PDA

View Full Version : Helper Messed Up (Originally Posted by Bob)

Eric ELM
08-16-2000, 07:25 PM
My #3 helper put my Shindaiwa EB630 blower(5 months old) on the blower rack today. He didn't put the pin in to hold the blower to the rack. At the next stop the blower was gone. All that remained was the tube assembly stuck to the trailer. I doubled back but couldn't find it. I called all the local lawn shops and told them to be on the look out for an EB630 in need of repair.

Bob

Bob: I had to edit out the original Heading of your post. The only way I could do it was delete it and repost your original message. We have women and young guys that read these posts. I'm sure everyone has heard that word, but I deleted another post last night using the same one. I realize it didn't have all the right letters in it, but it was easy to figure out. Lets keep this clean guys.

Eric
Lawnsite Moderator

gusbuster
08-16-2000, 07:27 PM
So what do you do in that case..fire the guy..nock his pay..
tough call. Does this helper always make mistakes, if that is the case, good-bye. Everybody makes mistakes,but the ones that do it all the time,this situation would be perfect case for dismissal. Good luck on collecting. You try, the guy walks. Ultimitly, the driver of the vehicle is responsible for ALL EQUIPMENT IS SECURED!
Can't say I haven't done something stupid like this myself,but always took resposibilty.
John

Guido
08-16-2000, 08:18 PM
I agree totally with John on this one. Something like this happened to 2 guys in our shop involving a trailer. One guy started to hook the 10 ton trailer to the dump truck and never got to finish. The other guy saw that the trailer was hooked up and figured it was good and took off, breaking the jackstands right off the trailer.

Another story, funny enough, the same dufas driver jumped in a dump truck one day, again without doing his walk around first, and didn't see that the trailer was on the back of the truck. (Its actually easy to do this the way we park in tight rows, and at night its worse!!) The trailer still had the light harness and the safety chains hooked to the truck!! :( It pulled the neck of the trailer into the back of the truck and busted a brake light and turn signal, and bent the landing gear quite a bit too.

The moral of the story is always check to make sure your vehicle/trailer/complete load is secure before driving off!!

Safety First!!

(Blower second!!) :)

Sorry about the loss though, hope it turns up!

plymouthvaliant73
08-16-2000, 08:42 PM
Gusbuster wrote:

"So what do you do in that case..fire the guy..nock his pay.. "

Check your state employment and payroll laws before "nocking" an employee's pay.

In my state it is legal to ask the guy to pay for it, legal to fire him if he doesn't; but you
are subject to triple damages if you take it out of his pay without his consent.

Keith
08-16-2000, 09:23 PM
Give him a hand held blower to use for a while. I bet he will be a little more careful with the next backpack :)

Stinger
08-16-2000, 09:38 PM
I have a real strict policy about damage to my trucks, equipment, etc. If it's unintential or something that could of happened to anyone I let it go. If you're a continious screw up then you've got to go. My guys pay for things they break that way they gain respect for the equipment. They must understand all employees, not just the boss depends on this equipment to make a living day to day. So I involve them in routine maintance to help educate employees in taking care of the tools we all need to make the next job look as good as the last. Yes we all make mistakes but I feel the crew leader should secure and double check the truck and trailer for it is his responsibility.

bob
08-16-2000, 10:13 PM
Sorry about that Eric.
I ordered a new blower to replace the lost one. The helper wants to pay for it but I said no. Incedently,the place I ordered my blower from is selling T-230's for $225 and T-270's for $325. Plus $15 shipping. E-mail me for more info.

Kent Lawns
08-17-2000, 04:15 PM
Bob, you've got a guy who's a team player and wants to help pay for the lost blower.

That's worth more than that blower any day.

Guido
08-17-2000, 05:16 PM
Wow, he must be a great assest to your company if he offered to do that! Good to hear that it all worked out!

jeffyr
08-17-2000, 05:44 PM
I had a guy leave a Redmax 6200 in front of a customers house while cleaning up and he went around back. To make matters worse, it was a bus stop ! I put the blower on the truck and after leaving the job asked him about it and he didn't even remenber leaving it there. I'm glad I grabbed it before anyone else did. I don't think he would have been so forthcoming in paying for the loss.

jeffyr

Runner
08-17-2000, 11:25 PM
Guido,
It sounds like you may need to instill the same policy we have and for the same reasons. That is; If you are hooking up a trailer (or unhooking) you DO NOT LEAVE YOUR POST until the task is complete! For ANY reason! This woll save alot of these mishaps. I went through same type of thing- ripped wiring harness right out of trailer. Pain!

eslawns
08-17-2000, 11:58 PM
I'd have my helper sign an agreement to pay for anything he breaks or loses BEFORE he does it. Takes care of getting his consent to take $$ from his check. You could have them sign out each piece daily. Or make each crew leader responsible for things. That's why you pay him the big bucks, right. I've lost things before myself, but I've made a habit of walking around the trailer to check. Can't tell you how many times I left the house without my trim mower because my son used it on a neighbor's yard and didn't put it back.

The guy who offered to pay for it was a stand-up guy. Hope you realize how lucky you are to have him. I know a guy ( BIG crew outfit) who has people deliberately steal and damage his equipment. That's why I've kept it small.