PDA

View Full Version : Systemic insecticides for shrubs

grassmasterswilson
08-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Anyone tried any of this? I've heard that one early treatment found control bugs for the season. Maybe a systemic early in te season and a horticultural oil app in the fall?

Curious if anyone does this and what they used? Any idea on pricing?
Posted via Mobile Device

turf hokie
08-24-2012, 08:06 PM
There is so much more to treating trees and shrubs than a systemic and a round of oil.....

Yes, we do systemics but it depends on what plants and what target pests as to when we do systemics....we use it as part of our plant health care program

grassmasterswilson
08-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Thanks. I'm starting to do some research and thinking about adding this as an additional service.

What I've found so far is that a lot of guys are doing a oil app in late winter and/or early fall, systemic app in spring and maybe again later on, then 1-2 fert apps.

I'm not sure of anyone doing this in my area or at least not advertising. So I would like to start out with a very basic entry level program and see if it works. If anyone has any info or good research links I'd love to read up as much as possible.

Smallaxe
08-25-2012, 09:26 AM
I've seen the most devastating affects on tree and shrub beds, because of treatments, as bad as anything else ever done to landscapes by people who believe in the "One Size Fits All", Mr. Blanket Application...

What might be an upscale approach to a new business would be to provide services as they become necessary...

Does everything in this bed need 1/4 pound of N??? Are the natural elements taking care of any real problems or should I introduce poisons to the entire area???

I've seen handsomely landscapes turned into a raging mass of water sprouts and thin stems and branches, drooping everywhere for most of the summer, because everything needs N... aphids love that type of growth, so you can sell the client some insecticide...
It is better to manage plants, than to just fill out a list of sprays...

ELS Landscape
08-25-2012, 09:41 AM
As a general rule, I do not treat for insects on trees and shrubs unless there is a need.
I have had very little need.

turfmd101
08-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Merit works great on lace bug prone azal, not good on scales. Other than that it's not a question of what insecticide but what target pest. What time of year. On another discussion I was given lot's o crap for suggesting powder laundry detergent to control sod web. " what " " that's stupid " "bifen man ". Let me tell ya. Almost September, web worms will be gone soon enough. By the way we're getting into turfs favorite time of year September -November things will recover whatever ...
Posted via Mobile Device

turfmd101
08-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Merit works great on lace bug prone azal, not good on scales. Other than that it's not a question of what insecticide but what target pest. What time of year. On another discussion I was given lot's o crap for suggesting powder laundry detergent to control sod web. " what " " that's stupid " "bifen man ". Let me tell ya. Almost September, web worms will be gone soon enough. By the way we're getting into turfs favorite time of year September -November things will recover whatever ...on another note you want to guess before you ID the pest use cutless granule I know it's a growth ******ent but that's the point most insects target soft new growth so don't open the buffet. Other side effects include alot less shearing.
Posted via Mobile Device