PDA

View Full Version : Is the scotts tech full of....

greenstar lawn
08-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Customer called and said the Scott's tech said the reason for nutsedge in the lawn is bc I am cutting too high. I am in Michigan and it's mainly kbg. I cut the lawn st 3.5". I cut all my lawns at 3.5-4". Is this tech full of $hit? Why blame me?

He also says that I need to bag the lawn(which I do) to limit the dollar spots.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
08-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Total BS.

Nutsedge is Nutsedge. It grows just about anywhere anymore.

Also, bagging is one of the worst things you can do for turf management.

I'm surprised a highly qualified, well paid turf tech from Scott's didn't have the right answers. :rolleyes: :hammerhead:

Dave Stuart
08-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Nutsedge gravitates & colonizes areas in turf that hold water are boggy or are slow to dry out, these plants are perennial & their tubers thrive better in moist areas.
Although this weed infests or can infest all areas of a turf stand these moist, wet places in a yard seem to be pronounced.
Keep mowing high this extends root system of cool season turf and helps enhance photosynthesis as well as evapotranspiration of water.

Mow 1/3 of the blade off at mowing intervals and do not bag the clippings, recycling of leaf tissue is important.
Only bag if you miss a mow or have been inconsistent with intervals/ removed more than 1/3 the blade.

Sulfentrazone and halasulfuron applications have shown reductions in the populations of sedge on turf stands over time.

Dave.

Duekster
08-16-2012, 05:44 PM
I bet scotts guaranteed their lawn but they do not want to spray.

turf hokie
08-16-2012, 07:09 PM
All the big companies around here put the blame on mowing...too high, too short, too often, not often enough. Whatever fits the situation so as to push blame on somebody else and not have to actually come up with an educated answer.
Posted via Mobile Device

greenstar lawn
08-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys.
It is between two yards but on his side. Its low area and gets doubled from him and neighbors. I tried to ex plain to him but he is taking the tech's side. Oh well he won't even notice that I am not dropping the height.
Posted via Mobile Device

ProStreetCamaro
08-16-2012, 07:48 PM
All the big companies around here put the blame on mowing...too high, too short, too often, not often enough. Whatever fits the situation so as to push blame on somebody else and not have to actually come up with an educated answer.
Posted via Mobile Device

They do the exact same thing here. It is NEVER the squirt guys fault.

Burnie
08-16-2012, 08:05 PM
They do the exact same thing here. It is NEVER the squirt guys fault.

Well around here it is NEVER the Mowing Guys Fault. Cutting too short, tapering the edges, scalping around mailboxes, light poles, along edge of home, but the grass is dying and it is MY fault, NOT the mowing guy. Goes BOTH ways guys. :hammerhead:

greenstar lawn
08-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep that is why I started to work with a local guy that is certified and licensed and has a great program with great results. Slowly getting him more and more of my customers
Posted via Mobile Device

phasthound
08-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Nutsedge gravitates & colonizes areas in turf that hold water are boggy or are slow to dry out, these plants are perennial & their tubers thrive better in moist areas.
Although this weed infests or can infest all areas of a turf stand these moist, wet places in a yard seem to be pronounced.

Dave,
Every year we see more and more of it in sandy well drained soils.

Dave Stuart
08-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Dave,

Hey Barry,

True more and more infestations are colonizing areas that normally in years past would have been less affected.
Almost an evolution in habit for this plant, during extreme abiotic pressure - temperature and light intensity along with excessive rainfall which we have had in Jersey / Delaware / Pennsylvania it can propagate more rapidly.

We have seen this with crabgrass, paspalum, and certain broadleaf varieties as well.

Ric
08-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Customer called and said the Scott's tech said the reason for nutsedge in the lawn is bc I am cutting too high. I am in Michigan and it's mainly kbg. I cut the lawn st 3.5". I cut all my lawns at 3.5-4". Is this tech full of $hit? Why blame me?

He also says that I need to bag the lawn(which I do) to limit the dollar spots.
Posted via Mobile Device

HELLO!!!! It is a Scott's hose jockey not a PhD in turf grass science from your local Land grant university

Dave,

While Sedge is classified as a water weed it does quite nicely in dry soil also. At one time I had a customer with a all sedge yard. I am not sure how it got started but it wasn't a wet area from what I saw. I will say it was a very easy yard to keep green and weed free.

RigglePLC
08-16-2012, 09:39 PM
I agree with Barry. Nutsedge occurs in droughty sandy soils, too. It appears the Scotts lawn squirter guy does not know how to kill it. Nor what to do about dollarspot.

Its possible that Scotts does not want to get into special treatments and carrying special chemicals in the garage. Not likely he has the proper product on his truck.

inzane
08-16-2012, 09:54 PM
i remember back when i was a young man of 21. i applied to a job at orkin lawn care, it was 1300 a month plus commision. i was trained for 2 weeks by a guy who used to sell furniture, and had been a lawn tech for 2 months. i interviewd with scotts 7 years ago, and i got the impression they were the same way at scotts, it had the same feel. lol. they pay like 9 bucks an hour, and you don't need to get an applicators license. the scotts guy is just trying to reach his goal and go home for the day, probally doesn't really give a crap.

Turf Dawg
08-16-2012, 10:04 PM
When he gets it in his shrub bed ask him how short should they be mowed :laugh::laugh::laugh::hammerhead:

Turf Dawg
08-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Dave,

You know it is funny you mentioned that. I have read a couple of threads on here complaining about it this year. Last year we had the worse drought in Texas since they started keeping records and this year I am treating lawns that have not had it in 15 years [well maybe a tad here and there]. There is Nut Sedge in patches of brown Bermuda.

White Gardens
08-16-2012, 11:17 PM
With our drought this year, I did notice a reduction in Nut-Sedge in our area. Few spots here and there, but the biggest spot I noticed was the road-sides on the rural roads outside of town.

Basically with the previous seasons and ample moisture, you would see it in the first 12" or so of the edge of the road before you got into the tall naturalized grass. This year it was non-existent.

As for lawns, any established patches from the previous years, it was still there, but didn't notice any spreading or reproduction.

Think Green
08-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Nutsedge tubers are in the soils.......laying dormant until the right conditions to sprout. Some is deeper than others. As we have droughts.......the soil cracks exposing new tubers. As we have deluges from torrent rains........sediment movement.......we expose the tuber.
I am a huge believer in tainted potting soils, peat mosses.
It is job security.......in the highest demand!! Or it is misuse of products from consumers that is developing resistant species.

humble1
08-21-2012, 06:36 AM
Well around here it is NEVER the Mowing Guys Fault. Cutting too short, tapering the edges, scalping around mailboxes, light poles, along edge of home, but the grass is dying and it is MY fault, NOT the mowing guy. Goes BOTH ways guys. :hammerhead:

I love when they mow at 2.5 inch when its hot and dry out, the lawns burns and it must of been something I sprayed 4 weeks ago!
Posted via Mobile Device

ProStreetCamaro
08-21-2012, 02:39 PM
I love when they mow at 2.5 inch when its hot and dry out, the lawns burns and it must of been something I sprayed 4 weeks ago!
Posted via Mobile Device

I love when a fert guy spills something and burns a spot but they tell the customer the cutting guys must have spilled gas. This can go back and forth all day long. :hammerhead:

Duekster
08-21-2012, 04:07 PM
This is why I do both...:D

RigglePLC
08-23-2012, 08:20 PM
I did a nutsedge test recently. Nutsedge had been allowed to get about 10 inches tall. I treated with Quicksilver. It was browning out after about 3 days.
Quicksilver seemed to be effective at killing nutsedge, (yellow nutsedge).

Area is sandy--not poorly drained.