PDA

View Full Version : Vacation

ron mexico75
08-16-2012, 08:23 AM
So Im getting ready to go away for a week. I don't have a crew and do all the work myself. My question is; what do you guys do or what would you recommend I do?

Should I cut it a little shorter then normal on the visit before I leave? Do you just cut it regular and then deal with the extra height 2 weeks later?

What about payment? Since I will be "skipping" a visit would the follow up be considered a double cut? Or, do you just suck it up as a missed week and deal with the extra growth?

JB1
08-16-2012, 08:31 AM
back in them days, i either waited till the gass wasn't hardly growing and went then, or i didn't take a vacation.

Dave does lawns
08-16-2012, 09:47 AM
So Im getting ready to go away for a week. I don't have a crew and do all the work myself. My question is; what do you guys do or what would you recommend I do?

Should I cut it a little shorter then normal on the visit before I leave? Do you just cut it regular and then deal with the extra height 2 weeks later?

What about payment? Since I will be "skipping" a visit would the follow up be considered a double cut? Or, do you just suck it up as a missed week and deal with the extra growth?

I just went away last week myself.

What I did was I worked two days ahead of schedule before I left, then came back 4 days later, and spent 2 days working with 3 other guys, (friends) to finish up and then went back to join the family camping.

Yes, sadly it took 4 of us to do 3 days work in 2 days :dizzy:
Yes it sucked to have to come back, but thankfully we were only camping 2 hours away.

I also am able to pull this stuff off because my customers are given a day to be mowed, however they all understand that sometimes I may be a day or two early or late due to weather, breakdowns or vacation, lol. I am sure if I abused this then many would have issues with it, however so far I have never had issues.

Hope this helps you brainstorm a solution for yourself.

BTW if i was your customer and you skipped me, or missed me one week for any reason and tried charging me more for a double cut I would find someone else. I think that double cut prices are a way of dealing with problem customers only. You know the ones who say don't come this week, or don't come till I call you, etc...

ron mexico75
08-16-2012, 10:34 AM
I just went away last week myself.

What I did was I worked two days ahead of schedule before I left, then came back 4 days later, and spent 2 days working with 3 other guys, (friends) to finish up and then went back to join the family camping.

Yes, sadly it took 4 of us to do 3 days work in 2 days :dizzy:
Yes it sucked to have to come back, but thankfully we were only camping 2 hours away.

I also am able to pull this stuff off because my customers are given a day to be mowed, however they all understand that sometimes I may be a day or two early or late due to weather, breakdowns or vacation, lol. I am sure if I abused this then many would have issues with it, however so far I have never had issues.

Hope this helps you brainstorm a solution for yourself.

BTW if i was your customer and you skipped me, or missed me one week for any reason and tried charging me more for a double cut I would find someone else. I think that double cut prices are a way of dealing with problem customers only. You know the ones who say don't come this week, or don't come till I call you, etc...

Yeah makes sense I guess. I will be 350 miles away so no coming back until vacation is over. I guess I'll just deal with it taking longer the following week. Its the last week in August so the grass is growing as slow as its going to be growing around here. Really no other options.

I plan on telling everyone though that I will be out of town. I don't want them thinking I just forgot or skipped them.

fireman gus
08-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Have been in is business for 30+ years. I have never taken a vacation during the mowing season. All my trips have been in late November, after last yard has had the final application of weed control.

knox gsl
08-18-2012, 04:18 PM
I will do a long weekend as my mowing in Tues Wed an Thur for a reason. There is no skipping to go have fun, that's after the leaves are cleaned up.

ron mexico75
08-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Yeah I hear you all about waiting for vacations. This is a family beach vacation so can't really put it off. I'll just have to suck it up and probably double cut or bag the extra growth. Not too big a deal but was just wondering what others did.

charmill26
08-20-2012, 01:05 AM
Let the clients know that you know will call you with a heart attack when they didn't get their lawn mowed that week that you will be gone for a week and will be back on schedule the week after. Why would you charge extra because you're away for a week? Double cut, bag or not I don't see why that would reflect a price change for them or not. You took the vacation not them so I feel like thats all on you

ron mexico75
08-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Let the clients know that you know will call you with a heart attack when they didn't get their lawn mowed that week that you will be gone for a week and will be back on schedule the week after. Why would you charge extra because you're away for a week? Double cut, bag or not I don't see why that would reflect a price change for them or not. You took the vacation not them so I feel like thats all on you

Yeah I am going to let everyne know.

I was just asking if anyone would charge. Its a week Im not going to be there but I am doing the work of 2 weeks when I get back for a day I would have shown up regularly.

I don't have an issue, I was just wondering what others did.

I am letting everyone know of my absense and let it go at that.

kawasaki guy
08-21-2012, 08:04 AM
i just cut the grass to the normal height and just take the extra time the next week to cut the higher stuff and only charge for one cutting. i don't charge for the vaca week.

Duekster
08-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Go to Vegas for a long weekend. Just as good as a week any where else.

Florida Gardener
08-21-2012, 08:26 AM
IMO, I don't think it's professional fl take a vacation when you don't have guys doing the work while your gone. I take vacations in the winter when I'm able to. I'd be annoyed if I was your customer. Just my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
08-21-2012, 08:28 AM
IMO, I don't think it's professional fl take a vacation when you don't have guys doing the work while your gone. I take vacations in the winter when I'm able to. I'd be annoyed if I was your customer. Just my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree, hence the long weekend plan I mention. Trust me, two days in Vegas is plenty of relaxation. Mental down time anyway. You may come back wore out. :cool2:

Florida Gardener
08-21-2012, 08:37 AM
I agree, hence the long weekend plan I mention. Trust me, two days in Vegas is plenty of relaxation. Mental down time anyway. You may come back wore out. :cool2:
Or with a tiger and a baby
Posted via Mobile Device

jsslawncare
08-21-2012, 09:06 AM
VACATION IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GROWING SEASON! What? I would love to go to the beach in the summer. I always go when its cold.

I don't think you should charge anymore then normal.

Duekster
08-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Or with a tiger and a baby
Posted via Mobile Device

:laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, the whole world disappears when you get to Vegas.

I can go to the beach or something and I spend 2 or 3 days before I can unwind, then I start worring about what I have to do when I get back.

On a short Vegas trip the whole world can wait and after 3 nights and 2 days you are ready to leave. I need the mental down time as much as anything.

I have only been once this year. Went 8 times last year ( work related) so I did actually earn some money.

I am now thinking, what conferance or show can I go to out there.

I just got an offer for tickets to the Canelo Lopez fight, free room and some other concert that weekend. Never been to a prize fight would be fun to see. Lot of other shows to see as well.

You want to see some water features :cool2:

bolc5150
09-18-2012, 04:56 PM
You know, every business's situation is defferent. Whether it be a co. in bus. for 20yrs and 5 crews or dba. I know some guys who are dba's and go in the summer and some in the winter.
I've been in bus. for 17+ yrs now and I used to take the wife and kids in the summer because of school breaks, but now, kids are gone and the wife and I can wait till late fall or winter. We used to take weekends and camp but im selling it now to be able to afford a better trip with the wife with only a few small things left to do before turkey day..

Remember this, have fun, relax, and most of all try not to feel guilty for being gone.

My .02

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
09-18-2012, 05:48 PM
You know, every business's situation is defferent. Whether it be a co. in bus. for 20yrs and 5 crews or dba. I know some guys who are dba's and go in the summer and some in the winter.
I've been in bus. for 17+ yrs now and I used to take the wife and kids in the summer because of school breaks, but now, kids are gone and the wife and I can wait till late fall or winter. We used to take weekends and camp but im selling it now to be able to afford a better trip with the wife with only a few small things left to do before turkey day..

Remember this, have fun, relax, and most of all try not to feel guilty for being gone.

My .02

I sorta do the same. A family vacation at the end of July and one for my wife and I the second week of Oct. Work more before and after and all works out. The only comments I get from customers are enjoy yourself and relax! Life is too short not to enjoy your family.

larryinalabama
09-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Id wait till Janurary to go on vacation

Turf Dawg
09-20-2012, 08:22 AM
What is this "vacation" y'all speak of.
Posted via Mobile Device

ron mexico75
09-20-2012, 10:18 AM

My .02

Exactly man, wife and kids is why Im taking it in the summer. You know what, no guilt here! I work damn hard, essentially 2 jobs and this vacation was much deserved. Loved every minute of it and made some memories too.

I sorta do the same. A family vacation at the end of July and one for my wife and I the second week of Oct. Work more before and after and all works out. The only comments I get from customers are enjoy yourself and relax! Life is too short not to enjoy your family.

Truer words couln't have been spoken (about life being too short and enjoying family)

All my customers said have a great time and when I got back I was asked about the vacation. No complaints at all. Im not a huge operation either so maybe its different for me versus others who said don't do it or who don't leave in the summer.