PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer head that cuts grass vs. tearing it?

NEwhere1
08-15-2012, 09:58 AM
I got a Stihl Kombisystem this spring. I don't like the string trimmer because I trim up against a border of rocks and the string constantly wears down. Also when i trim near a large long (100') overgrown shrub the string is getting broken off from hitting thick shrubbery. I bought a polycut head and it works okay, it's easy to see the cutting zone, so i don't hit the rocks very often. It handles running into the large shrubbery, and the blades are easy to replace.

My problem is either of these two heads is tearing the grass vs. cutting it, the poly head is worse than the string head i think (blades thicker than the string), but would need to do a side by side comparison.

Does anyone know of another option that either tears cleaner or cuts? Am i doing something wrong?

Do Maruyama attachments fit on a Stihl Kombisystem cause this head looks sweet http://maruyama-us.com/products/multicutter-systems/mc2321-sb/ then look at the Landscape blade in the attachments bottom of page.

KrayzKajun
08-15-2012, 10:01 AM
The trimmer head has nothing to do with cutting. It is just the carrier for the string/blade. Try a smaller diameter string. Make sure you are not using string too large for the head and power of the trimmmer.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
08-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Agreed. It's all about the trimmer line, not the head.

I use ugly line by Shakespeare. You can find it at Lowes. Seems to be the best trimmer line I've found for the commercial work we do.

The Stihl line that comes with the trimmer isn't very good in my eyes. Even if people say they like it, I haven't had any good luck with it.

NEwhere1
08-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Agreed. It's all about the trimmer line, not the head.

I use ugly line by Shakespeare. You can find it at Lowes. Seems to be the best trimmer line I've found for the commercial work we do.

The Stihl line that comes with the trimmer isn't very good in my eyes. Even if people say they like it, I haven't had any good luck with it.

Thanks! I've been using the line that came on the straight shaft trimmer head. The stihl website does not provide specifications for my trimmer head. How will i know how small a diameter i can go? I guess i'm asking does the diameter of the hole the string passes through matter?

Looking at the line stihl makes i've now discovered that the line come in different styles, round, x shaped, multi faceted (4 sides, 5 sides etc.).

I want this to do the best it can for trimming Bermuda lawn where i can get to it with the mower. I can use the Poly cut for the front yard where i don't care about the quality of the cut/tear.

Florida Gardener
08-15-2012, 10:40 AM
No, no, no! String trimmers on sports turf is a big no-no. You need a landscape blade. If you are going through the efforts of cutting with a reel, why would you use a string trimmer?
Posted via Mobile Device

NEwhere1
08-15-2012, 10:47 AM
No, no, no! String trimmers on sports turf is a big no-no. You need a landscape blade. If you are going through the efforts of cutting with a reel, why would you use a string trimmer?
Posted via Mobile Device

I was unaware of such a device prior to a few days ago. I just noticed how bad my trimming was starting to look due to the torn grass. Is there a proper term i should be searching for? "landscape blade" is what Maruyama calls their attachment but i'm not finding any other manufactures.

Florida Gardener
08-15-2012, 11:42 AM
I was unaware of such a device prior to a few days ago. I just noticed how bad my trimming was starting to look due to the torn grass. Is there a proper term i should be searching for? "landscape blade" is what Maruyama calls their attachment but i'm not finding any other manufactures.
Yup, that's the one. I have it and it's the best.
Posted via Mobile Device

NEwhere1
08-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Well looks like i'm SOL, unless I can find a place to buy this http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/KombiSystem/KombiTools/21172-1482/KM-FH-135.aspx not as neat as the Maruyama but seems like it would do what i need. Contacted Stihl and they said no product like the Maruyama is in the works, waiting to hear back about this UK trimmer.

Wonder if any of these (Landscape blade by Maruyama or the Kawasaki Twin Turbo blade or the RedMax reciprocator) would actually fit on a Stihl?

Florida Gardener
08-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Well looks like i'm SOL, unless I can find a place to buy this http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/KombiSystem/KombiTools/21172-1482/KM-FH-135.aspx not as neat as the Maruyama but seems like it would do what i need. Contacted Stihl and they said no product like the Maruyama is in the works, waiting to hear back about this UK trimmer.

Wonder if any of these (Landscape blade by Maruyama or the Kawasaki Twin Turbo blade or the RedMax reciprocator) would actually fit on a Stihl?
Forget the Stihl and buy the yama
Posted via Mobile Device

NEwhere1
08-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Forget the Stihl and buy the yama
Posted via Mobile Device

Would have to sell the Stihl (130 motor, edger with curved pole, straight non adjustable shrub trimmer, straight shaft weed eater, blower) before i could even think of getting the yama....i wish i could find a thread or video of the Scrub cutter adjustable scythe cutting nice grass, seems like it should work just fine.

Ira
08-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Today, I bought the Kawasaki multi-task tool (KMS27A) and Twin TurboBlade attachment (KMT01A). Bought them locally so had to pay full price plus tax ($300 for each piece, plus tax). I bought it because I need something to complement the reel mower I use on my zoysia.

I hate everything about string trimmers. I have an older Stihl straight shaft trimmer and an newer Echo straight shaft trimmer. Since I hate using them, I've never gotten very good with them, and even when I did what I thought was a good job, I didn't like the results. I'm a homeowner, not an LCO.

I've used my new toy for about five minutes. It's too hot right now to do any more.

My initial impressions (after five minutes)...wow!!! :clapping: :clapping: :dancing: This might be just what I was looking for. As previously mentioned, it cuts the grass instead of wacking it. It will cut right up to the house, tree, etc. It doesn't seem to damage a tree if you accidentally touch it. It wil take a little getting used to, but I think it will ultimately be much easier to use than a string trimmer. You can actually see the "cutting surfaces" while using it so it makes it much easier to control and make precise movements/cuts. When edging against a vertical surface (e.g., against the house) after mowing, you can let the trimmer "ride flat" on the mowed grass and it cuts the uncut grass against the house at the right height.

Because the blades rotate in opposite directions, it doesn't try to grab and run away like a string trimmer will sometimes do. Maybe that's just me.

As an added bonus...my sidewalk is flagstone with grass in the "joints". That grass needs to be trimmed every couple of weeks, and it looks like this thing will be perfect for doing that.

Negatives...only two so far, but I've only used it for five minutes. First, it might be harder to get into tight spots, inside corners, etc. since you have a "fixed" diameter blade. That's just an observation because I haven't tried it yet. You may be able to tilt it and get into tight spots. Second, this thing looks like it could really hurt someone if they are careless. There isn't any blade guard. The blades rotate really fast...fast enough to be pretty much a blur at full throttle.

So far, it's a keeper.

NEwhere1
08-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Today, I bought the Kawasaki multi-task tool (KMS27A) and Twin TurboBlade attachment (KMT01A). Bought them locally so had to pay full price plus tax ($300 for each piece, plus tax). I bought it because I need something to complement the reel mower I use on my zoysia.

I hate everything about string trimmers. I have an older Stihl straight shaft trimmer and an newer Echo straight shaft trimmer. Since I hate using them, I've never gotten very good with them, and even when I did what I thought was a good job, I didn't like the results. I'm a homeowner, not an LCO.

I've used my new toy for about five minutes. It's too hot right now to do any more.

My initial impressions (after five minutes)...wow!!! :clapping: :clapping: :dancing: This might be just what I was looking for. As previously mentioned, it cuts the grass instead of wacking it. It will cut right up to the house, tree, etc. It doesn't seem to damage a tree if you accidentally touch it. It wil take a little getting used to, but I think it will ultimately be much easier to use than a string trimmer. You can actually see the "cutting surfaces" while using it so it makes it much easier to control and make precise movements/cuts. When edging against a vertical surface (e.g., against the house) after mowing, you can let the trimmer "ride flat" on the mowed grass and it cuts the uncut grass against the house at the right height.

Because the blades rotate in opposite directions, it doesn't try to grab and run away like a string trimmer will sometimes do. Maybe that's just me.

As an added bonus...my sidewalk is flagstone with grass in the "joints". That grass needs to be trimmed every couple of weeks, and it looks like this thing will be perfect for doing that.

Negatives...only two so far, but I've only used it for five minutes. First, it might be harder to get into tight spots, inside corners, etc. since you have a "fixed" diameter blade. That's just an observation because I haven't tried it yet. You may be able to tilt it and get into tight spots. Second, this thing looks like it could really hurt someone if they are careless. There isn't any blade guard. The blades rotate really fast...fast enough to be pretty much a blur at full throttle.

So far, it's a keeper.

Love to see a video when you feel like it.

knox gsl
08-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Would have to sell the Stihl (130 motor, edger with curved pole, straight non adjustable shrub trimmer, straight shaft weed eater, blower) before i could even think of getting the yama....i wish i could find a thread or video of the Scrub cutter adjustable scythe cutting nice grass, seems like it should work just fine.

I have used it to cut some grass, but cannot tell you how well it would do on low cut fine turf. I can tell you I've used it to trimm around cars on fescue and it worked great. I was using this but is an option for your Kombi setup.http://www.stihlusa.com/products/hedge-trimmers/professional-hedge-trimmers/hl100135/