PDA

View Full Version : Wheel loader cycle times

Krafty
08-23-2012, 05:55 PM
We have a job comming up that is out of our normal. Basic jist of it is loading out 230 yards of spoils mixture of dirt and gravel. We will be hauling out in semi end dumps. Cooridnating truck will not be a problem so we should not hardly have any down time waiting on trucks. We are considering renting a 444k JD wheel loader to get the loading done. Considering this becasue of the speed and the loading height. I have no experience bidding a job with a wheel loader. Questions is with one wheel loader what can I expect to be able to load an hour?? The pile will be right next to trucks.

Next question the area we are excavating is approximatley 15,500 sq ft about 4" deep. If I send my two skids in the day before will the wheel loader be able to keep up with them or will they be able to keep up with the wheel loader. Excavation will be right next to pile. I know what my skids are capable of but lost on the wheel loader lol?? I know alot of this is dependent on operators but anybody have an opinion on this or a better idea I am not thinking of??

stuvecorp
08-23-2012, 06:31 PM
I'd say go bigger on the loader, more like 624/644 size. I would think with an okay operator you could keep up, how many trucks and what would be the load cycle times?

Dirtman2007
08-23-2012, 07:13 PM
We have a job comming up that is out of our normal. Basic jist of it is loading out 230 yards of spoils mixture of dirt and gravel. We will be hauling out in semi end dumps. Cooridnating truck will not be a problem so we should not hardly have any down time waiting on trucks. We are considering renting a 444k JD wheel loader to get the loading done. Considering this becasue of the speed and the loading height. I have no experience bidding a job with a wheel loader. Questions is with one wheel loader what can I expect to be able to load an hour?? The pile will be right next to trucks.

Next question the area we are excavating is approximatley 15,500 sq ft about 4" deep. If I send my two skids in the day before will the wheel loader be able to keep up with them or will they be able to keep up with the wheel loader. Excavation will be right next to pile. I know what my skids are capable of but lost on the wheel loader lol?? I know alot of this is dependent on operators but anybody have an opinion on this or a better idea I am not thinking of??

you think thats enough dirt to even justify a wheel loader? I mean its only going to be 15 quad loads of dirt.

why not just load it with your skid steers? build a little 2' ramp and go to town. wouldn't take long at all with 2 loading from each side of the truck.

seems like a waste of money to rent a loader to load 15 loads of dirt but thats just me:cool2:

Krafty
08-23-2012, 07:26 PM
you think thats enough dirt to even justify a wheel loader? I mean its only going to be 15 quad loads of dirt.

why not just load it with your skid steers? build a little 2' ramp and go to town. wouldn't take long at all with 2 loading from each side of the truck.

seems like a waste of money to rent a loader to load 15 loads of dirt but thats just me:cool2:

I thought about just building a ramp. We are using end dumps because that is what we have. I was planning on having 2 end dumps there with about a 30 min round trip haul time. As s**ty as farming is going this year if we had to put a third on it, that would not be an issue.

Have you loaded your quad with your skid, how much of a nightmare is it?? I will have a t300 and a case 85xt on site. Last time we loaded a tri axle it was a nightmare, however we did not have a ramp.

SP Landscaping
08-23-2012, 07:28 PM

My thoughts exactly

KTM
08-23-2012, 07:31 PM
If truck sides are built up like around here you will want a ramp with a 444, when i know Iam production loading with my 721 i like a small ramp.

Dirtman2007
08-23-2012, 08:08 PM
I thought about just building a ramp. We are using end dumps because that is what we have. I was planning on having 2 end dumps there with about a 30 min round trip haul time. As s**ty as farming is going this year if we had to put a third on it, that would not be an issue.

Have you loaded your quad with your skid, how much of a nightmare is it?? I will have a t300 and a case 85xt on site. Last time we loaded a tri axle it was a nightmare, however we did not have a ramp.

takes about 5 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMIYsTmZGGc

Dountman
08-23-2012, 09:22 PM
No thanks loading dump trailers with a 444. Go bigger.

Cornell
08-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Couldn't justify rental a loader like Chris said. Maybe if you had to load 1000 yards or more I would get a 721 or 821 Case if it were me.

ma71t
08-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Couldn't justify rental a loader like Chris said. Maybe if you had to load 1000 yards or more I would get a 721 or 821 Case if it were me.

Roger that, have loaded plenty of triaxles with my s250, i feel like i could probably blow out that whole pile in a day

Krafty
08-24-2012, 07:52 AM
I think some of you are forgetting that it is a day of loading at most... Chris we must be a little more greedy up here our quads are alot taller then yours. The turck in your vid is about the same height as our tandems and tri axles. I will try and snap a pic today if I see one...

zabmasonry
08-24-2012, 08:32 AM
if you wanted a two or three or even 5 minute load cycle a 624 sized machine might be warranted. But since you'll have a 15 or 30 minutes per load you don't need a loader. Although one might consider the "herd" effect among truck driver's and that's effect on the day's production.

TomG
08-24-2012, 08:27 PM
My T300 will load our Tri-Axle or any Tri-Axle for that matter with out a ramp. But I realize end dumps are generally a little taller. Just make a ramp like Dirtman said if you have too. No need for a loader, especially for only 230 yards.

ksss
08-24-2012, 09:21 PM
230 yards is nothing. I would not consider a wheel loader either. Our trucks are not as tall as the ones you guys use out East but I would ramp accordingly (and or dig down where the trucks are going to be loaded). The 85XT has good dump height. I have loaded countless side dump loads with my 95XT and 465s. Sides I am sure are not as tall but as mentioned that can be delt with. Why give your money for a rental when you can keep it in your pocket.

john365
08-25-2012, 09:06 PM
I moved about 500 yards of material with a 980g and two d350 off road trucks. In 30 mins

GQLL
08-25-2012, 10:14 PM
I moved about 500 yards of material with a 980g and two d350 off road trucks. In 30 mins

There is no comparison between a 980 8 yard bucket and a ctl 1 yard bucket. I have loaded centipedes with a t300 it take longer but it will keep money in your pocket vs having to pay for the rental

excav8ter
08-26-2012, 10:39 AM
If it were my job.....I would use my Kobelco 135 excavator with my 60" bucket. Just start at one end and us the it to dig to grade and load the trucks.....have one CTL follow up and sub grade.