only. it seemed to work pretty good, i moved at a good pace to keep my 1,000 sq. ft. for minute, no overlapping. seemed to work! but, haven't done many this way.. i hope i don't have to do it this way for long though.