PDA

View Full Version : Got my Cheetah in FINALLY...small review

slowleak1
08-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Finally got my Cheetah. Got it with the 36 hp big block, and 61" velocity plus deck (standard deck)

Cut some 3 week growth (st. aug, super thick) at about 3/4 full forward speed and she didn't skip a beat, or a single blade of grass for that matter. Deck was set at 3.5"

Cut some 2 week old st aug mixed with random weeds, same results, but at full forward speed. Both scenarios were in low gear.

Tried to cut some thick random weeds in HI gear (16 mph) and it actually cut better than my old Hustler fasttrak super duty did at full speed, but it did leave a couple stragglers here and there, although I definitely DO NOT reccomend cutting in HI. I was also instructed to NOT cut in high when I picked up the mower, and that HI is strictly for transport purposes.

The power it has is absolutely amazing, I think I might have bogged it 2 times at most cutting as fast as it would let me. Cutting at 16 mph is just STUPID fast, and not very nerve wracking. I didnt get a chance to cut pure grass at full speed in HI, but it cut extremely well on the stuff I did cut.

In low, it will cut at full speed with no hesitation, and no missed blades of grass.

I will be installing a mulching kit next week and report back how it does.

I will also get some pictures up later for all you picture whores ;)

GMLC
08-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Congrats! Cant wait for pics.
Posted via Mobile Device

weaver
08-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Subscribed

PLS-Tx
08-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Congrats!! !! How do you like the ride?
Posted via Mobile Device

weaver
08-24-2012, 04:58 PM
What's the price difference between the 61. Turf tiger and 61 cheetah? I think a 61 Tt with 27 kohler runs 10.5 here. Not sure about cheetah..

puppypaws
08-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Finally got my Cheetah. Got it with the 36 hp big block, and 61" velocity plus deck (standard deck)

Cut some 3 week growth (st. aug, super thick) at about 3/4 full forward speed and she didn't skip a beat, or a single blade of grass for that matter. Deck was set at 3.5"

Cut some 2 week old st aug mixed with random weeds, same results, but at full forward speed. Both scenarios were in low gear.

Tried to cut some thick random weeds in HI gear (16 mph) and it actually cut better than my old Hustler fasttrak super duty did at full speed, but it did leave a couple stragglers here and there, although I definitely DO NOT reccomend cutting in HI. I was also instructed to NOT cut in high when I picked up the mower, and that HI is strictly for transport purposes.

The power it has is absolutely amazing, I think I might have bogged it 2 times at most cutting as fast as it would let me. Cutting at 16 mph is just STUPID fast, and not very nerve wracking. I didnt get a chance to cut pure grass at full speed in HI, but it cut extremely well on the stuff I did cut.

In low, it will cut at full speed with no hesitation, and no missed blades of grass.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your Cheetah experience.

I think you have the best big block mower engine built today, and yes, contrary to popular belief, there are areas that can be cut at 15 mph. When I say 15, I'm taking into consideration the blade an grass drag pulling at least 1 mph off its 16 mph top speed. The only thing that would make the engine better would be a closed loop fuel injection system, and I understand this is being worked on.

slowleak1
08-24-2012, 06:04 PM
What's the price difference between the 61. Turf tiger and 61 cheetah? I think a 61 Tt with 27 kohler runs 10.5 here. Not sure about cheetah..

The TT was $200 more and came with a 35 big block versus the 36 that the cheetah has. Only reason for the power difference is the cheetah uses a vertical shaft and the TT uses a horizontal shaft.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your Cheetah experience.

I think you have the best big block mower engine built today, and yes, contrary to popular belief, there are areas that can be cut at 15 mph. When I say 15, I'm taking into consideration the blade an grass drag pulling at least 1 mph off its 16 mph top speed. The only thing that would make the engine better would be a closed loop fuel injection system, and I understand this is being worked on.

Im looking forward to actually getting to use it! Lol. Too much rain lately. And I honestly don't think I will ever be able to open it up and cut at anything above 12ish, the terrain is too rough for one, and the high speed uses up a ton of power. Time will tell though. Hopefully tuesday or wednesday I will be able to get out to my big property (the reason I bought it) to open it up and try it out, but that is pending on what this storm that is brewing decides to do :cry:

TLS
08-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Don't know what brand ZTR your coming from, but how is the edge of deck visibility with the gas tanks?

PLS-Tx
08-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Don't know what brand ZTR your coming from, but how is the edge of deck visibility with the gas tanks?

We demoed one and didn't see any difference, we use Ferris and have also used Dixie Chopper.

RSK Property Maintenance
08-26-2012, 11:32 PM

congrats on the cheetah, every time i cut my bigger lawns and the customer is watching they say its quite entertaining to see me cut the lawn on then new machine vs. my 48" tiger cub i had, they can't believe how fast it is and how nice it cuts at the speeds i'm going, not that my tiger cub with the advantage deck didn't cut great but the cheetah is animal on all my accounts even the pickiest customers i have in million dollar houses comment on how perfect the lawn looks when i'm and how much attention to detail i have compared to anyone else they have used in the past. i really wanna demo a 72 and see what kinda times i can shave off each lawn right now. anyways congrats and have fun with it.

slowleak1
09-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Little update, been busy ever since Isaac.

I had a cop friend radar the cheetah in both high and low. In low, scag says it does 12, it did under 10 (radar gun doesn't pick up anything under 10). In high, scag says it should do 16, and it did 14. I am dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow so they can make it go the speed it is supposed to.

As for cut quality, so far so good. I will also be getting the mulching plate installed tomorrow, so we will see what happens.

Lots of people ask about the visibility of the deck...well...that all depends on how you have the seat adjusted. It tilts back for enough to make you want to fall asleep. it also slides forwards and backwards a good ways, so I dont see any reason for anyone to have any issues at all seeing the edge of the deck. I will update more as I get some more seat time.

TLS
09-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Your RPM's are likely low. If in fact the gun is calibrated for such slow speeds.

That'd be like checking the PSI of a basketball with a 200 PSI truck tire gauge.

Is this on level ground, and on asphalt, not grass.
Posted via Mobile Device

slowleak1
09-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Your RPM's are likely low. If in fact the gun is calibrated for such slow speeds.

That'd be like checking the PSI of a basketball with a 200 PSI truck tire gauge.

Is this on level ground, and on asphalt, not grass.
Posted via Mobile Device

We verified the gun with 2 other trucks, and also checked it against another gun.

Flat concrete, zero wind. It is a long private driveway, probably about 2,000 feet long. Completely level. Also PTO was not engaged.

I will post back with more tomorrow.

orangemower
09-10-2012, 08:49 AM
We verified the gun with 2 other trucks, and also checked it against another gun.

Flat concrete, zero wind. It is a long private driveway, probably about 2,000 feet long. Completely level. Also PTO was not engaged.

Hey, don't forget the pics. :)

puppypaws
09-10-2012, 09:04 AM

I will be very interested in knowing if you dealer gets more speed from your Cheetah. The only Cheetah I know of that was checked accurately, because of being done by a certified land surveyor, did meet the advertised 16 mph speed.

The police radar should be very accurate as well, so it will be interesting to see if your speed is changed by the dealer.

I just spoke with my nephew which is a NC Highway Patrol Officer, he told me their radar was accurate to within 1 mph, not as accurate as I would have thought.

All_Toro_4ME
09-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Great thread.

subscribing...

slowleak1
09-10-2012, 07:52 PM
I will be very interested in knowing if you dealer gets more speed from your Cheetah. The only Cheetah I know of that was checked accurately, because of being done by a certified land surveyor, did meet the advertised 16 mph speed.

The police radar should be very accurate as well, so it will be interesting to see if your speed is changed by the dealer.

I just spoke with my nephew which is a NC Highway Patrol Officer, he told me their radar was accurate to within 1 mph, not as accurate as I would have thought.

I called the dealer today, since I didnt have time to bring it in, just to ask some questions.

I was informed that per scag, the term "up to" means it doesnt HAVE to do 12/16, but just somewhere close. I was told they will look at it but not necesarily do anything about it. I ahve a friend with a tachometer, and tomorrow we are going to check rpm's.

I am still extremely pleased with the cut quality. It doesnt chop up the grass very well but it cuts it very quickly and cleanly and spreads it very evenly. I now have about 6 hours on the machine and the blades still look brand new, and there is minimal clumping on the underside of the deck.

I also experimented with the seat some today. I have it adjusted a good bit back and I can still see the deck edge. I have VERY good depth perception so untill I read about other people's issues with seeing the deck I never realized that I didnt even look at mine. It was a bit weird cutting today and trying to look at the deck but I am starting to get used to it.

I also started off on 2 full tanks of gas over the weekend, to check fuel consumption. So far I am not pleased, as the gauge is saying I have burned almost half a tank in just 2 hours.

puppypaws
09-10-2012, 08:58 PM
I called the dealer today, since I didnt have time to bring it in, just to ask some questions.

I was informed that per scag, the term "up to" means it doesnt HAVE to do 12/16, but just somewhere close. I was told they will look at it but not necesarily do anything about it. I ahve a friend with a tachometer, and tomorrow we are going to check rpm's.

I am still extremely pleased with the cut quality. It doesnt chop up the grass very well but it cuts it very quickly and cleanly and spreads it very evenly. I now have about 6 hours on the machine and the blades still look brand new, and there is minimal clumping on the underside of the deck.

I also experimented with the seat some today. I have it adjusted a good bit back and I can still see the deck edge. I have VERY good depth perception so untill I read about other people's issues with seeing the deck I never realized that I didnt even look at mine. It was a bit weird cutting today and trying to look at the deck but I am starting to get used to it.

I also started off on 2 full tanks of gas over the weekend, to check fuel consumption. So far I am not pleased, as the gauge is saying I have burned almost half a tank in just 2 hours.

The Velocity Plus Deck is design to do just what you are seeing, process a large amount of grass very fast, get it out of the discharge opening and spread it evenly. This is why you see the longer pieces, unlike what you would see with a deck such as the Exmark Ultra Cut, one that processes the grass more, and discharges it in much smaller pieces.

Your deck will handle wet grass and a wider variety of cutting situations better than a further processing deck. You will not clean grass from underneath your deck nearly as often as you would with the Ultra Cut, but nether will you get the manicured cut of the Exmark deck.

Don't depend too much on any gas gauge used on a mower, most are not that accurate. I'd say you are in the 1.8 to 2 gph range, depending on what you are cutting.

StanWilhite
09-10-2012, 09:30 PM

You mean the Cheetah doesn't come with a tach?! I'm surprised that one of Scag's top of the line mowers doesn't have one....would have never thought that.

TLS
09-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Dixie is the only brand that I know of that came with a tach.

But for $40, I have had one on every mower since my Dixie.
Posted via Mobile Device

slowleak1
09-11-2012, 12:02 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, I am definitely investing in one asap. On the right side tank there is a blank plate. Looks like there should have been stuff mounted there..guess it will be a great spot to put one.

StanWilhite
09-11-2012, 12:42 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

My Lightning came with one, I just assumed that since Scag is thought of as one of the very best mowers built, that it would have one.

ed2hess
09-11-2012, 09:44 PM
My Lightning came with one, I just assumed that since Scag is thought of as one of the very best mowers built, that it would have one.

What do I need a tack for?

TNGrassCutter
09-11-2012, 10:33 PM

Hang some paper on a cork board?
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
09-11-2012, 10:43 PM

They're just so common place I was just surprised to find out that particular mower didn't have one. If I'm remembering correctly some of the Scag's come from the factory with one don't they?

It's just nice (for me anyway) to be able to check from time to time to make sure the engine is still turning what it should turn at full throttle.

TLS
09-12-2012, 05:50 AM
A tach is VERY important, and IMO should be standard on every mower. Especially now since just about every manufacturer has gone to a digital hour meter anyway.

I'm not 100% sure, but dont think SCAG ever offered a factory tach. I was only aware of DC, and as you say, Bad Boy.
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
09-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Hang some paper on a cork board?
Posted via Mobile Device

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

slowleak1
09-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Another small update without pics...lol

Underside of deck is EXTREMELY clean even after about 10 hours of cutting wet grass.

I noticed some paint chipping off of the deck, down to bare clean metal. Shoddy paint job for sure. Still havent worked out the issues with the speed either, hopefully next week I can get everything straitened out.

puppypaws
09-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Another small update without pics...lol

Underside of deck is EXTREMELY clean even after about 10 hours of cutting wet grass.

I noticed some paint chipping off of the deck, down to bare clean metal. Shoddy paint job for sure. Still havent worked out the issues with the speed either, hopefully next week I can get everything straitened out.

If you see a problem with their paint, you definitely should bring it to their attention; user feedback is what brings a companies quality control to the production of a superior product, instead of an inferior product.

slowleak1
01-22-2013, 11:08 PM
Little update since I haven't updated this thread in a while. Dropped the machine off at the dealer today for it running slow, smoking heavily on start up, pulsing hydros and paint chipping. The mechanic says there is nothing that can be done to increase ground speed, and that I over filled the motor with oil and thats why it smokes. I haven't touched it since I bought it so he is full of $hit. Waiting to hear back from them about what they are going to do.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kleen Kutz
01-22-2013, 11:30 PM
What's up slowleak1? Man sounds like you got a good mower. Where did you get it from? I have a 48" tiger cub and I'll soon be getting a 61" turf tiger! I just landed another huge account and I will definitely need another big boy. I always purchase my equipment from Vaughan's in Kenner. What made you go with Cheetah instead of turf tiger even though Cheetah is the fastest thing on the market?

I also have several accounts out in your area, so hopefully I'll run into you. But if I do I'll stop by to meet you one day.

slowleak1
01-23-2013, 12:45 AM
I got it from vaughns.I picked the cheetah over the tt for a few reasons, the main ones being speed, belt drive deck, and bigger motor.
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
01-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Little update since I haven't updated this thread in a while. Dropped the machine off at the dealer today for it running slow, smoking heavily on start up, pulsing hydros and paint chipping. The mechanic says there is nothing that can be done to increase ground speed, and that I over filled the motor with oil and thats why it smokes. I haven't touched it since I bought it so he is full of $hit. Waiting to hear back from them about what they are going to do.
Posted via Mobile Device

I hate people that assume things like this. I bet it blew a head gasket!

djagusch
01-23-2013, 09:04 AM
I hate people that assume things like this. I bet it blew a head gasket!

A blown headgasket does nothing but causes a oil leak on a/c engines. If the oil is overfull check for a gassy smell to it. If it does it could be a carb float not sealing causing gas in the crankcase.

How many hrs do you have on it?
Posted via Mobile Device

slowleak1
01-23-2013, 07:32 PM
11 hours. If it blew a headgasket, they can take this mower and shove it. Called them today to check on it and they said they won't mess with adjusting anything and I just have slow pumps. They also confirmed overfilling of the oil, which I made sure to point out to them that THEY put the oil in it not me.

weaver
01-23-2013, 07:51 PM
11 hours. If it blew a headgasket, they can take this mower and shove it. Called them today to check on it and they said they won't mess with adjusting anything and I just have slow pumps. They also confirmed overfilling of the oil, which I made sure to point out to them that THEY put the oil in it not me.

Contact Scag if you can and explain your situation.. You never know... See what they say about having slow pumps...

Kleen Kutz
01-23-2013, 09:04 PM
I got it from vaughns.I picked the cheetah over the tt for a few reasons, the main ones being speed, belt drive deck, and bigger motor.
Posted via Mobile Device

Man sounds like your having problems already and the machine it's broken in yet. Hopefully Vaughn's take care of you. They are some great people to deal with. They are not after your money like other dealers out there. :nono:

Also, if it's an head gasket normally you'll here the motor sucking air and it'll sound different. I've never heard of it smoking from a head gasket. But good luck!!!

PabsMaster
01-23-2013, 09:48 PM
CONGRATS!! on the CHEETAH. I drive by my a Scag dealer every day on the way to school. He gots them lined up TT, Cheetah, Tiger Cat, Freedom. I love the cheetah, never cut with it, but I have sat in one and could only imagine what its like!!

Have fun!

dathorpe
01-24-2013, 09:15 PM

Man, that is messed up. Slow pumps?? WTF?? I thought the Cheetah was all about speed... slow pumps?? Ya know, I read this thread and at first, I'm happy for you because you can sense your excitement about getting this mower and now I can sense your frustration. It bites to have to go through something like this. I hope everything turns out okay in the end.

djagusch
01-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Email scag off their website. Explain the Situation and ask for the regional rep to contact you soon. It should make those pumps go faster quick.

All they should do is verify engine rpm's, then adjust the rods for speed.

Landrus2
01-24-2013, 09:58 PM
No pictures:waving:

Kleen Kutz
01-24-2013, 10:24 PM
slowleak1 did you here anything from Vaughn's yet?

slowleak1
01-25-2013, 01:23 AM
Email scag off their website. Explain the Situation and ask for the regional rep to contact you soon. It should make those pumps go faster quick.

All they should do is verify engine rpm's, then adjust the rods for speed.

The mechanic at the shop said there were no adjustments that can be made. He said he can slow a pump down but not speed it up.

I haven't heard back from the dealer yet today to hear if they have made any progress. I will call them if I dont hear from them before 4 tomorrow, and post the results here.
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
01-25-2013, 04:15 AM
The mechanic at the shop said there were no adjustments that can be made. He said he can slow a pump down but not speed it up.

I haven't heard back from the dealer yet today to hear if they have made any progress. I will call them if I dont hear from them before 4 tomorrow, and post the results here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bs, rpm can be adjusted and if the handle is not moving the input all the way forward it can be.
Posted via Mobile Device

slowleak1
01-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Oh I know. Im no dumby when it comes to fixing things/mechanical work. Im just going to let this play out and see what happens. I dont have to cut grass again untill the 2nd, and I have my spare mower if I need it. Its a shame, cause everyone there is extremely nice, even the mechanic who doesn't know what he is talking about.
Posted via Mobile Device

slowleak1
01-25-2013, 05:37 PM
Got the call thsi afternoon from the dealer, mower is ready to be picked up. She didnt elaborate on that.

I wont be able to get it untill monday though, so it will be a long weekend for me.

Kleen Kutz
01-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Oh I know. Im no dumby when it comes to fixing things/mechanical work. Im just going to let this play out and see what happens. I dont have to cut grass again untill the 2nd, and I have my spare mower if I need it. Its a shame, cause everyone there is extremely nice, even the mechanic who doesn't know what he is talking about.
Posted via Mobile Device

Which mechanic are you talking about? Mr. Bob is the old guy. And the younger one is Patricia husband. I'm always dealing with Mr. Bob, and I've never had any problem at all. Every time I was told something was wrong with my mower he was on the money with the problem. He knows his stuff.

I've never had a problem :nono::nono::nono:

Kleen Kutz
01-25-2013, 09:26 PM
Slowleak1 I just PM you

slowleak1
01-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Which mechanic are you talking about? Mr. Bob is the old guy. And the younger one is Patricia husband. I'm always dealing with Mr. Bob, and I've never had any problem at all. Every time I was told something was wrong with my mower he was on the money with the problem. He knows his stuff.

I've never had a problem :nono::nono::nono:

I was talking to an older guy with a bum leg...he was rolling around the shop on an office chair lol.

He was the one who was telling me that I overfilled the machine (they filled it not me) and that the hydros have no adjustments and I would just have to deal with it (which I also know is wrong)

I will find out monday whether it got fixed.

Kleen Kutz
01-26-2013, 04:48 PM
I was talking to an older guy with a bum leg...he was rolling around the shop on an office chair lol.

He was the one who was telling me that I overfilled the machine (they filled it not me) and that the hydros have no adjustments and I would just have to deal with it (which I also know is wrong)

I will find out monday whether it got fixed.
Dam if its not fix, tell them you want your money back. But that guy probably was Mr. Bod if he had glasses on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kleen Kutz
01-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Slowleak1 what's the word on your Scag?
Posted via Mobile Device

slowleak1
01-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Havent picked it up yet, been busy. Going in a little while

weaver
01-28-2013, 09:05 PM

What's up ? Is it going 20 mph yet or what?
:laugh: :waving:

Kleen Kutz
01-29-2013, 06:40 PM

Slowleak did you get the Scag back yet? If so, what's the out come?
Posted via Mobile Device

slowleak1
01-30-2013, 03:00 AM
Nope. Been putting in 16 hour days at my part time job (nightclub) getting ready for superbowl weekend. We have shows with afrojack, steve aoki, rhianna, 2 chainz, manny fresh and flo rida (or however you spell it) should make for an awkward/interesting weekend...
Posted via Mobile Device

Kleen Kutz
02-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Nope. Been putting in 16 hour days at my part time job (nightclub) getting ready for superbowl weekend. We have shows with afrojack, steve aoki, rhianna, 2 chainz, manny fresh and flo rida (or however you spell it) should make for an awkward/interesting weekend...
Posted via Mobile Device

Slowleak1 what's the outcome of your Scag?
Posted via Mobile Device

slowleak1
02-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Idk yet. Cut with it today but didnt get a chance to check all the issues with it. Feels a little quicker but i havent verified the actual speed yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

J&TLawnPA
02-05-2013, 11:06 PM
We were looking into getting one with a 52 now that their producing them...I see them down the road ending production on the Tiger Cat..if you can now get a Cheetah with a smaller deck and more HP.

slowleak1
03-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Well put some more time on it, and nothing has changed. It is actually worse now. The machine pulls hard to the left when both sticks are full forward. The hydro surging is still there, and it smokes like a freight train when i start it up. Couldnt get a good speed reading on it cause it wont drive strait. Oh and there is already rust under the deck by some of the welds, and it's not from the paint chipping off from normal wear and tear.

KrayzKajun
03-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Who did u buy from? I may be picking up a new 61" turf tiger in the next few weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
03-03-2013, 04:07 PM
i read earlier in this thread about the long clippings. you can use G6 blades and it will get rid of that and you will have small clippings.

Kleen Kutz
03-03-2013, 08:11 PM
i read earlier in this thread about the long clippings. you can use G6 blades and it will get rid of that and you will have small clippings.

I have some G6 Blades that I've just ordered a couple weeks ago. I haven't used them yet but in a few weeks I'll switch to them. I ordered them from landscaperpro.com

slowleak1
03-04-2013, 01:37 AM
Who did u buy from? I may be picking up a new 61" turf tiger in the next few weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Vaughn's in kenner.

Why the tiger instead of the cheetah?