PDA

View Full Version : Running out of an enclosed trailer

BLC1
08-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Can you help me the pros and cons of running fert and squirt out of an enclosed trailer.

I am thinking it would be nice to keep the truck free when we are not fertilizing. The weight stays off the truck a little more. Keep everything dry and organized. Nice billboard.

The cons might be harder to get in and out of smaller properties. I would assume unless you had a custom trailer, you wouldnt be able to fork a pallet into the trailer.

kbrashears
08-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Can you help me the pros and cons of running fert and squirt out of an enclosed trailer.

I am thinking it would be nice to keep the truck free when we are not fertilizing. The weight stays off the truck a little more. Keep everything dry and organized. Nice billboard.

The cons might be harder to get in and out of smaller properties. I would assume unless you had a custom trailer, you wouldnt be able to fork a pallet into the trailer.

I run out of an open trailer. I want an enclosed one. Too many missed hours of work because "it might rain" or wet roads. I'm probably. Going to custom build one with a pallet door. 16-18 feet long.

BLC1
08-21-2012, 10:31 PM
I was running through some options in my mind and thought a 14' would be nice. Not too big and not to small.

kbrashears
08-21-2012, 10:43 PM
I was running through some options in my mind and thought a 14' would be nice. Not too big and not to small.

The prob with one that short is that if you are running low on fert or liquid, your weight of the Z is going to be behind the axles. That isn't good. The longer trailer will pull better, it will back easier, and you'll have more operating room.

jbell36
08-22-2012, 12:32 AM
we have a 16' enclosed that has a skid tank up front...it's nice and all, but i'm not a big fan of trailers in general, have had too many employee mistakes and DOT bullshit to deal with...a truck is much more maneuverable...but you also get very good advertising and protection out of an enclosed...very close call but i would choose truck only

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-22-2012, 02:26 AM
I run my PG out of my 7x14 enclosed. My trailer is custom with a 48" drop down side ramp - I would not trade that ramp door for anything I use it more than the rear door.
So, I run my 36" WB out of the trailer, run the PG in its place, and still have room for my 21" pusher and Z turn in the back in case I need to stop by on my route and knock a lawn down. My clear water nurse tank goes in my pickup bed and my fert either goes in the bed OR in the trailer depending on how much fert I am going to carry.

Efficiency
08-22-2012, 06:42 AM
The thing to watch is the tongue weight if you have a full pallet in the front. We have a couple set up like this and no I wont share pics.

DLCS
08-22-2012, 07:30 AM
I'm looking for a box truck. Seems to me this would be the best of both worlds.

Landgreen
08-22-2012, 09:41 AM
I run a 14' v-nose. Zspray jr in back, water tank in the nose, fert stacked along the side. The weight of the z-spray in the back is offset by the tank in the front. I have a hose as well as a direct connect to the z-spray. Everything works great. Only problem i have is fert bags. If stacked more than 4 high they fall on lefthand turns. I usually put 20 bags in the trailer and if I need extra I put them in the pickup bed. On days where I need a full pallet I just slide it in the pickup bed.
Posted via Mobile Device

kbrashears
08-22-2012, 11:49 PM
I have no desire to put a pallet of fert in the back of a truck. I want to load the fert in the hopper inside the trailer. I hate climbing up in the truck to get the top bags on a new pallet. I also hate stacking 30-40 bags. It's time consuming. I want to slide a pallet right in, then load it right there.

BLC1
08-23-2012, 08:20 AM
That was another big thing for me. It seems so much easier to be able to load in the trailer opposed to climbing in the truck, over the rack to load it up. You have to climb in the get to different spray cans.

I see a few guys around here with box trucks and that looks like a great idea besides its going against why I want a trailer. I am trying to get my truck out on the road more doing other jobs between apps. I feel like the box truck would sit around just like this truck while it is loaded up.

kbrashears
08-23-2012, 10:14 AM
That was another big thing for me. It seems so much easier to be able to load in the trailer opposed to climbing in the truck, over the rack to load it up. You have to climb in the get to different spray cans.

I see a few guys around here with box trucks and that looks like a great idea besides its going against why I want a trailer. I am trying to get my truck out on the road more doing other jobs between apps. I feel like the box truck would sit around just like this truck while it is loaded up.

I actually like pulling a trailer. Furthermore, if one of my trucks break down, no problem. Hook up with another truck while it gets fixed. Can't say that about a box truck.

BLC1
08-23-2012, 07:41 PM
That too, doesn't seem like many cons to the trailer setup

Laner
08-23-2012, 11:01 PM
I run an open trailer currently, however am working on a plan for an enclosed trailer in the future. I started with a tank in the back of the truck, then added the PG and a small trailer, which worked well, but I didn't want the tank in the back of the truck all the time. Now it is all on an open trailer, which I keep inside all the time in case of rain. I want to free up some space in the shed and look more professional and clean by loading in the trailer.

Laner
04-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Ok, so you guys that are running an enclosed trailer......Do you still drag hose or use only ride-on sprayers? I have a few lawns that either would have to be sprayed by hose or backpack type sprayer. If you still drag hose, how do you have the reel setup so the hose isn't rubbing against the door opening?