PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Hunting? Has anyone ever tried this!

GreenMan33
08-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Hello,

I like the outdoors very much. I like to fish, outdoors junkie when I can get the time. I was wondering has anybody did any coyote hunting? I would like to try this one day, the only problem I don't have any land to hunt on and I live in Louisville, KY the city. So if anyone that lives near Louisville, KY and hunts coyotes email me and would love to try this.

Greenman33

easy-lift guy
08-19-2012, 05:17 PM
As an invasive exotic species, I would not say I love to destroy this species, but the next time a pack are out side my window at Two in the morning, I suspect there will be a few of them that will pass on due to acute lead poisoning. The fish in my pond will take care of the remains. Case closed.
easy-lift guy

unit28
09-03-2012, 05:30 PM
As an invasive exotic species, I would not say I love to destroy this species,

As hunters, we don't seek and destroy.

And as far as exotic, going back to the Lewis and Clark Trail {expedition}
Coyotes and Bobcats were a first discoverd species I believe.

I think I may have also read yotes and dogs wound up being table fare, except for Clark.

clydebusa
09-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Did it years ago up in Nebraska,, use to get 60 bucks a hide for them. Pretty good money and farmers would always give you permission to hunt them.

noahb195
09-04-2012, 08:59 PM
We've tried countless times to go out there and kill a few but they are really smart. Within the past 2 years DNR has brought in whats called a red timberwolf
They are just as bad or not worse than coyotes. A lot bigger also. What could they have thinking do this crap.:dizzy:

Snyder's Lawn Inc
09-04-2012, 10:59 PM
We've tried countless times to go out there and kill a few but they are really smart. Within the past 2 years DNR has brought in whats called a red timberwolf
They are just as bad or not worse than coyotes. A lot bigger also. What could they have thinking do this crap.:dizzy:

We had red timber wolves they got shot
Around here we run dogs alot its a hobby use to make good money still do on bobcats
Now I enjoy calling them up Bobcats and Coyotes Foxs even badgers I use all hand made calls more enjoyment
Shoot them 200-300 yrds away but there days and wind is right I'll call them up with in 30-40 yrds shoot them with shot gun

We have Cattle Ranch so have to keep the Coyotes thin

Hope you find somebody take you hunting once you do it you will be hook for life

JTAYLORLAWN
09-04-2012, 11:11 PM
I live in e-town just south of louisville and hunt yotes quite often and 90 percent of farmers are more than accepting of the offer to hunt their coyotes! We will have to wait until deer season passes though, people tend to frown on ya encroaching on their deer woods...... Its is alot of fun and really challenging most of the time, they very seldom stop so you haveta hit them on the run more times than not.. pm me your email and e ca n work somethin out.

noahb195
09-20-2012, 07:10 PM
We had red timber wolves they got shot
Around here we run dogs alot its a hobby use to make good money still do on bobcats
Now I enjoy calling them up Bobcats and Coyotes Foxs even badgers I use all hand made calls more enjoyment
Shoot them 200-300 yrds away but there days and wind is right I'll call them up with in 30-40 yrds shoot them with shot gun

We have Cattle Ranch so have to keep the Coyotes thin

Hope you find somebody take you hunting once you do it you will be hook for life

We run dogs here too, but not for coyotes people love running deer drives here. Cant say I have participated in it. Im a traditional hunter I'll sit in stand hours and hours on end.

gusbuster
09-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Nothing like lambing season and getting to shoot coyotes.

Back when we were teens in South CA, where our family friend would lamb his sheep, even in a corral area, the coyotes would sneak in and get a new born lamb. So we were welcomed any time to reduce the local population.

Problem is, new corral doesn't exist, sheep are gone, and houses now stand where once was wild grass land and pasture.

Nothing real fancy, just a little .22 and iron sights. Oh, CA F&G also frowns on this practice now. Also, dumb people leave their dog and cat food outside and they wonder why their small puppies and cats are getting eaten or why their small child is bitten while walking a nature trail....go figure.

TriCountyLawn
09-21-2012, 11:21 AM
I have been in on a few night hunts for them due to them messing with peoples farms. The M1a was great for this. Im not a big fan of killing things but having seen a pack of them gang up on young farm animals IMO that was alot worse.

The AR and AK/SKS didn't do a half bad of a job either. lol

Mark Oomkes
09-21-2012, 02:22 PM
I want to, really bad. I just never can find or make the time. Someday.

cgaengineer
09-21-2012, 03:24 PM
I will hunt for food, but not for the pleasure of just killing something.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark Oomkes
09-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Coyotes and foxes in many places are becoming nuisances, similar to feral hogs.

I normally subscribe to your philosophy as well, but when skunks are spraying my dogs; coons are tearing everything up and in my bird feeders; same with squirrels; I will shoot to reduce the population.

unit28
09-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

good, that means more pleasure for the rest of us

BTW: if ya want to chew on one
here's a recipe just in case you need it.:)
Oh, and I think only Islamic and Jewish law at sometime forbade such food.
just sayin...

2-4 lbs of coyote meat
16 oz of apricot preserves
1 bottle BBQ sauce
1/2 purple onion diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Throw it all in a crock pot and let it cook for 8 hours
makes good jerky

cgaengineer
09-21-2012, 07:31 PM
good, that means more pleasure for the rest of us

BTW: if ya want to chew on one
here's a recipe just in case you need it.:)
Oh, and I think only Islamic and Jewish law at sometime forbade such food.
just sayin...

2-4 lbs of coyote meat
16 oz of apricot preserves
1 bottle BBQ sauce
1/2 purple onion diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Throw it all in a crock pot and let it cook for 8 hours
makes good jerky

I ain't eating no dog...
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
07-30-2014, 03:31 PM

To get Coyote you need a Game Call. I have even tied a live Chicken out as Bait. Calling them in with a Caller is a real art form. So I use a electronic caller with a remote. Sitting heavy cover I set up my caller and bait at least 50 yards a way. I like to use a 22 mag or a 223 for coyote.

AI Inc
07-30-2014, 03:48 PM
As hunters, we don't seek and destroy.

And as far as exotic, going back to the Lewis and Clark Trail {expedition}
Coyotes and Bobcats were a first discoverd species I believe.

I think I may have also read yotes and dogs wound up being table fare, except for Clark.

That depends where one resides. Im in New England and these aint ya daddys yotes. They are up to 28% Canadian timberwolf . Unlike the western coyote who is usually found wandering alone , these critters hunt in packs and are devastating to young deer.

White Gardens
07-30-2014, 04:01 PM
Back when I was in high school and still hunted, we did some coyote hunting.

We mainly did it because the population is bad in the area I grew up, but it was something to do in the late winter when all the other hunting seasons were done.

What we did was to use our CB's and get a hold of other hunters in the area. We would then drive around and look for them in the snow covered fields.

As soon as one was spotted, you would holler at someone else on the CB and get them in on it. Basically trying to surround the coyotes.

You would then drive into the open fields, get within range, and hop out and take a shot.

Pretty red-neck, but it's what we did.

Ric
07-30-2014, 04:12 PM
That depends where one resides. Im in New England and these aint ya daddys yotes. They are up to 28% Canadian timberwolf . Unlike the western coyote who is usually found wandering alone , these critters hunt in packs and are devastating to young deer.

I can remember were I was Reading or the name of a Mixed breed of Coyote and Timber wolf. But the bottom line was they were a real problem and mostly in Canada and New England.

AI Inc
07-30-2014, 04:15 PM
I can remember were I was Reading or the name of a Mixed breed of Coyote and Timber wolf. But the bottom line was they were a real problem and mostly in Canada and New England.

There is a good book out there called " America's new wolf"

http://www.amazon.com/Americas-New-Wolf-Gene-Letourneau/dp/0930096347

TTS
07-30-2014, 04:28 PM
My neighbor is an aging farmer. I will shoot em in his cow pens but that's about ut. I don't have a problem with guys who hunt them at all but I don't eat them, their hides aren't worth much any more and I don't feel like staying up all night waiting.

Now I stick to hunting animals that taste good, look good stuffed or have valuable pelts.
Posted via Mobile Device