PDA

View Full Version : Crabgrass already dying

DLCS
08-22-2012, 07:27 AM
I noticed on some of my lawns that the crabgrass looks to be already dying out. Seems a bit early, I know we had a couple nights where the temps got to the upper 40's for lows but still I can't remember crabgrass going already. Chalk it up to the strange year we are having, I guess.

cgaengineer
08-22-2012, 07:29 AM
I noticed on some of my lawns that the crabgrass looks to be already dying out. Seems a bit early, I know we had a couple nights where the temps got to the upper 40's for lows but still I can't remember crabgrass going already. Chalk it up to the strange year we are having, I guess.

Where are you located?
Posted via Mobile Device

DLCS
08-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Northern illinois
Posted via Mobile Device

Raymond S.
08-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Saw the same thing in Northern IN. Just starting to turn color
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
08-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Northern illinois
Posted via Mobile Device

Wish it was that cool here!
Posted via Mobile Device

lawn king
08-22-2012, 05:25 PM
I noticed crabgrass turning purple a week ago! I was in northern vermont last weekend and the leaves up there are already turning! I predict an early leaf drop here in the northeast followed by a fierce winter.

cgaengineer
08-22-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm guessing it will be a cold one here as well. We've had a rather cool summer...not many days above 100.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassmasterswilson
08-22-2012, 05:42 PM
It's in full bloom here... just waiting for some cool weather to slow down a little. August is here and I'm getting a little burned out.

cgaengineer
08-22-2012, 06:07 PM
It's in full bloom here... just waiting for some cool weather to slow down a little. August is here and I'm getting a little burned out.

Me too...
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

DLCS
08-22-2012, 08:32 PM
i wish these temps would last, suppose to hit low 90's over the weekend. But thats cool compared to what we have had this summer. I've been doing leaf cleanups on a couple of properties along with mowing. Some trees have been dropping leaves since july here.

RigglePLC
08-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Around here we have had a low of 45 degrees. Crabgrass is slightly brown and purplish, but not actually injured, in my opinion. Still seems vigorous to me. High of 90 predicted tomorrow.
http://www.agweather.geo.msu.edu/mawn/report.asp?fileid=hvld

greenbaylawns
08-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Crabgrass is turning here too..Omaha area. I've seen some Blazing Maple tree's half red already! Leaves will drop early I think and I hope it snows a ton since half of the yards burned up and loss money..Now I'm worried about the aeration and overseeding operation... needs to start asap. Usually I dont start till the day after Labor Day.

unit28
08-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Topic: Record cold in places

August 16th brought a record-tying low temperature to International Falls with a reading of 41 degrees F (tied 1958). But more significantly a strong Canadian high pressure ridge brought the coldest August 17th (Fri) since 1963 to many parts of the state. New record low temperatures were set at: Silver Bay (34 F); Hibbing (34 F); Crane Lake (36 F); Princeton (37 F); Austin (38 F); and Waseca (39 F). In addition many observers reported tying their record cold low temperatures on August 17th including, 36 degrees F at Fosston (tied 2007), 37 degrees F at Little Falls (tied 1999); 37 degrees F at Hallock (tied 1904); and 39 degrees F at Park Rapids (tied 1896). For many these were the coldest readings since May 16th last spring.
--
I'm right next to Princeton. Seeing maples turn as well.

Unfortunantly with the lack of precip, we may see early leaf drop and short color changes. Went from 6.5 inches of rain in July to about an inch for August. The daily ET has been around .18 so any trace of precip is not doing any good.