PDA

View Full Version : Turf Tracer cutting low

Cutter1
08-16-2000, 05:52 PM
I have a 48" Exmark Turf Tracer. It cuts low on the right side for some reason. I'm sure your thinking the same thing as that other post, air pressure!! I checked that, they are all the same pressure. I checked for a bent spindle, low tread, and everything else imaginable. I put spacers on the right side only to raise it up, it know cuts level, but it is off by about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Why?!!?!? Its driving me nuts. This happens with or with out a bag on it too.

Guido
08-16-2000, 07:40 PM
Sounds like you covered the bases and did a really good check on the machine before you posted, you deserve a pat on the back!

You might have checke it already, but how about the rear wheel adjustment? Or vertical play in the spindles??

Let us know what you end up finding out!

Cutter1
08-16-2000, 08:20 PM
Spindles are good, had them checked!! There isn't an adjustment for the rear wheels either. No one can figure it out including my Exmark dealer!! Oh well, it still cuts.

Keith
08-16-2000, 08:34 PM
How long have you noticed it?

Rufur
08-16-2000, 09:17 PM
is it cutting below the setting?

Cutter1
08-17-2000, 05:53 PM
Keith...It never did it last year, but for some reason it just started cutting like that. I still have no idea.

Cutter1
08-17-2000, 05:54 PM
Rufur....Its cutting below the height just on the right side.

Runner
08-17-2000, 09:54 PM
Cutter1,
How much lower is it cutting exactly? Are you blades mixed with others? (Sometimes different brands have slightly different thicknesses) And, does it do it all the time or just when you curve to the left? Let me know.

Eric ELM
08-17-2000, 10:00 PM
It could even be one that is bent down a bit, but if it's only on one side, maybe not. If you sharpen the same blades and put them on the same spindles, it could be the problem of a bent blade. Give us some more details.

Bluegrass
08-17-2000, 10:04 PM
OK, this may get a little technical, but bear with me. I am not familiar with your specific machine, but this should apply if your deck has the blade spindles one placed further foreward than the others.

If you use the front wheel casters to adjust your cutting height, and you lower the front end on the mower, the blade that sits furthest foreward will actually cut a little lower than the rest, because of the deck not being level. You will need to check out your owners manual to see what the recommended setup is for the cutting height that you desire. You will probally have to have your deck set fairly close to level, and adjust your cutting height using the blade spindle spacers.

Along the same lines, if the front of the deck is raised too high, the same thing can happen, only this time the blades that are furthest back will be giving the lower cut. This also is harder on the mower, the blade is cutting on all 360 degrees, cutting the grass with the front of the balde, and again with the back. THis takes a bit more engine power.

Hope this helps and made sense.

Cutter1
08-20-2000, 11:02 PM
Lets see.....They are all the same blades. It is a floating deck so the whole deck goes up and down. The bades are not bent, they all match up perfectly. ( I also put a brand new set on) I don't know what else to say, it jsut cuts low on one side!!! Time to trade her in!!

bob
08-20-2000, 11:11 PM
Put a Toro sticker over the Exmark name and sell it to Stone.

geogunn
08-20-2000, 11:16 PM
cutter--this is a drastic measure (oops!--read on) you should take the mower to a perfectly flat location. then measure all of the distances from the floor to the machine.

ie: both sides of deck, all three blades from front of the deck to the floor and from the back of the deck to the floor. you get the idea. this should give you all the critical measurements and the problem should be revealed.

another option and probably the best one is to take the mower to an auto frame alignment shop. explain the problem and they'll find the reason for the low cut. it wont be hard for them because the frame machine is perfect in alignment. (or it should be).

good luck.

GEO

Evan528
08-20-2000, 11:45 PM
why does every one on here insist on fixing things themself! Put a side the eego and take it to your dealer.. especially if its stil under warranty!

Cutter1
08-21-2000, 12:58 PM
Evan....I never fix things myself unless its something small. I don't have time to do that. Know all the facts first slick. Its been in the shop four times for this, but yet they still do not know whats wrong with it. I have put it on a flat surface, it is just lower on the one side. Maybe the frame is bent, oh well, it still cuts. The warranty is up!!

TurfMaster
08-21-2000, 07:58 PM
It sounds like you sprung your deck to me. You didn't run your deck into anything solid or lift it with a large amount of wait on one end??? After all the comments that everyone else has made and all the checking you did...this is the only thing that I can think of. If the spindles are straight, the tire pressure is equal(tire size is equal too), and the frame of the mower has not been altered in anyway then you know it has something to to with the deck itself. Put a level on that thing and see if the deck itself is buckled(sprung) after making sure that it is lifted the equal amount of height all around the deck.

That's the only thing I can think of. If not, trade it and say that it has a grass "unleveling feature" that straightens out any minor bumps on a lawn by shaving it off on one side!

Cutter1
08-22-2000, 03:24 PM
Thats sounds logical. I'll have to check that out. I have beat the you know what out of this thing, I could have run into something and not even thought about it.