PDA

View Full Version : Front yard brown patches (fescue NC)

Banksy
08-25-2012, 05:45 AM
I have one mowing account in the neighborhood while I weigh the idea of getting further into lawn care. Taking it slow.

This home owner has a fescue lawn. The yard was thick and green back in late May. Now the front yard has brown patches and grows very slow. The side yard (no backyard) is still green and thick with not one weed. This summer has been hot and dry except for the occasional afternoon t-storm.

I cut it at the highest setting (about 4"). Did I do something or is this just the problem with fescue in the hot south? I can get pics later if that would help.

agrostis
08-25-2012, 01:57 PM
In Johnston? county, that is totally normal. You are almost in 100% warm season grass country. Just re-seed in Sept.

Green Resistor
08-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Yeah, Fescue is a cool season grass. It's dormant, the other area must have shade/better watershed.

Banksy
08-25-2012, 07:00 PM
I assumed that's what it was, but I have little knowledge about lawns (embarrased to say). I'm trying to learn some basic stuff about stuff just like this so I know or can sound like I know what I'm talking about. Thanks.

The side yard is well shaded for almost all of the day. He tries to water it and it doesn't seem to do much. He also uses Trugreen.

grassmasterswilson
08-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Without pics it's hard to say. Could be brown patch.

Most I my fescue lawns are almost totally burnt up by August. So they are either brown or have common Bermuda taking over.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
08-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Why do people in NC grow fescue given the climate??
Posted via Mobile Device

agrostis
08-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Why do people in NC grow fescue given the climate??
Posted via Mobile Device

For a simple explanation, anything east of 95 is warm season country, except in the most northern part of the state. West of that is a mix of warm and cool season grass , and the N-NW part of NC is mostly cool season. That's why this place is called the transition zone.

grassmasterswilson
08-26-2012, 05:50 PM
I wish I never had any fescue. This may sound ba but the temperatures used to be much cooler. There people have had fescue for years and still want it. They are used to having green all year.

Then shade becomes a problem. We have a lot of old trees and people just won't spend the money for st aug. I have seen my number of fescue lawns decrease on the app side.
Posted via Mobile Device

Banksy
08-26-2012, 08:09 PM
The previous home owner planted the fescue for some reason and now my customer is stuck trying to make it work. He's about ready to get rid of it and plant something else.

Green Resistor
08-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Fescue is one of the best and most universal choices. Look for a higher endophyte cultivar. You can't have endophytes in pasture varieties because of toxicity to catlle. Guys supplant that to Turfgrass scenario then knee jerk when it dies. Get the right seed, fescue is advanced stuff.

Green Resistor
08-30-2012, 08:34 PM
I assumed that's what it was, but I have little knowledge about lawns (embarrased to say). I'm trying to learn some basic stuff about stuff just like this so I know or can sound like I know what I'm talking about. Thanks.

The side yard is well shaded for almost all of the day. He tries to water it and it doesn't seem to do much. He also uses Trugreen.

Don't be embarrassed. You'll get caught up. I'll give you a little now. Three legs on a stool make it stand. Mowing, Irrigation, Fertilization. Keep it in balance or she topples. More later. Keep pluggin'.

Banksy
08-31-2012, 04:00 AM
Don't be embarrassed. You'll get caught up. I'll give you a little now. Three legs on a stool make it stand. Mowing, Irrigation, Fertilization. Keep it in balance or she topples. More later. Keep pluggin'.

Thanks. :drinkup:

RigglePLC
08-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Beware of rye in hot weather country. Some seed companies do this. If...the original seed was mixed fescue and perennial rye...the rye comes up quick and thick crowding out the fescue in the first year, and it looks great. Next year or later, it is killed by the heat, (or disease).

Take careful look at any seed you buy. Don't buy the cheap stuff. Buy only what is recommended for your area. Read the university information and NTEP results for your state.