PDA

View Full Version : Sedge control in fall

khutch
08-19-2012, 01:43 PM
What kind of results could I expect using MANAGE for sedge control in the fall. Better to wait again until spring?? Problem I have had in the past is high temps and low moisture by the time the sedge has enough growth.

RigglePLC
08-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Now is fine. Manage is now marketed as Sedgehammer--same stuff, Halosulfuron or something like that.

ArTurf
08-20-2012, 10:57 PM
What variety of grass are you treating? I am assuming warm season, if so better not wait too late. If the grass is going dormant certain herbicides can cause damage and the sedge may not be active enough for a good adsorption.

khutch
08-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Treating both bermuda and TTF. We are in a period of no rain and high 80's right now so would like to wait for temps to come down a bit and still get two treatments in. Assuming one treatment will not do anything?

ArTurf
08-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Can't speak for the TTF the bermuda is starting to slow down where I'm at. I assume your's is close to mine as I am in south Ark. May have time for one treatment but I wouldn't do a 2nd. If you burn the bermuda bad it might be slow in recovering.

RigglePLC
08-23-2012, 08:33 PM
I suggest treat now. Nutsedge disappears when the temps cool off. Dies back to roots. In spring you will not see nutsedge until the temperature is above 80 degrees.

fmcprosolutions
08-28-2012, 11:52 PM
If you treat now as RigglePLC suggests, different active ingredients will provide different levels of control for your sedge. SedgeHammer (formerly MANAGE) will provide good residual for the rest of this year, but it takes a while for it to work and it won't impact sedge populations much next year. If you try one of our sulfentrazone-based products (Dismiss, Dismiss South--warm-season turf targeted for purple nutsedge, Blindside, or Solitare), they will control the sedge quickly and it will stop many of the tubers from germinating next year. Our research shows a 60-70% reduction the following year, when you get the right about of active ingredient applied for your turf type. It's also important to know that sulfentrazone works through both root uptake and foliar absorption, so if you spot treat an area, you get benefits where you might not see the sedge yet because of the root-uptake. You can also get a headstart on sedge next spring with a pre-emerge application with Echelon.