PDA

View Full Version : How many acers?

Turf Technologies
01-14-2003, 07:00 PM
Has anyone ever landacaped over 300 acers before?If you we offered that much would you sub it out some? Just wondering.

AGLA
01-14-2003, 09:50 PM
Are you talking about maple trees (Acers) or land (acres)? I don't mean to be a wise guy, I am just unsure.

Turf Technologies
01-14-2003, 11:30 PM
Sorry that was acres. Type faster then I should sorry.Longtime friend of our family it seems will have us landscape and maintain his 300 plus acre compound. But I cant seem to fathome landscaping that much property, mowing sure np.

longslawn
01-15-2003, 08:17 AM
Thats a big project for even a fairly large company. Do you have a master plan? On a site a large as this you may have many problems such as drainage and EPA laws to overcome. This is a project that will most likely need a landscape architect to look at the site and come up with a plan for drainage and other issuses.

I myself would have to sub alot of the project just to keep it from lasting so long.

300 landscaped acres to maintain is a big maintenance contract. You better be prepared! Theres more to keeping up a landscape than mowing.

GarPA
01-15-2003, 08:45 AM
I am a small operation and I do more landscaping than anything else....300 acres is a HUGE project....even for a BIG company....and I'm talking a very big company....perhaps you could be the General Contractor and sub out pieces of the project to companies who do certain things....as said above....just the maintenance of this much would be a big task....and make damn sure you price the maint right because you and yours will be spending a boatload of hours on it....so it better be profitable...I;d walk away from something that big....mostly because if you lost it, you would have an enormous hole to fill

rodfather
01-15-2003, 09:18 AM
I grew up on a 100 acre farm and can remember how much work that was (and spread out as well). I can't fathom taking care of 3 times that much property.

I know one thing...you better have a boatload of help just to mow.

AGLA
01-15-2003, 06:13 PM
What is there now and what is it that they want to do with it?

Turf Technologies
01-15-2003, 08:18 PM
Well , what I know is this. A friend of ours bught 300 acres. All homes are about done. He wants it landscaped, Im assuming not all 300 but you never know.My brother and I havent gone into details about it really he just mentioned it to us.More than likely we will maintain it. But how would you go about subing the landscape work out and can you make money from that?

Im not 100% sure we will do this, but I was curious to see what some had to say on this.

noclevername
01-15-2003, 10:10 PM
We have three large estates that we maintain along with the rest of our properties.
One of them is a 100 acres, one 35 acres, and one 25 acres.
The 100 acre property has a main house, guest house, pool house, two pump houses, a barn (which has been turned into an entertainment area), shop and two fully stocked ponds. It also includes a large outdoor pool and tennis court. We are responsible for all the outdoor and most of the indoor maintenance except for the pool where a outside company does the weekly service co-ordinated through us. There is approx. 15 acres that is cut weekly and another 35 acres that are cut bi-weekly. On the 15 acres we use two 60" Lazer's and a Kubota B2400. On the 35 acres we use a Kubota M5030 with a Bradcoe 144" finishing mower and and the Kubota B2400. There is also a 20 acre hardwood bush with walking trails that are maintained. We spend 125 to 150 man hours per month there in the summer. In the winter we spend 50-75 man hours consisting of winter pruning, work in the hardwood bush, plowing and maintaining an ice rink.
The 35 acre property has about 9 acres of lawn area maintained weekly with extensive amounts of perennial planting beds were we are responsible for only cultivation and edging (the owners are avid gardeners). There is about a mile of walking trails that we maintain as well (this property is located in a forested area) We spend about 50 man hours a month here.
The 25 acre site consists of a main house, guest house, pool house, indoor and out door pools, a tennis court , a large waterfall/ reflecting pond and a large amount of planting beds. There is about 12 acres maintained weekly along with a large forested area that buffers the road that is "gone through" once a month. We spend about 80 - 90 man hours a month there.
These properties tend to dominate our schedule and we work our other properties around them. They've given us an opportunity to become quite versatile with the amount of unique projects we've done. From digging a 5 1/2 acre 55 ft. deep pond, automated gate systems, lighting systems for the tennis court, water features, pool house construction and a large amount of natural flagstone work. You should see the oohs & aahs we get at homeshows as patrons look over our portfolio.
If you do go for it, make sure you don't put all your eggs in one basket, use it as a base to expand your business. You will have to use some subs but make sure you trust them completely because your clients won't care if they're subs YOU'RE still responsible.
Go for it and have fun !

David Gretzmier
01-16-2003, 05:50 PM
I'd rather plant 300 acers.;)