PDA

View Full Version : billy goat vacuum as leaf loader?

flyingdutch16
08-14-2012, 11:25 PM
Would a billy goat leaf vacuum work as a leaf loader? The one i saw on craigslist has a 10 hp engine would that be strong enough to suck the piles of leafs?
Or could i just use the bagging feature and use that instead? From my experience years and years ago they never really sucked up the leafs now i have to say the machine i was using was some homedepot brand and no billy goat.

Dr.NewEarth
08-15-2012, 02:13 PM
I don't think it would work. Not enough power. Mine works like crap on our wet leaves and I rarely bring it out of storage.

I get better results with a good back pack blower, a rake and a tarp.

You may be living in a deciduous hell though. Look at a truck mounted vacuum.

Kartanimal29
08-15-2012, 09:44 PM
I used a 10 hp old flat head Giant Vac for 3 years , then the motor went on it. It worked good in dry to semi dry leaves. I know have a 16 horse motor on it and it workers great. Everyone will tell you to stay away from a 10 hp. They will work good, just don't push it to hard. It's a lot better then putting them in the trailer by hand. I got a killer deal on mine when I bought it , I couldn't walk away from it. After re-powering it I'm only 700 into it and have made a ton with it.

tinkerlawn
08-15-2012, 11:08 PM
I wouldn't recommend it. Depending on the amount of leaves we either just suck them up with the mower or use a backpack blower and tarp like Dr.NewEarth suggested. I would spend the money instead on a good bagger for your mower if you don't already have one of those.

TriCountyLawn
08-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Does anyone make a push vac that converts to a leaf loader? Seems like I remember seeing a stand on type unit before.

flyingdutch16
08-16-2012, 12:04 AM
Ill probably go with a push blower instead then, and the tarp any tips with the tarp? Do you blow it on or rake it on?

lazor-cut
08-16-2012, 12:18 AM
Does anyone make a push vac that converts to a leaf loader? Seems like I remember seeing a stand on type unit before.

They used to... Hurricane Ride on blower has a kit... not too sure how it works...The blower it self is like 5k for the smallest one if i can recall..
http://alloutdoorspower.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Hurricane-Stand-On-Riding-Blo-Vac.jpg

Ill probably go with a push blower instead then, and the tarp any tips with the tarp? Do you blow it on or rake it on?

Yeah my leaf loader is like 23 or 26HP...Kinda far from 10...Sucks wet or dry :rolleyes:

A leaf loader is the BEST investment you will EVER buy for cleanups.... Once you get leaf loader you wont ever look back. I traded in a John Deere rider that was giving me the WORSE problems 7 years ago and they gave me a Billy goat leaf loader...I was skeptical at first but as of today havent looked back since!

tinkerlawn
08-16-2012, 12:30 AM
A leaf loader is the BEST investment you will EVER buy for cleanups.... Once you get leaf loader you wont ever look back. I traded in a John Deere rider that was giving me the WORSE problems 7 years ago and they gave me a Billy goat leaf loader...I was skeptical at first but as of today havent looked back since!

Amen to that! :clapping: We picked up one of those last year and man you wouldn't believe the wonders that these things work. Now if only they made them with Kaw motors...

TriCountyLawn
08-16-2012, 01:00 AM
They used to... Hurricane Ride on blower has a kit... not too sure how it works...The blower it self is like 5k for the smallest one if i can recall..
http://alloutdoorspower.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Hurricane-Stand-On-Riding-Blo-Vac.jpg

Yeah my leaf loader is like 23 or 26HP...Kinda far from 10...Sucks wet or dry :rolleyes:

Yeah thats the one, 5K Ouch, You could get a vac and push blower for that. No wonder they "used" to make em.:drinkup:

Kartanimal29
08-16-2012, 10:36 PM
If you don't have a leaf loader get one , it's a game changer. Here in CT I'm busy for 6 + weeks sucking up leafs $$$$$ I have done the whole trap and throw in the trailer thing, not worth it. There are guys up here that drive around with a ti-axel roll off trucks with vac's on the back. That pile that tales you 2 hours to move with a tarp will take 15 min to suck up. Get the 10HP and use it. If you need more power re-power it.

Dr.NewEarth
08-16-2012, 11:36 PM

Blow the leaves into a pile and then move the tarp next to the pile and lay it flat.

Once most of the leaves have been raked onto the tarp, we stand on the tarp and spread our legs..... By standing on the edge of the tarp this way, it won't move. We rake the leaves between our legs onto the tarp and tie it up.

Don't load more weight than you can handle.:blob2::blob2:

allagashpm
08-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Posted via Mobile Device