PDA

View Full Version : replacing eng on skid with HF eng.

vaacutabove
08-15-2012, 02:17 PM
I will be buying a new skid and skid next year or a ride on. But I need mine to get me through this year most of all Friday spraying. Harbor freight has one its like 100$. any thoughts on this. I know it won't last long term But I need about 100 hrs out of it this year and would be nice if it made it as a back up next year. So I'm not in the same situation with no back up yard needing to be sprayed with seeding coming up next few weeks.

agrostis
08-15-2012, 04:59 PM
I think you asking for a lot more dependability out of a hf engine than you are going to get.

vaacutabove
08-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Probably but season is almost over. I only spray 40. Per round and my last round is granular.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
08-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Is it a Honda clone? They are pretty decent and should last a few years. Are they better than a Honda, No, will it work and get the job done...yes.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
08-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Not familiar with HF. However...most engines used for powering a spray pump need a 6 to 1 speed reducer--it is usually built-in on the proper version of the engine for that use. Those engines cost a bit more. Typical speed is 3600 rpm--you need about 600 rpm to drive your pump. The Hypro diapragm pump has an additional speed reducer built into the pump.

The Briggs Stratton 6 horse engine is only about 208 dollars. With a little luck you should be able to get about a thousand hours out of it.

vaacutabove
08-15-2012, 09:52 PM
It looks exactly like the honda im pulling off. But we will see i got everything off tonight but cant find my snap ring pliers. So will have to work on it tomorrow night.
Posted via Mobile Device

robert@rittenhouse
08-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Riggle, you are correct about getting the speed down for Hypro diaphragm pumps. However, if you are using a D30 or D403 you do not need an "additional" gearbox. If you have the GRGI version of those pumps, you attach that directly to a full speed engine because they come equipped with gear reduction. Hence the "GR" in the name.

I think you know that, it is just that your post was slightly misleading. I don't want the other poster to get the wrong engine based on your post.

Regards,

Robert

Ric
08-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Riggle, you are correct about getting the speed down for Hypro diaphragm pumps. However, if you are using a D30 or D403 you do not need an "additional" gearbox. If you have the GRGI version of those pumps, you attach that directly to a full speed engine because they come equipped with gear reduction. Hence the "GR" in the name.

I think you know that, it is just that your post was slightly misleading. I don't want the other poster to get the wrong engine based on your post.

Regards,

Robert

Robert

My buddy recently replaced his D 30 pump but not the Gear reduction. it just bolted right up.

My D 30 is close to 15 years old and has been rebuild many times. But my guess is I have older model because of the common drive shaft to both the gear reduction and pump.

So the my question is, Can I just replace a pump with out the gear reduction???

BTW last time I did a total rebuild on that pump, parts ended up costing more than a new pump. But once I got so far into it, I was hooked and couldn't stop.

robert@rittenhouse
08-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Yes, you can reuse the gearbox on a D30 and a D403 as well. In most cases the gearbox is fine and you only need to buy the plain D30 pump. The part number would be 9910-D30.

You split the gearbox and remove the big gear that is bolted to the flange on the pump. If you are handy with a wrench it is not a hard job at all.

There are a couple of Hypro pumps where that is not the case. Specifically the D252GRGI and the D70GR.

Ric
08-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Yes, you can reuse the gearbox on a D30 and a D403 as well. In most cases the gearbox is fine and you only need to buy the plain D30 pump. The part number would be 9910-D30.

You split the gearbox and remove the big gear that is bolted to the flange on the pump. If you are handy with a wrench it is not a hard job at all.

There are a couple of Hypro pumps where that is not the case. Specifically the D252GRGI and the D70GR.

Thank You,

That is good to know. My D 30 sat in the barn for several years. When I put it back in service as stated above the parts ended up costing more than a new pump. I have been running that pump for a couple years now and all is good. With a 5 GPM tip I run the engine just slightly above an Idle and it keeps up with me.

robert@rittenhouse
08-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Yes, it is true. Very often the parts cost more than buying a whole new pump. It is the same situation with car parts as well.

We use a 50% rule here. If the parts cost more than 50% of a new pump ... buy the new pump.

A D30 can last a very long time. I have seen some in service for 25 years. The most common reason for the death of a D30 is either freezing with water inside or running it too long with mixed water/oil in the crank case and the crankshaft gets damaged and/or it seizes up.

So keep a close eye on the oil sight glass, if the oil is milky gray stopping pumping immediately and change the diapragms.