PDA

View Full Version : Please review my product selling at WW Grainger for fall cleanups

slapon
08-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm going to make this as short as possible. I just signed on with this site as a sponsor so that I can share my product with you. I'm just a small time entrepreneur/inventor that was lucky enough to have WW Grainger see value in my product. I am now an authorized supplier of theirs, which is a great honor of mine to be affiliated with them. You can find my product, the Slap-on attachment, on their website, www.grainger.com, and typing "slap-on" in the search field. It was just added to their product lineup this month, so all of the required and optional accessories for the product have to still be worked out. Its purpose is to assist you in fall cleanups and other cleanups that might require raking or sweeping.

The attachment works on Grainger's 48 and 55 gallon Tough Guy
square receptacles, product #s 5DMV5 and 6YLP6. The item number for ordering the can liners from Grainger is 5XL60. They are 42.5" wide by 48" long, 1.1 mil in thickness, low density, and 56-gallon capacity can liners. You can reference my web page, www.slapon.net, to get a better understanding of the Slap-on attachment's use. A frequent poster here has tried the product and may be willing to share with you his experiences. I'll have to check with him though before I let you know if it's alright.

Please let me know what you think. Your opinions are very important to me and I will respond to every inquiry. I'll also apologize up front that you will probably be seeing a lot of posts from me because it is so important that I share my message about this product. Also, please share this information with anyone that may be interested in the product.

32vld
08-23-2012, 07:27 PM
I can grab an old bungee cord around the top outside of the pail.

Tie a knot in the corner of the bag so it doesn't fall in.

Both are free to me.

But you have a clever idea think it will make you some money from home onwers.

slapon
08-23-2012, 09:55 PM

Both are free to me.

Problem with a bungee cord is that it does not allow the air to release between the wall of the receptacle and the bag itself, causing a ballooning effect. It shuts off your opening. Plus it takes awhile to attach the bungee. Also, you're likely using a round receptacle, which will roll side to side when you set it on its side. Also, there is very little of the lip of a round receptacle that will touch the ground. With Grainger's receptacle you have a 23"x23" opening to plow your debris in. The 23" is approximately the width of the rake prongs, a huge opening. You can fill a 55 gallon bag in 20 seconds and it doesn't take any time at all to set up. You put your bag in the receptacle, slap the attachment over a side and tip the receptacle over on its opposite side. If you look at my website, you will see that I filled 18 fifty five gallon bags in 30 minutes with little effort

knox gsl
08-23-2012, 10:03 PM
I don't want to be negative but most of us don't use plastic bags. If any of us do its just the highschool kids who don't know any better.

slapon
08-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Problem with a bungee cord is that it does not allow the air to release between the wall of the receptacle and the bag itself, causing a ballooning effect. It shuts off your opening. Plus it takes awhile to attach the bungee. Also, you're likely using a round receptacle, which will roll side to side when you set it on its side. Also, there is very little of the lip of a round receptacle that will touch the ground. With Grainger's receptacle you have a 23"x23" opening to plow your debris in. The 23" is approximately the width of the rake prongs, a huge opening. You can fill a 55 gallon bag in 20 seconds and it doesn't take any time at all to set up. You put your bag in the receptacle, slap the attachment over a side and tip the receptacle over on its opposite side. If you look at my website, you will see that I filled 18 fifty five gallon bags in 30 minutes with little effort

I ran out of time before I could add text in my original post, so I had to repost. Sorry. To continue on, Grainger doesn't sell products for individuals. They serve industry, mostly all industry.

By the time you tie your bag tight around the opening of your receptacle and put the bungee cord on, you would likely have filled up a 55 gallon bag and have been moving on to another. You need to understand that it is practically unheard of that a company the size of Grainger would even intertain the thought of taking a phone call from an individual inventor/entrepreneur, like me, let alone to add them as a supplier. There is a reason that they brought my product along, and it's not because it will appeal to some homeowners. They see value in the product and it's evidenced in the price they've placed on it, $31.85. That's the price they determined they should sell it for, not me.

slapon
08-23-2012, 10:15 PM
I don't want to be negative but most of us don't use plastic bags. If any of us do its just the highschool kids who don't know any better.

That is a good point. What do you use?

knox gsl
08-23-2012, 10:22 PM
I mulch 50% or more maybe 20%-30% blow into a natural area on cutomers property and remainder is bagged with mower and then dumped into my trailer then unloaded at the local green waste dump where there can be no plastic bags.

RussellB
08-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Get grip high roller. I have three waste recycling centers within five miles of my home. They take leaves and grass clippings in the bag. drive up and chuck them in the dumpster. Most homes here do not have natural areas to blow the WASTE into. It is collected and hauled off in bags. Now back on topic. Slapon I congratulate you on inventing, manufacturing and marketing your product. Good luck and I hope you make a fortune.

slapon
08-23-2012, 10:39 PM
I mulch 50% or more maybe 20%-30% blow into a natural area on cutomers property and remainder is bagged with mower and then dumped into my trailer then unloaded at the local green waste dump where there can be no plastic bags.

If you're talking about a push mower, aren't you stopping the mower a lot to empty the bagger. If so, isn't that a waste of time, having to stop the mower, detach the bagger, empty, reattach it, and start the mower again. Couldn't you use a mower to and blowers that continuously run to gather leaves and grass in a large pile, then bag them with this product. It just seems to me that that way would be much more efficient.

slapon
08-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Get grip high roller. I have three waste recycling centers within five miles of my home. They take leaves and grass clippings in the bag. drive up and chuck them in the dumpster. Most homes here do not have natural areas to blow the WASTE into. It is collected and hauled off in bags. Now back on topic. Slapon I congratulate you on inventing, manufacturing and marketing your product. Good luck and I hope you make a fortune.

Thanks RussellB. Kind words are always appreciated. It's a tough crowd, and I understand their skepticism. But the product works. I did not get into this to get rich. I've had this idea since I was 18 and only decided to give it a try at age 47 because I didn't want to take the idea to my death bed. I didn't get into this, spending countless hours of work and worry and a spending lot of hard earned money for the purpose of getting rich, because I knew the odds were against me. It's all about the product. Always has been and always will be. I invented the product so that bagging leaves, one of the most arduous jobs in lawn care maintenance, could be made easy.

slapon
08-23-2012, 10:55 PM

Regarding plastic bags, I am partnering with a bio bag company that makes actual biodegradable bags, turning back into the soil from which they came. I know there are some negatives about them, but not so much so if you store and use them the right way. I am hoping that the combination of my product and the bio bags will make a good argument for their use.

knox gsl
08-23-2012, 11:41 PM
I should've worded my post differently. It's is a good product but I think it may be better marketed through a more retail friendly outlet. The first that come to mind would be Ace and True Value stores.
I was giving you how I handle leaves and no I don't bag with a 21 that would take forever.
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
08-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Tell more about the bio bags. That I am interested in if they are priced right. BTW I do think your product is priced accordingly.
Posted via Mobile Device

slapon
08-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Tell more about the bio bags. That I am interested in if they are priced right. BTW I do think your product is priced accordingly.
Posted via Mobile Device

I understand and appreciate your message. My product is priced where Grainger is making a profit, which I have no problem with. I believe that they see the price of my product as being low enough that property management companies wouldn't bat an eye when making the purchase, so long as they see the benefit. The time savings argument and ease argument will be where my product wins or loses the battle.

Regarding the bio bags, how about I send you a private message with the contact information? I do not want to get myself in trouble with those that manage this site. Also, I believe they are only a wholesaler to retail outlets, but, if that is the case, I am sure they could refer you to one of their retailers.

knox gsl
08-23-2012, 11:59 PM
I can see this being used on an industrial or government site by hourly workers which Grainger would sell to.
Posted via Mobile Device

slapon
08-24-2012, 12:09 AM
I can see this being used on an industrial or government site by hourly workers which Grainger would sell to.
Posted via Mobile Device

I hope so. I still have a long way to go before I can claim any success. There are a lot of hurdles I need to overcome. It is essential that my product is bundled with the appropriate receptacles and can liners. Without them, my product is useless, and I do not want any unhappy customers. There's also a messaging issue, because I need to make people familiar with a product they currently have no conception of. This requires that I educate them how it's used. Worst of all, I currently need to do this outreach with a very limited marketing budget. That is why I am going to the professionals here on this board. You do this work everyday, and can easily discern whether a product could benefit you. Also, you stand so much more to gain (I hope) in time savings and effort exerted.

knox gsl
08-24-2012, 12:16 AM
The reason I would be interested in the bio bags is for bush trimming. I am doing more and more of that and already use trash cans to collect trimmings in. Having the bags would be neater than dumping on the trailer and having all that mixed with equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device

slapon
08-24-2012, 12:19 AM
The reason I would be interested in the bio bags is for bush trimming. I am doing more and more of that and already use trash cans to collect trimmings in. Having the bags would be neater than dumping on the trailer and having all that mixed with equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device

I posted their contact information in a private message I sent to you. They're good people to work with. Hope you find what you need.

Smallaxe
08-24-2012, 09:29 AM
You never posted a website url...

slapon
08-24-2012, 10:17 AM

Thanks for your interest. Please tell me what you think or let me know if you have any questions. Here's what you need:

You can find my product, the Slap-on attachment, on WW Grainger's website, www.grainger.com. Type "slap-on" in the search field. It was just added to their product lineup this month, so all of the required and optional accessories for the product have to still be worked out. Its purpose is to assist you in fall cleanups and other cleanups that might require raking or sweeping.

The attachment works on Grainger's 48 and 55 gallon Tough Guy
square receptacles, product #s 5DMV5 and 6YLP6. The item number for ordering the can liners from Grainger is 5XL60. They are 42.5" wide by 48" long, 1.1 mil in thickness, low density, and 56-gallon capacity can liners.

You can reference my web page, www.slapon.net, to get a better understanding of the Slap-on attachment's use.

Duekster
08-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Good Luck

I use trash bags.

How many of these clips do you need. $31 dollars seems a little pricey.

Then again it is a little bigger than expected.

You know what could help is a youtube demo. Edit it to about 30 seconds.

Install it and load a trasch bag with leaves.

Weekend cut easymoney
08-24-2012, 10:37 AM

most companies in Texas use plastic bags-large and small companies-....when we must haul trash off--

paper bags are sorry, in my opinion-

we mostly mulch, but cannot totally get away from it--

up north, they haul off all debris in the backs of their trucks or some other config.--trailer or whatever--thats their thing-

slapon
08-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Good Luck

I use trash bags.

Thanks for asking. You just need one clip. You slide it over one side of a square receptacle and tip it over on its opposite side. The attachment pins the can liner to the top of the receptacle and the bottom lip of the receptacle pins the bag to the ground. The long prongs extend to the base of the receptacle, keeping the bag opening from collapsing to the bottom of the receptacle when it is on its side. The secret is that the remainder of the bag is loose around the lip of the receptacle, allowing air to escape from the air pockets that were created when the bag was placed in the receptacle. You can literally forcibly rake or push leaves into the receptacle's opening and the bag will not release.

Regarding the price, I understand that it's high, but Grainger determined the price they wanted to sell the product for, not me. Maybe look at the price as what they determined to be fair for the value added.

Duekster
08-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Again, I think a short Youtube video will increase your sales. Granger is everywhere and they have counter sales. This means they do sale retail. Youtube could give you a lot of exposure. Just include a link to Granger.

slapon
08-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Good Luck

I use trash bags.

Regarding the price, I understand that it's high, but Grainger determined the price they wanted to sell the product for, not me. Maybe look at the price as what they determined to be fair for the value added.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I missed your second point. I definitely would like to totally revamp my website and add informative videos to help everyone along. The reality is that there is just one individual, me, trying to get all of this done and I need the resources to do it. It'll happen, but its going to take time.

Another problem is that I am in McKinney, Tx (Originally from South Bend, IN), and they do not have a significant leaf problem down here like they do up north, so shooting a meaningful video could be problematic for me. I am open to adding video anyone may shoot using my product here and on my website, though.

slapon
08-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Again, I think a short Youtube video will increase your sales. Granger is everywhere and they have counter sales. This means they do sale retail. Youtube could give you a lot of exposure. Just include a link to Granger.

Duekster, thanks for the suggestion. I do need to be able to shoot a meaningful video. I just addressed this on another post of mine, but the problem is that I am in McKinney, Tx and, as you probably know, we do not have a significant leaf problem down here like they do up north. Also, the leaves fall later here than up north. So shooting a meaningful video could be problematic for me. I've put out an offer for anyone that uses the Slap-on attachment to post it here. That would be a great help.

ELS Landscape
08-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Duekster, thanks for the suggestion. I do need to be able to shoot a meaningful video. I just addressed this on another post of mine, but the problem is that I am in McKinney, Tx and, as you probably know, we do not have a significant leaf problem down here like they do up north. Also, the leaves fall later here than up north. So shooting a meaningful video could be problematic for me. I've put out an offer for anyone that uses the Slap-on attachment to post it here. That would be a great help.

There are places in N Texas that will have leaves soon.
Go to Garden Ridge, they may have some of those paper leaves

slapon
08-24-2012, 11:26 AM
There are places in N Texas that will have leaves soon.
Go to Garden Ridge, they may have some of those paper leaves

If you mean Garden Ridge, the craft store, that's a great idea, and actually I have already done it, and those leaves you see in my video are artificial. I bought a whole lot of artificial leaves, and it cost me a boat load of money, but it was well worth the price. I still have the leaves in a plastic bag stored in my garage ready to go. I would really like to have video of my product actually being used in the field, though. It really means a lot to me to get your feedback. Take care.

32vld
08-24-2012, 02:12 PM

Pin hole, no more vent problems. Same when using a knot.

I also have a large metal close pin type clamps. Again free to me.

Still wish you luck.

slapon
08-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Pin hole, no more vent problems. Same when using a knot.

I also have a large metal close pin type clamps. Again free to me.

Still wish you luck.

I appreciate your wishing me well. Take care.

Weekend cut easymoney
08-24-2012, 06:21 PM

great idea--

Weekend cut easymoney
08-24-2012, 06:29 PM

I suggest going to the GiE Expo in Tenn. this October and getting a small booth--
lots of innovative ideas were there last year--it would help to get some exposure-

For your video or to demonstate at the show....
while in Tenn. or when you drive up to Tenn. for the show, collect some bags of leaves or when you get to Louisville, drive through some neighborhoods and scout around for a bunch of leaves you can bag up and take to the show--

go out to the demo area and shoot your video-

info@gie-expo.com

or you could just go out and find some leaves...near where you live-post a craigs list ad!

slapon
08-24-2012, 07:14 PM
great idea--

I agree. It is a great idea. But I want it done right, which means that I need someone that is in the North do the video. It just is not the right set up down here in TX. Leaves do not start to really fall until late December and January, and there aren't really that many leaves as compared to the more northern states. I will consider any ideas you might have to get the video done, but I also need to be a good steward with what resources I have left. Thanks for your contribution.

slapon
08-24-2012, 07:21 PM
I suggest going to the GiE Expo in Tenn. this October and getting a small booth--
lots of innovative ideas were there last year--it would help to get some exposure-

For your video or to demonstate at the show....
while in Tenn. or when you drive up to Tenn. for the show, collect some bags of leaves or when you get to Louisville, drive through some neighborhoods and scout around for a bunch of leaves you can bag up and take to the show--

go out to the demo area and shoot your video-

info@gie-expo.com

or you could just go out and find some leaves...near where you live-post a craigs list ad!

You know, I've seen the show advertised on the web, and would be a great event to attend, but the financial commitment to rent out a booth and to be able pay for everything associated with getting myself up to the event and the costs associated with setting up the booth is untenable at this time. Perhaps the event is something that I may be able to consider for next year, though, with a little more planning. I may also be able to find another company that currently has a booth to sponsor my product at the event, which would be a lot more affordable. Thanks!

Duekster
08-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Sometimes you can find a decent deal for a professional video production for less than $500.00.

Keep in mind too, there is more than just leaves....

Could be clippings from shrubs. Think dude.

I would make a series of them each with different key words.

slapon
08-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Sometimes you can find a decent deal for a professional video production for less than $500.00.

Keep in mind too, there is more than just leaves....

Could be clippings from shrubs. Think dude.

I would make a series of them each with different key words.

That could be true. The last video I did cost me $1,200. The main reason I want to shoot leaves being picked up in a video is that I'm sure it is something that you professionals can relate to. That is why I want to get the video as realistic as possible to a setting you may encounter at work. For instance, the spokeswoman that I have in my video on www.slapon.net did a great job, but I am not sure you can relate to her raking artificial leaves on a clear day in Dallas, TX.

I would simply prefer a time lapsed video of a massive pile of leaves being bagged, or a side to side comparison of different methods used to bag leaves. I may be able to do that down here, but, for leaves, I would have to wait until January before there are enough leaves on the ground to cut the video. Traveling up north is not going to be possible this Fall. I could consider other settings, though, such as a construction site cleanup, or something similar. Thanks again for your contribution. It means a lot.

Duekster
08-24-2012, 07:59 PM
That could be true. The last video I did cost me $1,200. The main reason I want to shoot leaves being picked up in a video is that I'm sure it is something that you professionals can relate to. That is why I want to get the video as realistic as possible to a setting you may encounter at work. For instance, the spokeswoman that I have in my video on www.slapon.net did a great job, but I am not sure you can relate to her raking artificial leaves on a clear day in Dallas, TX.

I would simply prefer a time lapsed video of a massive pile of leaves being bagged, or a side to side comparison of different methods used to bag leaves. I may be able to do that down here, but, for leaves, I would have to wait until January before there are enough leaves on the ground to cut the video. Traveling up north is not going to be possible this Fall. I could consider other settings, though, such as a construction site cleanup, or something similar. Thanks again for your contribution. It means a lot.

I do not want to be rude but most people will tune out 10 seconds in to that video. They will never see how it works. More action with voice over. If you are going to show that much of the host she should be very hot with less clothes. :laugh:

slapon
08-24-2012, 08:24 PM
I do not want to be rude but most people will tune out 10 seconds in to that video. They will never see how it works. More action with voice over. If you are going to show that much of the host she should be very hot with less clothes. :laugh:

She offered to wear less clothes. I didn't think it was a good idea at the time. Probably a good decision on my part.

How is this for an idea? I agree to provide a lawn care expert that does business up north (IN, IL, PA OH, etc.) a receptacle, the Slap-on attachment and a case of can liners, and he, in turn, creates a nice time lapsed video using the products in his daily work? We can then do a voice over as you suggested.

slapon
08-24-2012, 08:28 PM

Actually, regarding chicks in hot clothes, a guy that works out at the same gym as I suggested that I get some hot chicks in bikinis to do the video. Good idea or not? What do you think?

Weekend cut easymoney
08-25-2012, 01:58 AM
my suggestion would be to call 2-3 large companies in Dallas or closer to your home and ask them if you could haul off 20-30 bags of leaves...

take those bags and dump them on one small area of your lawn and have one guy bagging them back up...20-30 seconds.....this does no have to be a professional video.....just enough to show your product-

slapon
08-25-2012, 02:11 AM
my suggestion would be to call 2-3 large companies in Dallas or closer to your home and ask them if you could haul off 20-30 bags of leaves...

take those bags and dump them on one small area of your lawn and have one guy bagging them back up...20-30 seconds.....this does no have to be a professional video.....just enough to show your product-

That is actually a good idea. I can probably get a nursery that composts leaves to allow me to cut a video on their property. It would also be a good backdrop for the video. Thanks!

Weekend cut easymoney
08-25-2012, 02:18 AM
people down here stalk the recycling bins...i'd stalk the plastic bags around neihgborhoods the night before the pickup--

you have a great idea...you could use waste newspaper to show off your product-

Duekster
08-25-2012, 06:57 AM
That is actually a good idea. I can probably get a nursery that composts leaves to allow me to cut a video on their property. It would also be a good backdrop for the video. Thanks!

This fall you can come out with my crew and do a bagging competition and I will video it.

slapon
08-25-2012, 09:22 AM
This fall you can come out with my crew and do a bagging competition and I will video it.

Awesome. I appreciate it and will take you up on the offer. Send me a private message with your contact information.

slapon
08-25-2012, 09:37 AM
people down here stalk the recycling bins...i'd stalk the plastic bags around neihgborhoods the night before the pickup--

you have a great idea...you could use waste newspaper to show off your product-

If you could help me out, I am not sure what you mean by stalking recycling bins and stalking plastic bags around the neighborhood? It sounds interesting, so I don't want to miss out on the message.

Now, regarding a substitute for leaves when demonstrating my product, I have used wood shavings that are generally used to line animal stalls, and it's worked really well. They're nearly the size and weight of leaves, so the feeling is the same when you sweep or rake them into the container. You can get large bags of the wood shavings at TSC for about $6.50.

Thanks for the complement on the idea for the product. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think will be the crucial consideration that anyone will make in deciding whether to buy this product and how do I address this?

JNyz
08-25-2012, 11:53 AM

Wht didn't you post this?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SLAPON-Trash-Can-Liner-Clip-22N539?cm_sp=IO-_-Home-_-MPC&cm_vc=HPPVZ3

GMLC
08-25-2012, 12:27 PM
In my opinion this will be great for home owners with small properties.

We use leaf loaders(16hp) that fill 10 yard leaf boxes by shreading the leaves. The leaves can be over a foot deep here in NH. It would take days to clean up a property by filling plastic bags. But as someone mentioned this would work great for hedge trimming and pruning clean up.

slapon
08-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Wht didn't you post this?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SLAPON-Trash-Can-Liner-Clip-22N539?cm_sp=IO-_-Home-_-MPC&cm_vc=HPPVZ3

Thanks for doing it for me.

OakNut
08-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Actually, regarding chicks in hot clothes, a guy that works out at the same gym as I suggested that I get some hot chicks in bikinis to do the video. Good idea or not? What do you think?

Yeah... Ummm... title it "Two girls using a Slapon". :eek:

Before you even mentioned it, I tried a Google image search for your product.
I held my breath and peeked through my fingers half expecting to see something else show up.

Folks need to consider all of the possible "negative" associations with names they come up with before they say "Hey, that sounds GREAT!"

slapon
08-25-2012, 01:05 PM
In my opinion this will be great for home owners with small properties.

We use leaf loaders(16hp) that fill 10 yard leaf boxes by shreading the leaves. The leaves can be over a foot deep here in NH. It would take days to clean up a property by filling plastic bags. But as someone mentioned this would work great for hedge trimming and pruning clean up.

You're right, there are other options out there, each with its advantages and disadvantages.

Leaf loaders are great, but they also have their drawbacks. First, they're really expensive, especially relative to the Slap-on attachment and its accessories. Second, you generally need to create a bed that will accommodate the leaves that are being loaded, incurring additional expenses. Third, leaf loaders are mechanical and can break down, causing ongoing maintenance to be more expensive. Fourth, they consume gas, so you have that ongoing expense. Fifth, they are not mobile, so you will often have to bring the leaves to the loader instead of taking the loader to the leaves. You have to add the time that you are putting leaves on a tarp and dragging it to the leaf loader toward the total time required to bag leaves. The attachment with a receptacle can be set up practically anywhere. Sixth, leaf loaders are prone to clog at times, especially when leaves are wet. No problem with the Slap-on device. Actually, leaves are probably easier to bag when wet. Seventh, because the Slap-on attachment is not mechanical, it is easier to operate. It's also easier to store. There could be other advantages others could add.

I am sure there are other disadvantages of the attachment, but I am hoping lawn care professionals will find a place for it with their other tools.

Thanks for your input.

slapon
08-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah... Ummm... title it "Two girls using a Slapon". :eek:

Before you even mentioned it, I tried a Google image search for your product.
I held my breath and peeked through my fingers half expecting to see something else show up.

Folks need to consider all of the possible "negative" associations with names they come up with before they say "Hey, that sounds GREAT!"

That is true. I'll try to keep in mind to keep my future promotions out of the "gutter", but you also can't argue the success "Go Daddy" has had.

You'll see on my web page, www.slapon.net, why I chose Slap-on, but I was also aware of the inferences people could make toward the name at the time I chose it. I needed something that could succinctly convey the advantage of the attachment and be easy to remember. I don't believe it hurts the product's image by the other connotations people have for the word. It might actually work in its favor and help people remember the product's name.

Thanks for participating in the conversation.

Richard Martin
08-25-2012, 02:55 PM
You'll see on my web page, www.slapon.net, why I chose Slap-on,

All I see on your page is a red screen. What's supposed to be there?

slapon
08-25-2012, 03:43 PM

Richard,

I'm sorry, but my site is based on Adobe flash, so some people may just see a red screen if they don't have the most recent Adobe reader or if they're working from a Mac computer. One of the first things I need to change when I revamp the website is to get it off of Adobe so everyone can see it.

Duekster
08-25-2012, 03:49 PM
So you are saying he is seeing the Slap Off website

slapon
08-25-2012, 03:57 PM
So you are saying he is seeing the Slap Off website

That could be it. It is one big drawback I wish I had known before making a decision to base my website on Adobe flash. A full red screen is a pretty color though.

Duekster
08-25-2012, 03:59 PM
That could be it. It is one big drawback I wish I had known before making a decision to base my website on Adobe flash. A full red screen is a pretty color though.

Flash has a ton of drawbacks including poor indexing by web crawler. You may want a non-flash version of the site.

slapon
08-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Flash has a ton of drawbacks including poor indexing by web crawler. You may want a non-flash version of the site.

Well, that explans another issue I've had. Tons of crawlers and no results in my web page getting any preferential treatment with searches. I'm getting off of flash as soon as I can. Everything takes time though

Richard Martin
08-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Well, that explans another issue I've had. Tons of crawlers and no results in my web page getting any preferential treatment with searches. I'm getting off of flash as soon as I can. Everything takes time though

How do the search engine know that your site is there? I have 13,000 some odd posts here and every one of them has my link to my lawn service website. Lawnsite is indexed by the big engines every few hours. And every few hours they're seeing my web site being linked. I've never formally turned my website's address into any search engines and yet they all know it's there.

People didn't really think that I posted that link for Lawnsite's users reference did they? :laugh:

slapon
08-25-2012, 05:33 PM
How do the search engine know that your site is there? I have 13,000 some odd posts here and every one of them has my link to my lawn service website. Lawnsite is indexed by the big engines every few hours. And every few hours they're seeing my web site being linked. I've never formally turned my website's address into any search engines and yet they all know it's there.

People didn't really think that I posted that link for Lawnsite's users reference did they? :laugh:

At least I can bring up your web site. Sorry for your difficulty bringing up mine. Your site looks good, by the way.

Duekster
08-25-2012, 07:07 PM

If you can not develop one quickly, just get a HTML template up asap.

you can get those cheap.

You can keep the flash site for now... just change your home page over for now, then work on it.

slapon
08-25-2012, 07:32 PM
If you can not develop one quickly, just get a HTML template up asap.

you can get those cheap.

You can keep the flash site for now... just change your home page over for now, then work on it.

How about going through a professional web page developer? There's www.americaneagle.com and www.teamwebusa.com. TeamWebUSA gave me a quote of $1,500 for a five page layout.

slapon
08-25-2012, 11:08 PM
I copied the post below from the other forum because I'm trying to keep all of the discussion regarding the Slap-on attachment on a single thread.

"I don't undertand its value. I can take a big bag and place my two shoes on the bag holding it to the ground and my hand to hold it open. The key is to utilize the wind to blow the bag open. So what else do I need?

First, you're bending over and paddling leaves in the loosely held bag, not very good on the back. Not the case with the Slap-on product. You sweep or rake the leaves into the bin like you would a dust pan, except this receptacle has a 23" square opening to collect the debris. Second, you only have one free hand available to paddle the leaves in the bag (the second hand is required to hold the bag). With the Slap-on attachment, no paddling of leaves with a single hand is necessary. Instead, you have a leaf rake or other appropriate tool available to forcibly sweep or push leaves or other debris into a bag. That's why you're able to fill a 55 gallon bag in approximately 20 seconds with the Slap-on attachment.

Third, because your feet need to remain in place to hold the bottom of the bag flush to the ground, you've lost all mobility to move around your area to collect other leaves or debris to bring over to where you're attempting to bag them. Not the case with the Slap-on attachment with the receptacle. You're free to move about to gather sufficient quantities of leaves or debris to continue your bagging. Fourth, as you indicated, because the bag is freely held, the wind and other factors could interfere with your ability to keep the bag sufficiently open. You're left fighting with the elements. That is not the case with the Slap-on attachment and the receptacle. The bag is enclosed and secure along the complete wall of the receptacle. That means you have an opening that is 23" square that goes approximately 30" deep to the base of the receptacle. That's quite a large collection bin.

Fifth, because your bag is loosely held, it is difficult to compact the leaves in the bag to get the bag's full value in capacity. That is because the bag tends to give where there is least resistance Not the case with the Slap-on attachment and square receptacle. Because the bag is enclosed by a solid walled receptacle, the bag has nowhere to give. That maximizes your ability to compact the leaves. I'm sure others could name some other advantages, but those are a few I thought of off of the top of my head."

mowerbrad
08-25-2012, 11:13 PM
I was lucky enough for Eric (slapon) to ask me to try out his product for him last year, about this time of year actually. I was a little skeptical at first, not really seeing too much value in his product. But I figured I didn't have much to lose just to test out his product for him and see how it worked and give him a litle feedback. After using on and off for te past year, I have definately found value in the product and think he has come up with quite a unique invention.

When I do clean-ups, I have way too much material/debris (leaves and grass) that for the most part it just wouldn't be effiicient for me to dump my bagger into plastic bags and then throw them on the trailer, only to empty them out of the bags later on...I'd have way too many bags and I use a compost site at a family member's farm. However I really like the slap on for when doing detail work such as when trimming bushed and cleaning out leaves from flower beds. I don't mind using the plastic bags then since it would just be a couple bags to empty at the end of the day and it's way easier than getting the mower off the trailer and blowing the debris into the lawn and then mowing it all up. It also works great in the shop/garage, keeps the bag on the can and not dropping down into the can.

I had been talking back and forth with Eric for a while about compostable bags/liners that would fit my trash can and slap-on attachment. He was pretty quick to do a little research and find me some bags recently that are fully compostable. I have yet to order them but they appear to be exactly what I would need. Since I don't use too many bags, the price wouldn't be an issue, but it definitely would be something I would use.

There are surely some uses for this product and I can see many people finding a use for it. But like every product, it may not work for everyone but there is surely a market for it.

OakNut
08-25-2012, 11:23 PM
I still have no idea what this product looks like in use. Are there any pics anywhere?
You'd think the OP would have them plastered all over this thread.

The flash site doesn't work and so far all I know is that it's some sort of clippy thingie that goes on some sort of "special" can to hold a bag in place.

How large are the bags/can?

slapon
08-26-2012, 02:05 AM
I still have no idea what this product looks like in use. Are there any pics anywhere?
You'd think the OP would have them plastered all over this thread.

The flash site doesn't work and so far all I know is that it's some sort of clippy thingie that goes on some sort of "special" can to hold a bag in place.

How large are the bags/can?

The attachment works on Grainger's 48 and 55 gallon Tough Guy square receptacles, product #s 5DMV5 and 6YLP6. The item number for ordering the can liners from Grainger is 5XL60. They are 42.5" wide by 48" long, 1.1 mil in thickness, low density, and 56-gallon capacity can liners.

slapon
08-26-2012, 02:18 AM
Well, I tried to upload the pictures. I chose my files and clicked on upload, but it didn't take. I'm obviously not doing something right, so I'll have to get some help from one of you.

GMLC
08-26-2012, 02:49 PM
You're right, there are other options out there, each with its advantages and disadvantages.

Leaf loaders are great, but they also have their drawbacks. First, they're really expensive, especially relative to the Slap-on attachment and its accessories. Second, you generally need to create a bed that will accommodate the leaves that are being loaded, incurring additional expenses. Third, leaf loaders are mechanical and can break down, causing ongoing maintenance to be more expensive. Fourth, they consume gas, so you have that ongoing expense. Fifth, they are not mobile, so you will often have to bring the leaves to the loader instead of taking the loader to the leaves. You have to add the time that you are putting leaves on a tarp and dragging it to the leaf loader toward the total time required to bag leaves. The attachment with a receptacle can be set up practically anywhere. Sixth, leaf loaders are prone to clog at times, especially when leaves are wet. No problem with the Slap-on device. Actually, leaves are probably easier to bag when wet. Seventh, because the Slap-on attachment is not mechanical, it is easier to operate. It's also easier to store. There could be other advantages others could add.

I am sure there are other disadvantages of the attachment, but I am hoping lawn care professionals will find a place for it with their other tools.

Thanks for your input.

Ill stick with my leaf loader and 10 yard leaf box. I havent used a rake or tarp in 15 years.
Blow all the leaves in a pile, suck them up and go. Like I said your product would be great for home owners with small properties but us commercial guys have to move many yards of leaves off big properties. Time is money and Im not going spends days raking leaves into plastic bags at each property.
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
08-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Ill stick with my leaf loader and 10 yard leaf box. I havent used a rake or tarp in 15 years.
Blow all the leaves in a pile, suck them up and go. Like I said your product would be great for home owners with small properties but us commercial guys have to move many yards of leaves off big properties. Time is money and Im not going spends days raking leaves into plastic bags at each property.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm like you in that there is too much volume in leaves, but I see that bush trimming is an area where it would work for me.

grassman177
08-26-2012, 04:56 PM
i cant get your website to come up at all, just a blank red screen, so i cant tell if this is something i would like or not, seems like a good idea(like my run on sentence?).

also, if they fit the containers that you say, they are like 300 bucks, so no way . give me some better links to see exactly what you are talking about here.

thanks

slapon
08-26-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm like you in that there is too much volume in leaves, but I see that bush trimming is an area where it would work for me.

i cant get your website to come up at all, just a blank red screen, so i cant tell if this is something i would like or not, seems like a good idea(like my run on sentence?).

also, if they fit the containers that you say, they are like 300 bucks, so no way . give me some better links to see exactly what you are talking about here.

thanks

Sorry for the multi-quote. I realize this is a problem with my web site for some. It's based on Adobe flash, and, if you don't have the most recent Adobe reader, or if you're working from a Mac, you might not be able to see the pages. I'm getting that changed shortly. I recently tried posting pictures and it didn't work for me. If someone could help me understand how to post pictures, I'll post some pictures here to help you out.

I'm suggesting the 48 gallon Tough Guy square receptacle from Grainger, product #5DMV5. It sells for around $52. Shipping is free if your order is large enough, which I believe it will be.

slapon
08-26-2012, 05:08 PM

You're both right. There's a place for both of the products. knox gsl, its good to see you've rejoined the conversation. Thanks.

knox gsl
08-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Sorry for the multi-quote. I realize this is a problem with my web site for some. It's based on Adobe flash, and, if you don't have the most recent Adobe reader, or if you're working from a Mac, you might not be able to see the pages. I'm getting that changed shortly. I recently tried posting pictures and it didn't work for me. If someone could help me understand how to post pictures, I'll post some pictures here to help you out.

I'm suggesting the 48 gallon Tough Guy square receptacle from Grainger, product #5DMV5. It sells for around $52. Shipping is free if your order is large enough, which I believe it will be.

Here is a pic.255741
Also can be seen at http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SLAPON-Trash-Can-Liner-Clip-22N539?cm_sp=IO-_-Home-_-MPC&cm_vc=HPPVZ3

slapon
08-26-2012, 05:12 PM

Here is a pic.255741
Also can be seen at http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SLAPON-Trash-Can-Liner-Clip-22N539?cm_sp=IO-_-Home-_-MPC&cm_vc=HPPVZ3

I appreciate that, but I've also got some pictures of the product in use that will be helpful for these guys.

slapon
08-26-2012, 05:30 PM
It appears that I can't upload pictures because of a "security token missing", whatever that is. I'll try posting pictures from another computer tomorrow and see how it works.

Richard Martin
08-26-2012, 05:51 PM
It appears that I can't upload pictures because of a "security token missing", whatever that is.

Log off of Lawnsite. Clear your browser's cache and cookies. If you have more than 1 browser on your computer (ie: Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.) then make sure you do this on all browsers. Restart your computer. Log onto Lawnsite again. If that doesn't fix it then notify the administrators. It is a Lawnsite issue at that point, not an issue with your computer.

grassmasterswilson
08-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Pics would be nice or even a link to a YouTube video of this in action.
Posted via Mobile Device

OakNut
08-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Looking at this from a homeowner's point of view, I wouldn't see the value in spending thirty some dollars on something that requires me to also buy an expensive trash can (and bags, I presume) to use it with instead of what I already have on hand.

Granted, not all homeowners are as "frugal" as I am, but still.

slapon
08-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Log off of Lawnsite. Clear your browser's cache and cookies. If you have more than 1 browser on your computer (ie: Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.) then make sure you do this on all browsers. Restart your computer. Log onto Lawnsite again. If that doesn't fix it then notify the administrators. It is a Lawnsite issue at that point, not an issue with your computer.

I will try it out and see how it goes. Thanks.

slapon
08-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Looking at this from a homeowner's point of view, I wouldn't see the value in spending thirty some dollars on something that requires me to also buy an expensive trash can (and bags, I presume) to use it with instead of what I already have on hand.

Granted, not all homeowners are as "frugal" as I am, but still.

I understand. Each of us places value in different things. There is a time saving component and an ease of use component from the use of the products that each of us will weigh against their added costs. If the tradeoff is favorable for time efficiency and saved effort, they will purchase the products, and if it isn't favorable, they won't. As they say, "Time is money", and everyone places a value on their time, some more than others.

slapon
08-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Pics would be nice or even a link to a YouTube video of this in action.
Posted via Mobile Device

Great idea. Here's a link to a Youtube video I forgot I had out there. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1v-nRfEr80

Hope it helps.

Richard Martin
08-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Great idea. Here's a link to a Youtube video I forgot I had out there. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1v-nRfEr80

Hope it helps.

Nice leaves. :laugh:

slapon
08-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Nice leaves. :laugh:

What do you expect for a summer day in Dallas? I had to get the video done and time was of the essence. If I had to wait for leaves to fall, the video wouldn't have been shot until January or February of the following year. I am glad it was good for a few laughs for you though. Oh, I still have the leaves in a bag in my garage just waiting for the next video to be cut (just kidding). Take care.

grassmasterswilson
08-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Wouldn't a bungi cord do the same thing? All you are trying to do is keep the bag around the can.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
08-26-2012, 08:30 PM
What do you expect for a summer day in Dallas? I had to get the video done and time was of the essence. If I had to wait for leaves to fall, the video wouldn't have been shot until January or February of the following year. I am glad it was good for a few laughs for you though. Oh, I still have the leaves in a bag in my garage just waiting for the next video to be cut (just kidding). Take care.

What a dummy. You could go to Ashville to demo as a business expense. :walking:

OakNut
08-26-2012, 09:27 PM

Hope it helps.

Holy crap. Her Slapon is HUGE!

:D

Thanks for the link. It all makes more sense (how it works) now.

Richard Martin
08-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Holy crap. Her Slapon is HUGE!

Oh my. That is just wrong..... :rolleyes: :cool2:

OakNut
08-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Wouldn't a bungi cord do the same thing? All you are trying to do is keep the bag around the can.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's just part of it. It also goes INSIDE the can to hold the bag against the side (which is the "top" once you lay it on it's side), holding the bag "open".
A bungee can't do that.

It's essentially a huge, plastic paper clip.

Richard Martin
08-26-2012, 09:35 PM

How about a huge (11") metal one for $14.95?

http://www.greatbigstuff.com/prodpics/11paperclip_1.jpg

slapon
08-26-2012, 09:51 PM
That's just part of it. It also goes INSIDE the can to hold the bag against the side (which is the "top" once you lay it on it's side), holding the bag "open".
A bungee can't do that.

That's neat that you made that inference, because that's pretty much how it works. It keeps the liner and wall of the receptacle together. No separation means that the liner stays in place. Thanks for adding that important point.

slapon
08-26-2012, 09:55 PM
How about a huge (11") metal one for $14.95?

http://www.greatbigstuff.com/prodpics/11paperclip_1.jpg

That's an actual clip? Wow! (I can see it's a real product, but just Wow!) Seriously though, I tried to design the Slap-on attachment so that it could be easily engaged and disengaged from the receptacle.

slapon
08-26-2012, 10:02 PM
What a dummy. You could go to Ashville to demo as a business expense. :walking:

Where in the heck is Ashville?

slapon
08-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Here is a poster that I recently completed.

Duekster
08-27-2012, 09:55 AM
I am slightly intrigued by the use of the word creator in third party on your website.

Weekend cut easymoney
08-27-2012, 10:08 AM
--25 years ago, we had a device that was much like a plastic trash can with the bottom cut out and sliced along the side so it could expand--we placed it in a large bag and it held the trash can open while we piled in the leaves-

over the years we found that stuffing the leaves into a trash can and putting a bag over the top and dumping the leaves into a large bag to be the easiest-

slapon
08-27-2012, 10:19 AM
First picture shows the Slap-on attachment attached to the side of the receptacle.

Second picture shows receptacle laid on its side with the Slap-on attached. Notice the air pockets that exist between the bag and the inner receptacle wall. That air has to have a way to escape when debris is being forced into the opening. The attachment secures the bag to the top of the receptacle while keeping the bag loosely held around the lip of the receptacle's opening so that the air can escape. Otherwise, if you tried to tighten the can liner around the lip of the receptacle, you would create a ballooning effect, cutting off your opening to rake debris in.

The third picture shows leaves raked into the 23" square opening of the receptacle. Notice that the bag stays in place and the air has released, causing the liner to be flush around the complete inner wall of the receptacle.
Visualize the ease of being able to rake leave into a receptacle without any can liner involved. Using the Slap-on attachment gives the same effect. The bag doesn't move.

The fourth picture shows the receptacle in an upright position. Generally, what you would do is forcibly plow or rake leaves into the receptacle so that it is nearly full. You would then take your rake or other tool that you are using and scoop up a bunch more leaves toward the opening of the receptacle. You then use the rake as a lid of sorts as you tilt the receptacle upright, preventing any leaves from falling out. You now have a bunch more leaves that currently extend beyond the capacity of the receptacle. You then take one hand and place it over the can liner on the opposite side from where it is secured by the Slap-on attachment and use your free hand to push the excess leaves into the bag. All of this can be done in about 20 seconds. It takes about 3 or 4 swoops of the rake to fill the 55+ gallon can liner.

Richard Martin
08-27-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm guessing your token ring problem went away?

Richard Martin
08-27-2012, 11:25 AM
For those that bag leaves this is an excellent tool. Unfortunately, I don't even own a leaf rake, and have zero desire to have one. My former partner and I (19 years ago) did 2 leaf cleanup jobs with rakes and bags. I haven't touched a leaf rake or leaf bag since.

slapon
08-27-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm guessing your token ring problem went away?

No, I just used a different computer.

slapon
08-27-2012, 11:45 AM
For those that bag leaves this is an excellent tool. Unfortunately, I don't even own a leaf rake, and have zero desire to have one. My former partner and I (19 years ago) did 2 leaf cleanup jobs with rakes and bags. I haven't touched a leaf rake or leaf bag since.

Yeah, it becomes more difficult with each year that we age. That is for sure.

ed2hess
08-27-2012, 10:27 PM
First picture shows the Slap-on attachment attached to the side of the receptacle.

Second picture shows receptacle laid on its side with the Slap-on attached. Notice the air pockets that exist between the bag and the inner receptacle wall. That air has to have a way to escape when debris is being forced into the opening. The attachment secures the bag to the top of the receptacle while keeping the bag loosely held around the lip of the receptacle's opening so that the air can escape. Otherwise, if you tried to tighten the can liner around the lip of the receptacle, you would create a ballooning effect, cutting off your opening to rake debris in.

The third picture shows leaves raked into the 23" square opening of the receptacle. Notice that the bag stays in place and the air has released, causing the liner to be flush around the complete inner wall of the receptacle.
Visualize the ease of being able to rake leave into a receptacle without any can liner involved. Using the Slap-on attachment gives the same effect. The bag doesn't move.

The fourth picture shows the receptacle in an upright position. Generally, what you would do is forcibly plow or rake leaves into the receptacle so that it is nearly full. You would then take your rake or other tool that you are using and scoop up a bunch more leaves toward the opening of the receptacle. You then use the rake as a lid of sorts as you tilt the receptacle upright, preventing any leaves from falling out. You now have a bunch more leaves that currently extend beyond the capacity of the receptacle. You then take one hand and place it over the can liner on the opposite side from where it is secured by the Slap-on attachment and use your free hand to push the excess leaves into the bag. All of this can be done in about 20 seconds. It takes about 3 or 4 swoops of the rake to fill the 55+ gallon can liner.
Is there a chance that I could modify that thing a little bit to be able to have a device to put trash in on a ztr machine? Is it possible to cut off the legs and get it to set up about 12". Presently I roll the top down on a mulch bag and it stands a little bit. I want to be able to use my trash picker without stopping. And second will this work with big bags....90gal I think is what we use.

slapon
08-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Is there a chance that I could modify that thing a little bit to be able to have a device to put trash in on a ztr machine? Is it possible to cut off the legs and get it to set up about 12". Presently I roll the top down on a mulch bag and it stands a little bit. I want to be able to use my trash picker without stopping. And second will this work with big bags....90gal I think is what we use.

The legs are made of plastic, so it'd pretty easy to cut. I'd suggest you take a close look at the picture of the Slap-on attachment on Grainger's website. You can zoom in on the picture if you'd like. It's yours to do whatever you'd like once you buy it. Also, want to mention that the crossmember is approx 15" wide, so make sure it isn't too wide to work on your setup. Good luck!

herler
08-28-2012, 05:59 PM
I am surprised at the level of miss-education, people so uninformed they apparently haven't a clue that this industry isn't just agricultural but it's also into recycling and anyone who hasn't figured it out better start getting with the program, we are choking the earth with garbage and anyone thinking I would be so wasteful as to use a petrol-based product into which I am going to insert organic waste is got to be joking.

That not only totally goes against the entire industry, it isn't green at all, it pollutes and it also takes longer ...

Put the crap inside bags I just have to separate it later, by dumping the leaves back out...
Read: We do NOT put organic waste inside a petrol-based product!
NO!

Leaves and branches and grass all decompose.
The plastic does not!

I am even more surprised that they would allow plant-based waste and petrol-based products to be deposited at the same area in the landfill, it makes no sense because landfills are part of the recycling industry, why would they not care?

As for myself, I use tarps?
It's clean, effective, and the waste goes to the mulch yard where they make soils and mulches out of it.

slapon
08-28-2012, 06:27 PM
I am surprised at the level of miss-education, people so uninformed they apparently haven't a clue that this industry isn't just agricultural but it's also into recycling and anyone who hasn't figured it out better start getting with the program, we are choking the earth with garbage and anyone thinking I would be so wasteful as to use a petrol-based product into which I am going to insert organic waste is got to be joking.

That not only totally goes against the entire industry, it isn't green at all, it pollutes and it also takes longer ...

Put the crap inside bags I just have to separate it later, by dumping the leaves back out...
NO!

The plastic does not!

I am even more surprised that they would allow plant-based waste and petrol-based products to be deposited at the same area in the landfill, it makes no sense because landfills are part of the recycling industry, why would they not care?

It's clean, effective, and the waste goes to the mulch yard where they make soils and mulches out of it.

I understand, but it is a free country and people will choose as they may. For those that are green, there are alternatives that will still allow people to use the Slap-on attachment and square waste receptacle to bag leaves. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am partnering with a company that makes biodegradable bags suitable for my product. They are made of starches and will turn into soil when left exposed to the elements. It is all about choice, and I encourage anyone that is interested in biodegradable bags to send me a private email requesting the contact information for the company that offers this product, and I will gladly give it to you.

People may also reuse plastic bags to gather leaves. Just gather the leaves in the plastic bags like you normally would, transport them to where they are to be dumped, and release them from the plastic bags, keeping the bags to fill once again. Actually, I would encourage this because it saves the lawn maintenance professional from the unnecessary, additional cost of having to pay for more bags.

OakNut
08-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

OakNut
08-28-2012, 07:23 PM
I thought of this thread today while trying to gather up hedge trimming debris in a round can on a concrete driveway.

LOL

How about a "ramp" to slap on the side on the ground?
There's always that little pile of stuff that doesnt want to go in the can easily.
Something that helps the small stuff get swept in would be cool.
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
08-28-2012, 08:39 PM

NO!

The plastic does not!

Lighten up there is a limit on the green thing you can always buy those little bitte paper bags and stuff you stuff in those. Tarps yea right:dizzy: YOu simply empty the bags at the mulch grinding place then you take the bags home and put them in the recycle.

ztman
08-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Lighten up there is a limit on the green thing you can always buy those little bitte paper bags and stuff you stuff in those. Tarps yea right:dizzy: YOu simply empty the bags at the mulch grinding place then you take the bags home and put them in the recycle.

Thats why I burn all my plastic, dont want to fill up the landfill

Pressedun
08-28-2012, 09:46 PM

Both are free to me.

I think home owners would love this product as well as those that run businesses in city areas as it's harder to dispose of things.

I just throw everything into my dump truck and take it to a dump where the grass is left to break down and wood/leaves/cardboard or anything of that sort is burned.

ed2hess
08-28-2012, 10:36 PM
I had nine bags packed so tight that I could hardly pick them up to get them out to the street. The only problem is I had to throw out any pieces that could rip the bags...

I do llike your product and since I am headed up to grainger to get some brass punches I will buy one.

slapon
08-28-2012, 10:57 PM
I had nine bags packed so tight that I could hardly pick them up to get them out to the street. The only problem is I had to throw out any pieces that could rip the bags...

I do llike your product and since I am headed up to grainger to get some brass punches I will buy one.

Thanks so much for doing that and let me know how everyting goes.

slapon
08-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Thats why I burn all my plastic, dont want to fill up the landfill

Nothing like rubbing salt in a wound. Bee..have.

slapon
08-28-2012, 11:03 PM
I think home owners would love this product as well as those that run businesses in city areas as it's harder to dispose of things.

I just throw everything into my dump truck and take it to a dump where the grass is left to break down and wood/leaves/cardboard or anything of that sort is burned.

Well, can't argue with that. That is a good way to do it.

slapon
08-28-2012, 11:06 PM
I thought of this thread today while trying to gather up hedge trimming debris in a round can on a concrete driveway.

LOL

How about a "ramp" to slap on the side on the ground?
There's always that little pile of stuff that doesnt want to go in the can easily.
Something that helps the small stuff get swept in would be cool.
Posted via Mobile Device

I understand. Perhaps you could get one of those dust pans that have the extending arm. That way you'd at least avoid having to bend down.

Pietro
08-29-2012, 07:35 AM
I dont see how this is better than tarping. If I have a 20X40 tarp, 4 guys with blowers........it will work faster. If I bagged leaves we would be losing $.

slapon
08-29-2012, 10:34 AM
I dont see how this is better than tarping. If I have a 20X40 tarp, 4 guys with blowers........it will work faster. If I bagged leaves we would be losing $.

Tarps are fine. People have used them for quite awhile. The issue with tarps is that eventually those leaves on the tarp will have to be either picked up or dragged to an immediately accessible area where they can be dumped, such as a woods or other unkept area.

Not everyone has an accessible area to dump their leaves, so they have to pick them up and carry them off. Unless you have a leaf vac, it is difficult to get leaves collected in a bed of a truck to carry them off. That is why a lot of people continue to bag leaves. They have to have an easy way to collect leaves so that they can throw them in the bed of their truck and haul them off.

If you use a leaf vac, good for you, but there are also disadvantages of leaf vacs that we have already discussed in this thread, primarily their high cost to acquire, run and maintain. There are also costs associated with modifying the bed of the truck that the leaves are blown into.

slapon
08-30-2012, 08:01 PM
The Slap-on website, www.slapon.net has been updated and includes links for the Slap-on attachment and its required accessories to WW Grainger's web pages for the products. Thanks, Eric

ed2hess
08-30-2012, 09:01 PM

So you never have anything that you bag during a normal mow day:dizzy: . Our trucks come in with several bags of stuff every day. What do you do with hedge trimmings. And all the blowing creats noise and dust and cant do that in city. And what happens with the tarp full of leaves? When you get to next job them you get new tarp?

OakNut
08-30-2012, 09:48 PM
The Slap-on website, www.slapon.net has been updated and includes links for the Slap-on attachment and its required accessories to WW Grainger's web pages for the products. Thanks, Eric

Stupid, red page...

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

FYI I just updated Flash yesterday.

slapon
08-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Stupid, red page...

FYI I just updated Flash yesterday.

I'm sorry about that. This was a quick updating of the pages, which was not too difficult. I'll try to find out by the middle of next week what the timeline is to get my web pages off of flash. Hang in there. Thanks, Eric

slapon
08-30-2012, 11:01 PM
So you never have anything that you bag during a normal mow day:dizzy: . Our trucks come in with several bags of stuff every day. What do you do with hedge trimmings. And all the blowing creats noise and dust and cant do that in city. And what happens with the tarp full of leaves? When you get to next job them you get new tarp?

ed2hess, did you make your way to Grainger today, and, if so, what's the verdict on Slap-on attachment. Tell all, because at least one inquiring mind wants to know. Thanks.

slapon
08-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Also want to mention that the Slap-on ad banner is now on lawnsite.com. They move fast.

Pietro
09-01-2012, 08:18 AM

If we bag leaves were doing JUST leaves. The tarp will get pulled into the open trailer, dump leaves and go again...OR the we dump the leaves at the curb for pickup. We dont have city work, so no dust/noise issues. Hedge clippings get tarped also, or we use the triple bagger on the Z to suck it up, then dump em in the woods.

Maybe ill buy one of these just to see how it works!

slapon
09-01-2012, 10:33 AM
If we bag leaves were doing JUST leaves. The tarp will get pulled into the open trailer, dump leaves and go again...OR the we dump the leaves at the curb for pickup. We dont have city work, so no dust/noise issues. Hedge clippings get tarped also, or we use the triple bagger on the Z to suck it up, then dump em in the woods.

Maybe ill buy one of these just to see how it works!

Pietro, thanks for the feedback, and for giving consideration to whether the Slap-on attachment may help you with your daily work. That is all one can ask. Have a great weekend.

ELS Landscape
09-02-2012, 05:42 PM
I think the timing is right to promote this product. Good luck.

Is there a trash can sold by granger that works best with this unit?

slapon
09-02-2012, 09:29 PM
I think the timing is right to promote this product. Good luck.

Is there a trash can sold by granger that works best with this unit?

I hope the timing is right.

You know, the Slap-on attachment will work on either the Grainger Tough Guy 48 or 55 gallon square receptacles, but I think you are going to be better off going with the 48 gallon receptacle. The 48 gallon receptacle weighs six pounds less, 10 pnds vs 16 pnds for the 55 gallon receptacle, which is all the less weight you will have to carry around, and the 48 gallon receptacle is about $30 less expensive. The 55 gallon receptacle does have a 25" opening vs the 23 1/2 opening of the 48 gallon receptacle, but the 23 1/2" should be about the same width as your rake. You will still be able to fill the 55 gallon bag with either receptacle, so why not go with the lighter weight and less expensive receptacle. Thanks for the good question and let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Almost forgot, the product number for the 48 gallon square receptacle is 5DMV5, or, if you decide to go with the 55 gallon receptacle, its number is 6ylp6. Have a great Labor Day.-- Take care, Eric

slapon
09-17-2012, 11:38 AM

Richard,

My website is now based on html. I hope you can now see it. Let me know if you cannot. Thanks, Eric

Richard Martin
09-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Richard,

My website is now based on html. I hope you can now see it. Let me know if you cannot. Thanks, Eric

It's working fine Eric. Much better. :waving:

slapon
09-17-2012, 12:22 PM
It's working fine Eric. Much better. :waving:

Yeah! Thanks for letting me know. Take care.

OakNut
09-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Tip:

Make it EASY for people to find your product.

You just mentioned the new website, yet there is no linky.

I'm not interested in going back thru the thread to look for it - if you know what I mean.

slapon
09-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Tip:

Make it EASY for people to find your product.

You just mentioned the new website, yet there is no linky.

I'm not interested in going back thru the thread to look for it - if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean. I gotta remember that. Thanks, Eric

ELS Landscape
09-18-2012, 09:07 PM
I know what you mean. I gotta remember that. Thanks, Eric

Most of us have seen the website too. The advice was to change it to HTML vs Flash so search engines can index it better.

slapon
09-25-2012, 03:42 PM

NO!

The plastic does not!

I understand, but it is a free country and people will choose as they may. For those that are green, there are alternatives that will still allow people to use the Slap-on attachment and square waste receptacle to bag leaves. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am partnering with a company that makes biodegradable bags suitable for my product. They are made of starches and will turn into soil when left exposed to the elements. It is all about choice, and I encourage anyone that is interested in biodegradable bags to send me a private email requesting the contact information for the company that offers this product, and I will gladly give it to you.

People may also reuse plastic bags to gather leaves. Just gather the leaves in the plastic bags like you normally would, transport them to where they are to be dumped, and release them from the plastic bags, keeping the bags to fill once again. Actually, I would encourage this because it saves the lawn maintenance professional from the unnecessary, additional cost of having to pay for more bags.

For those of you interested, I have a link on the www.slapon.net website that links to the compostable bag company that I am partnering with. It is at the bottom, right hand corner of the Home page. Compostable bags are different than the plastic bags in that the compostable bags are biodegradable and will turn back to the earth from which they came.

OakNut
09-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Don't worry. Someone will come along soon enough to b!tch about THAT too.

Some people can't be pleased. ;)

Also, I hate you. I was raking debris into a round can the other day and wished I had a can with flat sides. You're gonna end up costing me money! LOL

slapon
09-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Don't worry. Someone will come along soon enough to b!tch about THAT too.

Some people can't be pleased. ;)

Also, I hate you. I was raking debris into a round can the other day and wished I had a can with flat sides. You're gonna end up costing me money! LOL

Good hearing you again. Hope all is well. Regarding your first point, all I can do is try. Regarding your second point, what are you waiting for? Time to put down the money. Honestly, I am hoping that those that buy the product share their experience with others on this forum, where I am hoping their experience is positive. Take care, Eric

slapon
10-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Good hearing from you again. Hope all is well. Regarding your first point, all I can do is try. Regarding your second point, what are you waiting for? Time to put down the money. Honestly, I am hoping that those that buy the product share their experience with others on this forum, where I am hoping their experience is positive. Take care, Eric

Oaknut, I hope you know I was kidding regarding having you buy the Slap-on attachment. I have thought about it a long while and realize what I was trying to communicate may not have gone over the way I intended, so I apologize if that is the case. I would be honored if you or anyone were to buy the Slap-on attachment, but in no way would I expect anyone to do so. Anyway, thanks for your contributions to this thread and hope things are going well. Sincerely, Eric

OakNut
10-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Oaknut, I hope you know I was kidding regarding having you buy the Slap-on attachment. I have thought about it a long while and realize what I was trying to communicate may not have gone over the way I intended, so I apologize if that is the case. I would be honored if you or anyone were to buy the Slap-on attachment, but in no way would I expect anyone to do so. Anyway, thanks for your contributions to this thread and hope things are going well. Sincerely, Eric

Funny you should post! I was just thinking that you should be bumping this thread since it's "leaf time".

No problem - I didn't take it the wrong way at all.

Another funny thing - I was going to suggest (unless I already have and forgot) that you consider an attachment that goes on the "ground side" that acts as a "dust pan", or "funnel" to allow faster/easier loading of leaves into the can.
Then tonight in Lowes, I saw a new trash can with a "dust pan" lip. The lip snaps on/off and can be used to secure a trash bag - although, it doesn't secure it to the "top" as your device does.
It was $20, but only 33 gal. in size.

kawasaki guy
10-18-2012, 08:17 AM
That is a good point. What do you use?

these things

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100119163/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=chem-tainer&storeId=10051

If you could make a Slap-on for these things, that would be great!!!

I will have to get one if there are a lot of leaves this year.

slapon
10-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Funny you should post! I was just thinking that you should be bumping this thread since it's "leaf time".

No problem - I didn't take it the wrong way at all.

Another funny thing - I was going to suggest (unless I already have and forgot) that you consider an attachment that goes on the "ground side" that acts as a "dust pan", or "funnel" to allow faster/easier loading of leaves into the can.
Then tonight in Lowes, I saw a new trash can with a "dust pan" lip. The lip snaps on/off and can be used to secure a trash bag - although, it doesn't secure it to the "top" as your device does.
It was $20, but only 33 gal. in size.

I know the product well. It is the "Trashpan". I actually spoke with the owner of the company. I shipped him my product and he shipped me his for each of us to examine. He liked my product a lot and it works really well on his container. His product has the same problem you will have with any container that has a can liner. The liner collapses inside of the container without the Slap-on attachment. He introduced my product as an accessory to his with Lowes, but they were unwilling at this time to carry it. Thanks for getting back with me.--Eric

slapon
10-18-2012, 11:07 AM
these things

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100119163/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=chem-tainer&storeId=10051

If you could make a Slap-on for these things, that would be great!!!

I will have to get one if there are a lot of leaves this year.

I know what you mean, and I may actually end up making a Slap-on attachment for round receptacles one day, but square receptacles have so many natural advantages over round receptacles if you are intent on setting the container on its side to be used as a collection bin. With a round receptacle, only a small part of the receptacle opening lies flat with the ground, which makes it more difficult to sweep or rake debris into it. That is why dustpans are made flat and not round. These receptacles being sold at Grainger have a 23 1/2" square opening, which is the perfect size to rake debris into. These are quality, commercial grade containers, similar in durability to the Brute receptacles sold by Rubbermaid. You may give it a try and see if you like the square receptacle.

Darryl G
10-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Personally I can't see myself using the Slap-on device.

However, it does look to me like one of the more useful leaf bagging aids...better than all these funnels and plastic hands and such. I appreciate that the product literature does not hype it up to be something it isn't the way some products do, and I also think that "Mr. Slapon" is presenting both his product and himself very well here, taking questions and criticism without getting all personal about it.

I can see myself recommending this as a leaf cleanup solution to those I know that do their leaves themselves without much for powered equipment, and will do so should the opportunity arise. Usually I wouldn't do that without trying it myself, but it seems to present a relatively cost effective and simple solution for those "self baggers".

slapon
10-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Personally I can't see myself using the Slap-on device.

However, it does look to me like one of the more useful leaf bagging aids...better than all these funnels and plastic hands and such. I appreciate that the product literature does not hype it up to be something it isn't the way some products do, and I also think that "Mr. Slapon" is presenting both his product and himself very well here, taking questions and criticism without getting all personal about it.

I can see myself recommending this as a leaf cleanup solution to those I know that do their leaves themselves without much for powered equipment, and will do so should the opportunity arise. Usually I wouldn't do that without trying it myself, but it seems to present a relatively cost effective and simple solution for those "self baggers".

Darryl,

Thank you for your words. I am trying to be a good corporate sponsor of this forum, so it means a lot that I am not offending anyone or that I not seem to be too overbearing. I actually enjoy the feedback and being able to have a dialog with everyone regarding the product. It helps me greatly to understand everyone’s impression of the product, regardless of whether it is good or bad.

I know there are a lot of other niche products in the marketplace, and not many of them work really well. It gives me an extra hurdle to overcome in conveying the benefits of the Slap-on attachment because everyone approaches these products with a degree of skepticism.

As you referenced in another thread, I am very fortunate to have Grainger carry the Slap-on attachment, because they are known for offering quality products and I am grateful they see value in mine. I want the Slap-on attachment to become a truly viable, commercial product for the lawn care marketplace, but it will take some time.

Also, thanks for your willingness to recommend the product, because, as you are probably aware being a businessman, it is difficult when you are first starting out. Any help is much appreciated.

kawasaki guy
10-18-2012, 12:57 PM
I know what you mean, and I may actually end up making a Slap-on attachment for round receptacles one day, but square receptacles have so many natural advantages over round receptacles if you are intent on setting the container on its side to be used as a collection bin. With a round receptacle, only a small part of the receptacle opening lies flat with the ground, which makes it more difficult to sweep or rake debris into it. That is why dustpans are made flat and not round. These receptacles being sold at Grainger have a 23 1/2" square opening, which is the perfect size to rake debris into. These are quality, commercial grade containers, similar in durability to the Brute receptacles sold by Rubbermaid. You may give it a try and see if you like the square receptacle.

I know what you mean, but us pros like our barrels. Very durable, and very big.

I will think about giving the slap-on/square can a try this fall if I get a lot of work/leaves.

slapon
10-18-2012, 01:20 PM
I know what you mean, but us pros like our barrels. Very durable, and very big.

I will think about giving the slap-on/square can a try this fall if I get a lot of work/leaves.

I cannot deny that you are right about everyone buying round containers, but I just do not get it. I had a hardware vendor demonstrating my product at trade shows set up for retailers for over a year, and the feedback they always gave me is that the Slap-on product works great, but none of the retailers would consider carrying square, commercial grade waste containers, like the ones Grainger sells. I am referring to the square waste containers that have no attached lid or wheels. And, he was right. None of the hardware store or large box retailers carries a square receptacle.

I am just not getting why that is the case. Square waste containers are more efficient in their use of space (13% more efficient). A Square container will not roll side to side like a round container will when turned over on its side and, as I mentioned above, a square container has much more of its opening that lies flush with the ground than a round container.

Maybe you could provide some insight why that is the case. Is it because everyone just gravitates towards what they are familiar with or is there something that I am missing.

Also, thanks for considering going the route of acquiring a square receptacle and the Slap-on product. I hope you give it a chance. Thanks, Eric

kawasaki guy
10-21-2012, 04:47 PM
I will have to look into this for my birthady!

slapon
10-21-2012, 08:01 PM
I will have to look into this for my birthady!

Kawasaki guy, I hope you do get it for your birthday, and, if so, l would really be interested in your sharing your experience using it. The Slap-on attachment should work as advertised, and I want to make sure you are happy with it. I appreciate your consideration. Thanks and take care, Eric.

Darryl G
10-21-2012, 08:12 PM
I had a hard time believing that Home Depot did not carry large square containers so I did a search. Is there some reason your product wouldn't work with these?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100644095/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=square+trash&storeId=10051

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202793588/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=square+trash&storeId=10051

kawasaki guy
10-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Kawasaki guy, I hope you do get it for your birthday, and, if so, l would really be interested in your sharing your experience using it. The Slap-on attachment should work as advertised, and I want to make sure you are happy with it. I appreciate your consideration. Thanks and take care, Eric.
thanks for the kind words!
have a nice day!

slapon
10-21-2012, 09:50 PM
I had a hard time believing that Home Depot did not carry large square containers so I did a search. Is there some reason your product wouldn't work with these?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100644095/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=square+trash&storeId=10051

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202793588/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=square+trash&storeId=10051

Darryl, It is interesting that you found those waste containers. The first one, the 35 gallon container, I am familiar with. It has a really nice design and looks good, but I believe it generally is intended for the indoors and may not hold up well outdoors. The second container, the 50 gallon container, is new to me and may be new to Home Depot as well. It makes for a good comparison with the Grainger waste containers though. You'll notice that both of the Tough Guy containers, the 48 gallon and 55 gallon containers, are less expensive and built to be much more durable. Do the comparison yourself. The link for the 55 gallon container is http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=6ylp6&op=search&Ntt=6ylp6&N=0&GlobalSearch=true&sst=subset and the link for the 48 gallon container is http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=5dmv5&op=search&Ntt=5dmv5&N=0&GlobalSearch=true&sst=subset. Both are built for commercial use and are very durable. The 55 gallon is priced at $81.20 and the 48 gallon container is $51.75.

With all of that being said, the Slap-on attachment should work well on any large square container that is at least 28" high and has a 20+" opening. So, it probably would work just as well on the 50 gallon container. I am not so sure that the 35 gallon container is long enough for the Slap-on attachment, but it would work if so.

I am really impressed you did the research. I will have to go into Home Depot and see if they carry the 50 gallon receptacle in stock and become familiar with the manufacturer because I am not familiar with the brand name. Thanks for including it.

BPS##
10-21-2012, 09:54 PM
I picked up all these leaves without a single barrel or square container. Didn't even have any on the truck.

Blew every thing out into the open and picked up with the mower. I figure there is at least 75% reduction in volume this way.

slapon
10-21-2012, 09:57 PM
thanks for the kind words!
have a nice day!

I hope you do too!

slapon
10-21-2012, 10:05 PM
I picked up all these leaves without a single barrel or square container. Didn't even have any on the truck.

Blew every thing out into the open and picked up with the mower. I figure there is at least 75% reduction in volume this way.

That is pretty impressive. You must have a really big bagger for it to be efficient for you to do. I have also seen a lot of people empty their mower bag on the ground right where it became full and then come back around later to pick it all up after the mowing was completed. How did you get your mower clippings into the trailer bed?

BPS##
10-21-2012, 10:24 PM
That is pretty impressive. You must have a really big bagger for it to be efficient for you to do. I have also seen a lot of people empty their mower bag on the ground right where it became full and then come back around later to pick it all up after the mowing was completed. How did you get your mower clippings into the trailer bed?

I'm using a Walker 48" deck and their large hopper.
At around 75% reduction one box covers a lot of territory.

Usually I have a canvas bag thats made just for the walker box, today it some how got left at home and we dumped on a tarp and then into the trailer.

Darryl G
10-22-2012, 01:19 AM
Darryl, It is interesting that you found those waste containers. The first one, the 35 gallon container, I am familiar with. It has a really nice design and looks good, but I believe it generally is intended for the indoors and may not hold up well outdoors. The second container, the 50 gallon container, is new to me and may be new to Home Depot as well. It makes for a good comparison with the Grainger waste containers though. You'll notice that both of the Tough Guy containers, the 48 gallon and 55 gallon containers, are less expensive and built to be much more durable. Do the comparison yourself. The link for the 55 gallon container is http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=6ylp6&op=search&Ntt=6ylp6&N=0&GlobalSearch=true&sst=subset and the link for the 48 gallon container is http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=5dmv5&op=search&Ntt=5dmv5&N=0&GlobalSearch=true&sst=subset. Both are built for commercial use and are very durable. The 55 gallon is priced at $81.20 and the 48 gallon container is $51.75.

With all of that being said, the Slap-on attachment should work well on any large square container that is at least 28" high and has a 20+" opening. So, it probably would work just as well on the 50 gallon container. I am not so sure that the 35 gallon container is long enough for the Slap-on attachment, but it would work if so.

I am really impressed you did the research. I will have to go into Home Depot and see if they carry the 50 gallon receptacle in stock and become familiar with the manufacturer because I am not familiar with the brand name. Thanks for including it.

The only thing on that Home Depot 50 gallon container is the lip isn't smooth...not sure how your device would work with that. I agree with what you said about pricing and such. I don't know how much shipping would be from Graingers though...I'd expect it would be a bit...oversized item?

In all honesty I'm not considered buying the containers or your tool. The only time I containerize leaves in trash bags is when I'm out mowing early in the leaf season and I need a little more capacity than the 2 green barrels I carry. I then empty my bagger into a can with a 55 gallon liner in it. Now that the leaves are really starting to pile up I run my mower in my dump trailer and just dump right into the front of that. I don't generally bag bulk leaves.

One suggestion for everyone...if you are using a rake to fill a container on it's side with leaves, try using one of those rakes you have with the handle broken in half instead, after you whittle and smooth any sharp edges of course. I find it less clumsy than using a full length rake. I use mine as a sort of landscaper broom and dustpan along with a plastic grain shovel for collecting twig and nut piles, etc.

unit28
10-22-2012, 08:19 AM
You'll notice that both of the Tough Guy containers, the 48 gallon and 55 gallon containers, are less expensive and built to be much more durable. Do the comparison yourself. The link for the 55 gallon container is http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=6ylp6&op=search&Ntt=6ylp6&N=0&GlobalSearch=true&sst=subset and the link for the 48 gallon container is http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=5dmv5&op=search&Ntt=5dmv5&N=0&GlobalSearch=true&sst=subset. Both are built for commercial use and are very durable.

With all of that being said, the Slap-on attachment should work well on any large square container that is at least 28" high and has a 20+" opening. So, it probably would work just as well on the 50 gallon container.

I will have to go into Home Depot and see if they carry the 50 gallon receptacle in stock and become familiar with the manufacturer because I am not familiar with the brand name. Thanks for including it.

I wouldn't bother with HD. It seems to me that you've already found a superior
product/recepticle . Price point and durability from Grainger hasn't been matched.

I've worked in plastic manufacturing for over 35 years years and I very well know what goes into the manufacturing process. Strict QC is key. and only the top of the line plastics will ever be made into a better companies products. We made plastic for Cadillac, plus the other 3. We also made plastic for textron and igloo.

You have to figure where we've been/ At an earlier industrial age we all came from metal and wood, even all trash cans were metal .:)

There's many places for your product to be effecient and effective,
not just landscape management so keep at it

slapon
10-22-2012, 10:39 AM
product/recepticle . Price point and durability from Grainger hasn't been matched.

I've worked in plastic manufacturing for over 35 years years and I very well know what goes into the manufacturing process. Strict QC is key. and only the top of the line plastics will ever be made into a better companies products. We made plastic for Cadillac, plus the other 3. We also made plastic for textron and igloo.

You have to figure where we've been/ At an earlier industrial age we all came from metal and wood, even all trash cans were metal .:)

You have an interesting background. Just a side note, the gentleman that created the CAD file for my product worked at igloo as a product engineer prior to venturing in business on his own. He made sure that we created the Slap-on attachment to last and fit well on the commercial grade square waste containers. I think, in part, that may be why Grainger decided to carry the product. I have learned a lot about plastics since beginning this venture. If you do not mind me asking, in what capacity were you involved with plastics?

slapon
10-22-2012, 10:45 AM
The only thing on that Home Depot 50 gallon container is the lip isn't smooth...not sure how your device would work with that. I agree with what you said about pricing and such. I don't know how much shipping would be from Graingers though...I'd expect it would be a bit...oversized item?

In all honesty I'm not considered buying the containers or your tool. The only time I containerize leaves in trash bags is when I'm out mowing early in the leaf season and I need a little more capacity than the 2 green barrels I carry. I then empty my bagger into a can with a 55 gallon liner in it. Now that the leaves are really starting to pile up I run my mower in my dump trailer and just dump right into the front of that. I don't generally bag bulk leaves.

One suggestion for everyone...if you are using a rake to fill a container on it's side with leaves, try using one of those rakes you have with the handle broken in half instead, after you whittle and smooth any sharp edges of course. I find it less clumsy than using a full length rake. I use mine as a sort of landscaper broom and dustpan along with a plastic grain shovel for collecting twig and nut piles, etc.

That is alright about not buying my tool or the waste containers. It may not be for everyone, so no problem. I appreciate your contributions to this thread. Regarding shipping, I believe that shipping may be free if your purchase a minimum amount, which may be around $50. I am not completely of the amount, but it should be close to that. Also, there is a convenience component of having the product shipped to you rather than having to go out and pick it up on your own.

slapon
10-22-2012, 03:26 PM

Unit 28, I apologize that I skipped over everything else you wrote in typing my initial response.

Regarding Grainger, I have a deep sense of loyalty toward them as they were the first company that put full faith in me and the Slap-on attachment by allowing me to become a supplier of theirs. I am greatly honored to be associated with them and would not do anything to jeopardize my relationship with them.

Regarding other places for the Slap-on attachment to be effective, I am also hoping that is the case. I believe Grainger is actively marketing the product to government agencies at the state and federal levels, to national health care organizations and other large purchasing entities. Really, the attachment may be appropriate for any task that requires bagging large amount of debris that can be raked or swept. Let me know if you can think of other large markets that I should focus on.

Last, thanks for your encouraging words. They say patience is a virtue. Well, I have had a lot of opportunities to perfect patience as a virtue. Nothing happens overnight as I would like, but I just keep plugging along. Thanks again, Eric

kawasaki guy
10-31-2012, 10:16 PM
how are sales going?

slapon
10-31-2012, 11:58 PM
how are sales going?

I appreciate your asking how sales are going. I am surely not ready to retire, but progress is being made. The product manager at Grainger prepared me before this whole process began not to expect too much in sales until my product is in their annual catalog, so I am hopeful.

I do not at all think that increased sales from my product being listed in their catalog has anything to do with exposure, because anyone familiar with the catalog knows that it is too large to offer any significant exposure for a single product, particularly for a product hardly anyone is familiar with. I think, instead, that it may have more to do with the timing of the catalogís release. I believe, or hope, that the catalogís release may coincide with when federal, state and municipal governments have their budgets approved. Graingerís largest customers are the federal, state and municipal governments, and I believe they be making a dedicated effort to reach them. It is the only reason I can think of.

Recently, I have had some success in approaching damage restoration businesses, such as Servpro, Servicemaster and others, letting them know about the product. I figure that raking or sweeping the nasty debris that they handle into a 55 gallon collection bin is largely preferable than having to fill individual 33 gallon construction bags, where one person holds the bag open and another shovel the debris in. It should also be a lot faster bagging the debris by being able to forcibly rake the material into the container, figuring it only takes about 20 seconds to fill the bag. I figure with a lot of cleanup that is going to be necessary on the East Coast after all of the flooding that my product could be useful in helping people get their debris bagged.

Please do me a favor and let me know of other markets that the Slap-on attachment may be useful for and tell everyone about the Slap-on attachment that may have an interest in it. Thanks much, Eric

kawasaki guy
11-01-2012, 08:01 AM
I appreciate your asking how sales are going. I am surely not ready to retire, but progress is being made. The product manager at Grainger prepared me before this whole process began not to expect too much in sales until my product is in their annual catalog, so I am hopeful.

I do not at all think that increased sales from my product being listed in their catalog has anything to do with exposure, because anyone familiar with the catalog knows that it is too large to offer any significant exposure for a single product, particularly for a product hardly anyone is familiar with. I think, instead, that it may have more to do with the timing of the catalog’s release. I believe, or hope, that the catalog’s release may coincide with when federal, state and municipal governments have their budgets approved. Grainger’s largest customers are the federal, state and municipal governments, and I believe they be making a dedicated effort to reach them. It is the only reason I can think of.

Recently, I have had some success in approaching damage restoration businesses, such as Servpro, Servicemaster and others, letting them know about the product. I figure that raking or sweeping the nasty debris that they handle into a 55 gallon collection bin is largely preferable than having to fill individual 33 gallon construction bags, where one person holds the bag open and another shovel the debris in. It should also be a lot faster bagging the debris by being able to forcibly rake the material into the container, figuring it only takes about 20 seconds to fill the bag. I figure with a lot of cleanup that is going to be necessary on the East Coast after all of the flooding that my product could be useful in helping people get their debris bagged.

Please do me a favor and let me know of other markets that the Slap-on attachment may be useful for and tell everyone about the Slap-on attachment that may have an interest in it. Thanks much, Eric

Try marketing to construction! They have lots of derbies at a job site that they have to pick up by hand, and would be easier to rake.

Also, make a round slapon too! Sales will really increase I bet, and no one really uses square cans in my opinion. (yes, I do know the advantages of the square)

Good Luck!!

slapon
11-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Try marketing to construction! They have lots of derbies at a job site that they have to pick up by hand, and would be easier to rake.

Also, make a round slapon too! Sales will really increase I bet, and no one really uses square cans in my opinion. (yes, I do know the advantages of the square)

Good Luck!!

I like both of your suggestions, and I think approaching construction companies is a really good consideration. I am just trying to figure out how I can effectively reach out to them.

Regarding a round Slap-on, it is something that I may consider in the future, but the tooling is incredibly expensive and it will likely take a year or two to get the tooling designed and manufactured before I could start production of the product. That is just not something I can aford to do at this time, but there is a need for the product.

Thanks for getting back with me.

kawasaki guy
11-01-2012, 10:01 PM
I like both of your suggestions, and I think approaching construction companies is a really good consideration. I am just trying to figure out how I can effectively reach out to them.

Regarding a round Slap-on, it is something that I may consider in the future, but the tooling is incredibly expensive and it will likely take a year or two to get the tooling designed and manufactured before I could start production of the product. That is just not something I can aford to do at this time, but there is a need for the product.

Thanks for getting back with me.

Good luck with figuring out how to market it to them!

Your welcome for getting back with you.

Good luck!!!

kawasaki guy
12-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Any lick marketing to construction

jrs.landscaping
12-21-2012, 12:54 PM
The problem with construction is they usually move the material with a trash can to a large 30 yd dumpster so they don't use a bag. I'd also try marketing towards housekeeping/janitorial companies and disaster response companies who go through a lot of bags in a day.