PDA

View Full Version : Large Fans for Dusty Job Sites? Shade structures for job sites

rawtoxic
08-18-2012, 09:21 AM
I have been doing a huge 4800sf flagstone job.

I was wondering if anyone has industrial fans they use for when cutting dry stone to blow away the dust from the work area? Can you recommend a correct size/model. My foreman hates the wet saw but one of the employees is asthmatic so I'm trying to improve conditions.

Also I'm thinking about a nice portable shade structure for doing masonry flatwork in the sun all day, right now I have my football tailgating one about destroyed. Is there any designed for job sites more so?

Duekster
08-18-2012, 09:31 AM
WTF No wet saw on a job that big?

all ferris
08-18-2012, 01:45 PM
I have one of those ez up shade canopies. They are a life saver on those 100+ degree days and they are easy to move around.

As far as dust management, We typically use a wet table saw for cutting but sometimes I cut stone in place and if I do that I will either set up so the wind is blowing the dust away from me or get someone to use a backpack blower to blow the dust away. On sensitive job sights I have a chimney sweeping industrial vacuum that could suck the paint off a car.

alldayrj
08-18-2012, 02:21 PM
x2 on the ez up, maybe get a few of them so you dont have to keep moving them but i doubt there is something more easily mobile and fast to set up.

I also use a box fan on some jobs, but you could maybe get one of those massive fans on wheels mechanics sometimes have in their shops

cgaengineer
08-18-2012, 02:21 PM
I have been doing a huge 4800sf flagstone job.

I was wondering if anyone has industrial fans they use for when cutting dry stone to blow away the dust from the work area? Can you recommend a correct size/model. My foreman hates the wet saw but one of the employees is asthmatic so I'm trying to improve conditions.

Also I'm thinking about a nice portable shade structure for doing masonry flatwork in the sun all day, right now I have my football tailgating one about destroyed. Is there any designed for job sites more so?

We just did a flagstone walk and a paver area and used fans and a quick shade at the site.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
08-18-2012, 03:37 PM
A store up here had EZ-up shades on sale in the spring. I picked up four 8'*8', and two 10'*10' ones. I came up with an ingenious way to control the dust when dry cutting. I have a 4' handle mounted on an extension for my wetdry vac. A second guy simply walks beside the saw and can comfortably keep the hose near the blade while keeping his hands away.

alldayrj
08-18-2012, 03:52 PM
A store up here had EZ-up shades on sale in the spring. I picked up four 8'*8', and two 10'*10' ones. I came up with an ingenious way to control the dust when dry cutting. I have a 4' handle mounted on an extension for my wetdry vac. A second guy simply walks beside the saw and can comfortably keep the hose near the blade while keeping his hands away.

not that ingenious since you're paying someone to hold a vacuum hose every time something needs to be cut

GreenI.A.
08-18-2012, 04:02 PM
not that ingenious since you're paying someone to hold a vacuum hose every time something needs to be cut

Ok so what is your option when doing a walkway in a small yard, when you want to poly immediately after so the wet saw is out of the question and you do not want to cover everything in the area with dust. It's more cost effective to have a guy walking with the vac while cutting for 15 minutes than to have a guy cleaning the dust off every surface for 30-60 minutes.

alldayrj
08-18-2012, 04:22 PM
your option is get a saw with a dust hookup, rig one up with duct tape, or have a guy hold the hose.... not saying its stupid. its just not ingenious. i think vacuuming up dust is a conventional and normal way of controlling it.

DVS Hardscaper
08-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Ok so what is your option when doing a walkway in a small yard, when you want to poly immediately after so the wet saw is out of the question and you do not want to cover everything in the area with dust. It's more cost effective to have a guy walking with the vac while cutting for 15 minutes than to have a guy cleaning the dust off every surface for 30-60 minutes.

easiet thing to do is buy an EDCO saw with an optional dust collection system.

Do a search on my user name, you'll see a good looking guy running one.

DVS Hardscaper
08-19-2012, 01:28 PM
And yeah, we use one of them EZ up canopy things for the race track. 10x10. Sun is blocked.

GreenI.A.
08-19-2012, 09:40 PM
easiet thing to do is buy an EDCO saw with an optional dust collection system.

Do a search on my user name, you'll see a good looking guy running one.

I searched your posts, I found the thread for the EDCO table saw. We have a similar rig set up on our table saw that is pretty effective. What I was referring to above is a vac system for use with a cutoff saw.

Krafty
08-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Old squirrel cage furnace fan wired up in a plywood box. Works wonders just make sure you know where you are blowing the dust it will sure carry it a long way... Ditto on the ez-up we have several of them.