PDA

View Full Version : Armadillo damage

ArTurf
08-18-2012, 01:20 PM
My understanding is they are digging for grubs, worms & etc. Would it be effective to apply something at this point or just tell the customer to live with them this year and next year we will put down a preventative ahead of time.

easy-lift guy
08-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Controlling the food supply is your best bet always. As long as your licensed to apply pesticide I would treat now and retreat as needed. The Armadillo are not stupid. Once they learn the diner is closed they will move on as well.
easy-lift guy

Think Green
08-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Ar,
The Armadillo is just now becoming a problem on the outskirts of the city. The Urban estate homes is becoming target because of migration.....I am sure you are aware of this.
Their diet is vast as their food preference has expanded from just insects, amphibians, and soft bodied grubs and worms. They are reverting over to foliage of susceptible plants and garden flowers when food sources is scarce.
You will see that when you treat for one food source in the lawn, that the varmint will go to something new on the same property. I have used lawn insect control products to rid the grassy areas of worms, grubs,etc. and the "dillo" will go to the plants. You almost have to protect all facets of the lawn from this little critter. Lawns that is fenced in will need to be inspected for entry points and corrected. Open lawns is a invitation for these little guys, so it can be up to the local animal control trapping methods or from licensed trappers.
I don't know of the local codes there in the Northwestern corner of the state but here in the Northeast corner..........we have animal control officer's that will try their luck in live trapping the dillo. These animals are very smart and have to be cornered into entrapment.

Good luck!!!

ArTurf
08-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Controlling the food supply is your best bet always. As long as your licensed to apply pesticide I would treat now and retreat as needed. The Armadillo are not stupid. Once they learn the diner is closed they will move on as well.
easy-lift guy

I'm licensed but have mainly focused on weed control. It is obvious that there is a demand for this so I better get up to speed on it.

Favorite control products for the dillo's food supply.

knox gsl
08-18-2012, 03:51 PM
12 gauge with some turkey shot in it.

Ric
08-18-2012, 05:17 PM

Beside Being commercial CPO I am also a Nuisance Wildlife Trapper. The two go together.

IMHO and Other Wildlife trappers I communicate with, Trapping is the best way to eliminate Armadillo. I don't have the time to type instructions on trapping. Therefore Have your customer contract a Professional Trapper.

METRO FS
09-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Armadillos are rampant in my area right now due to the drought. Dillos will migrate to irrigated lawns and as others have said will forage and eat most invertebrates as well as some plants. Armadillos are very strong with huge claws and the effects of their foraging are turf damage, ornamental plant damage and ripped up irrigation lines to name a few. Armadillos can be trapped using a "drift fence" to funnel them into the unbaited traps. I have included an example of a one where a total of five dillos were captured. With armadillos the cell divides creating four identical embryos and in turn the armadillo gives birth to quadruplets. So keep in mind that if you trap one there are probably more in the area. Due to the strength of the animal strong traps are needed as they they will tear up and blow out of a cheap trap. Due to the proper equipment needed, disposition of the captured animal, varying state regulations and proper insurance, this is best left to Animal Damage Control/Nuisance Wildlife personnel.

Ric
09-01-2012, 11:51 AM
METRO FS

Great pictures and sample of a good Armadillo trap set up. I use a little different Guides for my funnel but basically the same set up.

Two differences I do are First try and cover the wire floor of the trap so the animal does feel something un-usual. Second I believe in baiting the trap. I use Earth Worms in a womens nylon ankle sock. Each night I put out the bait and each morning I remove the bait and keep it in the refrigerator.

Anyone interested in trapping should Check out U TUBE. There is a wealth of information there.

METRO FS
09-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Ha! In my area of the Ozarks if I used bait of any kind I would be picking up skunks and possums every morning! When the armadillos are working a lawn they generally pick up where they left off and others are drawn to the scent of the first captured dillo. (for those that haven't smelled armadillo just think elephant pen at the zoo) Most of my sets are in nice irrigated lawns with 4" grass and the trap beds nicely. I use netting on long drift fences and boards on smaller sets. The net sets are made once and then rolled up after use for easy storage. I have 25' and 50' sets made up and combine them as needed for long or staggered sets. On mulch beds or on positive sets at the burrow, I agree that the bottom does need a dusting of the surrounding material whether it be soil or light mulch. Btw, you oughta be slaying them down there this time of year! Are you in an urban or rural part of FL?

Ric
09-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Ha! In my area of the Ozarks if I used bait of any kind I would be picking up skunks and possums every morning! When the armadillos are working a lawn they generally pick up where they left off and others are drawn to the scent of the first captured dillo. (for those that haven't smelled armadillo just think elephant pen at the zoo) Most of my sets are in nice irrigated lawns with 4" grass and the trap beds nicely. I use netting on long drift fences and boards on smaller sets. The net sets are made once and then rolled up after use for easy storage. I have 25' and 50' sets made up and combine them as needed for long or staggered sets. On mulch beds or on positive sets at the burrow, I agree that the bottom does need a dusting of the surrounding material whether it be soil or light mulch. Btw, you oughta be slaying them down there this time of year! Are you in an urban or rural part of FL?

To my East is Citrus and Cattle and to my West is my market area which is water front Retirees in a very urban setting. I charge a Trap set Fee and each time I check the Trap I charge a Travel fee. If I find a animal in my Trap the Travel fee is dropped in place of a Critter removal fee. If I find a skunk or Possum in my trap, So much the better I am getting paid for the capture and removal.

Years ago I had a County Contract to remove Black Spine Iguana from a Barrier Island. I bought a small chest Freezer and used it to Euthanize the Iguanas by placing the Traps inside the freezer. The Guy I buy my Bait Mice from, has a home made CO2 set up. He put the Mice in a small Ice Chest and shoots CO2 in it. The mouse is instantly frozen for Reptile food. Reptile owner like frozen mice for many reasons. I want Live Bait for my snake traps.

I just went looking for a recent thread that I didn't find. It was about trapping and the use of Poison Baits. Australia has a Hog Problem also and has already legalized Poison Baits. Of course Guns are Illegal there. Our USDA currently has a ban on Using Poison on Swine. but They are researching the Idea of Using Sodium Nitrate to Control Hogs. Secondary Consummation of the poison by scavengers is a Big Environmental Issue with Approving Poisoning of Hogs.