PDA

View Full Version : Need a new mower badly :)

oldcrappymower
08-15-2012, 04:09 AM
So long story short, at the beginning of last season my ex-wife (wife at the time) took my mower out to mow the lawn in April to surprise me while I was away for he weekend. One large pop and lots of black smoke later, the mower never ran again. So in a pinch a friend sold me their really old rider for $100 and I figured I could get by with it for one season. That was last season and now that I'm divorced, the mower has died and I don't have much money to buy a new mower.

I would like a zero turn because I get the impression they are faster and they look like a lot more fun than the two tractors I've had. I have two and a half acres of flat treeless lawn. I really can't spend more than $3500 on a mower.

I live in Hudson, Wisconsin and so I'm sure there are dealers here in farm country for mowers and I have gathered that's a much better way to go then getting something at home depot etc. if I can find something I can afford.

What brands do you trust and recommend? Thanks for the expertise.

Schrock Lawns
08-15-2012, 06:17 AM
your best bet is craigslist going for a used comercial mower

dgfitz
08-15-2012, 01:35 PM
I would like a zero turn because I get the impression they are faster and they look like a lot more fun than the two tractors I've had. I have two and a half acres of flat treeless lawn. I really can't spend more than $3500 on a mower.

What brands do you trust and recommend? Thanks for the expertise.

The 400 series snappper z would fill the need, or the 300 series . website
shows list price only, but most dealers will discount. Very reliable machines
and rugged. I have a Husquvarna but the snappers usually have have more
dealers availible.

oldcrappymower
08-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Although the 400 series seems to up the ante with frame construction, I think that's out of my budget. The 300 series seems like a good possibility though and there is a dealer close to my place that also appears to carry Toro, so I think I might owe them a visit.

Thanks.

oldcrappymower
08-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Looks like the same place is a Husqvarna dealer as well. Bonus.

oldcrappymower
08-15-2012, 02:22 PM
So I'm wondering what I should look for as criteria when looking for commercial mowers on Craigslist? I have been watching there and haven't seen much in my budget, but can you give me an idea of stats to use as ballpark figures?

I know some listings talk about hours run.
What about age?
Horse Power?
How do I determine if I'm getting a 'commercial' mower when I'm looking on Craigslist?

Thanks!

Capemay Eagle
08-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Looks like the same place is a Husqvarna dealer as well. Bonus.
Husqvarna is probably the best bang for the buck right now. However to me it seems that you may get a better deal going with a lawn tractor vs the ZTR. On the Husq website the top of the line LS series tractor has a MSRP of $3199.

oldcrappymower
08-15-2012, 06:48 PM
I feel like with a flat yard with no trees, the tractor is probably more sensible, but so is buying a minivan...

Persuade me a little on your thinking. The tractor doesn't sound as fun to drive, it sounds slower and I really don't want to spend the next ten years wishing I'd bought a ztm.

Thanks.

jrs.landscaping
08-15-2012, 06:51 PM
So I'm wondering what I should look for as criteria when looking for commercial mowers on Craigslist? I have been watching there and haven't seen much in my budget, but can you give me an idea of stats to use as ballpark figures?

I know some listings talk about hours run.
What about age?
Horse Power?
How do I determine if I'm getting a 'commercial' mower when I'm looking on Craigslist?

Thanks!

Craigslist is great if you know what to llok for in a used mower, we have had good luck but we only purchase mowers we currently run and have experience with. My advice is go to a dealer and look at their trade ins, yes there are salesmen who will try to sell you anything, but they still have a reputation to worry about if you are unsatisfied with your purchase.