PDA

View Full Version : Fire pit questions

jwilkers2vt
08-19-2012, 08:39 AM
I am installing a Techo-Bloc fire pit on a new patio for a customer, and they want it to be gas. Who are good suppliers of gas rings? I see plenty of them on the internet, but I am looking for a reputable, knowledgable supplier.

Also, the customer mentioned using sand to disperse the gas, but can you use sand with LP? I thought you could only with Natural Gas. Also, what is a good auto ignitor? I do not want to have to service this thing all the time.

thanks for the advice

Joe

scagrider22
08-19-2012, 09:31 AM
I use HPC, I buy a kit that comes with a 30" stainless steel ring and the valve for around $150

jbailey52
08-22-2012, 07:53 PM
I have done several fire features in countertops, NG fireplaces etc. I would not recommend you installing this yourself. Get your local fireplace store and start a relationship with them. Only a licensed plumber should be installing this. I have learned there are so many options and requirements that need to be followed. Plus, they will have answers for all the questions you have asked.

alexschultz1
08-22-2012, 09:34 PM
I would never go to a plumber for running a simple gas line.. Just make sure to do your research before you take a saw zaw to a pressurized gas line.

alldayrj
08-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Gas is probably the only thing I WOULD use a plumber for, its gas! It explodes!

I was at the dump a few miles away from this the other day
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/nyregion/child-killed-14-hurt-in-brentwood-house-explosion.html
I think they ruled it was ghetto plumbing related to the big propane tanks

GreenI.A.
08-23-2012, 01:48 AM
I would never go to a plumber for running a simple gas line.. Just make sure to do your research before you take a saw zaw to a pressurized gas line.

most states require a gas license to touch anything gas. Let me ask you this, if you needed to run electricity out the patio area, would you add another circuit yourself or would you bring in a licensed electrician? You touch a gas line and you own it for life. The line begins to fail in 20 years, guess who they are coming for. If their is an accident caused from a gas line you installed, will your insurance cover it?

DVS Hardscaper
08-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Gas is dangerous. It does not sit and smolder. It does not have a circuit breaker that can trip.

Gas explodes.

We will excavate the trench and install stone dust. But we will
Not lay a finger on a line, fittings, or couplers or anything.

We do not install electric either. I'm not a licensed electrician. Nor are lawn jockeys turned bad a$$ patio contractors.
Posted via Mobile Device

alexschultz1
08-23-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm not a licensed electrician or a plumber however I'm very confident that my work will not fail. I need to check my local codes again though, I never gave it a second thought.

DVS Hardscaper
08-23-2012, 04:28 PM
I'm not a licensed electrician or a plumber however I'm very confident that my work will not fail. I need to check my local codes again though, I never gave it a second thought.

Translation : I'm a hillbilly

Posted via Mobile Device

big daddy b
08-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Lol.......................

GreenI.A.
08-23-2012, 05:59 PM

In a backwoods redneck accent "I'm not a licensed plumber or electrician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night"

Remind me not to have a heart attack anywhere near you. You might think you are qualified to be a cardiologist as well.

jbailey52
08-23-2012, 10:08 PM
"great news, after we run the gas line for mrs. Roberts, she hired us to renovate her bathroom as well"

Jack of all trades

Krafty
08-23-2012, 10:36 PM
"great news, after we run the gas line for mrs. Roberts, she hired us to renovate her bathroom as well"

Jack of all trades

.......master of none!"