PDA

View Full Version : Yellow or Purple?

ron mexico75
08-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Im sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask. I figured it would be a good place since people spraying would be able to tell.

By looking at the pics I took, are you able to tell if this is yellow or purple nutsedge? It obviously doesn't have flowers. I know that purple has rhizomes connected in chains and yellow does not. I'll admit, I am not confident in saying I know exactly what that difference would look like.

Can someone help me out?

WestGaPineStraw
08-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Dismiss by FMC will kill it regardless if it is purple or yellow.

ron mexico75
08-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Dismiss by FMC will kill it regardless if it is purple or yellow.

Ok thanks.

I already sprayed Q4 and I know that only treats yellow. I thought I knew thats what it was. I admit I made a mistake and should have known 100% before hand.

That's why I am asking if its yellow or purple.

ron mexico75
08-17-2012, 11:33 AM
anybody know or are these not good pics?

cgaengineer
08-17-2012, 12:34 PM
anybody know or are these not good pics?

Looks green to me but will turn yellow if you spray it! ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

ron mexico75
08-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Looks green to me but will turn yellow if you spray it! ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

come on man. I sprayed it with Q4 and am curious since Q4 only treats yellow nutsedge and not purple.

cwc257
08-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Doesn't Q4 have sulfentrazone in it? The same ingredient that is Dismiss? And also, I though Q4 only supressed nutsedge, not killed it. I didn't think it had enough Sulfentrazone in it. I may be wrong though, I dont use Q4.
Posted via Mobile Device

ron mexico75
08-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Doesn't Q4 have sulfentrazone in it? The same ingredient that is Dismiss? And also, I though Q4 only supressed nutsedge, not killed it. I didn't think it had enough Sulfentrazone in it. I may be wrong though, I dont use Q4.
Posted via Mobile Device

I used Q4PLUS. The label says it controls yellow nutsedge.

http://www.pbigordon.com/pdfs/Q4Plus-PIS.pdf

ron mexico75
08-17-2012, 01:57 PM
I posted this 3.5 hours ago and nobody can say definitively if this is purple or yellow?

cgaengineer
08-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Image, dismiss, msma, sedgehammer...not sure of which you have, purple or yellow.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArTurf
08-17-2012, 05:57 PM
What type of grass are you treating?

ProStreetCamaro
08-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Looks like yellow nutsedge to me.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/purple_nutsedge.html

"Purple nutsedge can be distinguished from yellow nutsedge because it has shorter stems and grows only up to 1-1/3 feet (0.4 m) tall, whereas yellow nutsedge stems can grow to 3 feet (0.9 m) tall. Purple nutsedge leaves are dark green, 1/8 to 4/17 of an inch (3–6 mm) wide, and have rounded tips; yellow nutsedge has light green leaves, a pointed tip, and a leaf width of 1/6 to 2/5 of an inch (4–9 mm)."

RigglePLC
08-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Not sure, but yellow nutsedge has rhizomes and nutlets and spreads by underground rhizomes.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7432.html

Now I see that purple nutsedge has nutlets in chains. Yellow has single nutlets. And the taste is different, purple nutlets are bitter.

Hissing Cobra
08-18-2012, 07:16 AM
It looks like Yellow to me!

ron mexico75
08-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Ok thanks for posting everyone. I treated a regular fescue lawn. I think it's yellow too but just wasn't positive. I guess when I follow up to check on it if the nutsedge isn't affected I will know it was purple not yellow.
Posted via Mobile Device

bug-guy
08-18-2012, 11:23 AM
http://www.walterreeves.com/lawn-care/nutsedge-nutgrass-identification/

Think Green
08-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Ron,
Most times I don't have the time to physically get down there and pull up some shoots to see if it is yellow or purple. I have problems with Kyllinga as well, so I only use Certainty........this way I get all three with one bang!! Looks like yellow nutsedge to me also!

kirk1701
08-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Ok thanks for posting everyone. I treated a regular fescue lawn. I think it's yellow too but just wasn't positive. I guess when I follow up to check on it if the nutsedge isn't affected I will know it was purple not yellow.
Posted via Mobile Device

You won't be able to tell if its been affected, it won't show. Or at least it doesn't show with sedgehammer you just mow it next time and it don't grow back.

Then you know.

Any you missed the first application will show

lawns Etc
08-19-2012, 12:07 AM
Sedgehammer you wont see. It kills from the root up. The others with S ingredient kill from top down and the more active ingredient the harder the kill is on the sedge. Dismiss is a solo product that only has the S ingredient and you canmix it hot enough to supposedly kill the sedge completely but I still see it come back after using dismiss. Sedgehammer and Pro Sedge I see it go away and not return.

I only call it the S BC I can't spell it. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

kirk1701
08-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Sedgehammer you wont see. It kills from the root up. The others with S ingredient kill from top down and the more active ingredient the harder the kill is on the sedge. Dismiss is a solo product that only has the S ingredient and you canmix it hot enough to supposedly kill the sedge completely but I still see it come back after using dismiss. Sedgehammer and Pro Sedge I see it go away and not return.

I only call it the S BC I can't spell it. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep, been three years ago now someone on here told me Sedgehammer.

I did, I haven't seen its nasty head show its face in my yard again.

ron mexico75
08-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Again, thanks everyone for the help. I had some Q4 Plus so that's what I used. I think next time for mid August treatments I will use Solitaire. That kills crab, broadleaves, purple and yellow sedge. Can reseed within 1-2 days after treatment too. It's expensive but I could make my money back and it would last a while. Q4 Plus is a 30 day wait time for reseeding.