PDA

View Full Version : Certainty for quack grass and nutsedge control

theoldwizard1
08-25-2012, 11:26 AM
I am not a licensed professional, but I can read a product instruction label and my new Kentucky Blue is being invaded !

Region : SE MI

I used Spectracide Weed and Grass Killer several weeks before new sod was installed. It sure looked dead dead to me before the installer arrived !

We have had a very warm summer (record number of days above 90) and the new sod has been well watered. After a few weeks yellow nutsedge and (I believe) quackgrass started popping up through the new sod. I also believe I have some Bermuda bluegrass.

Installer had no advice. I know from past experience that typical "big box store" purchased selective herbicides won't touch any of these weeds.

Internet research lead me to this site and Certainty. It is being sold online.

The last thing I can find here is that use of Certainty on "cool weather grasses" (KYB) is not approved by Monsanto despite research done by some universities showing that it is effective.

What say you experts ?

Or should I just cave in and hire a commercial company (TruGreen?) and hope they have "the right stuff" to control these weeds before they take over my new sod !

Grady1
08-25-2012, 03:00 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/CuttnRun/Avatars/Popcorn.gif

Oh this is going to be good.

cgaengineer
08-25-2012, 03:06 PM
It's likely the weeds were brought in with new sod...
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
08-25-2012, 03:14 PM
No off label advice given

theoldwizard1
08-25-2012, 03:26 PM
No off label advice given

Fair enough.

Would typical suburban fertilizer/weed control services have "the right ammunition" to deal with my problem ?

RigglePLC
08-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Not likely the sod farm will help you. There is a good chance their sod is clean, as they have probaby used professional products to clean up their fields before selling it to you.
You need a professional who can identify the weed types and who has access to the professional equipment and products to correct the situation. There are some good small businesses in your area.
TruGreen is OK, but they are set up to all lawns the same. Thier trucks do carry the expensive special products needed for special problems, and their people do not have the proper training to use the special products. Most are not licensed, but operate under their supervisor's license.

You may have crabgrass and nutsedge--both of which will disappear when cool weather sets in. Both could have come from your previous lawn due to seeds buried deep in the soil.

Mention your location town and perhaps someone local will offer to diagnose the weed situation for free.

Duekster
08-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Plus 1 Riggle
If the ground was disturbed you can get an eruption of weeds. Particularly nut grass or sedges because you are watering so much.

Yes a local Squirt and Fert should be able to handle it. It is often a process of a few treatments.

Bermuda... hopefully the cold winter kills it.

theoldwizard1
08-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Not likely the sod farm will help you. There is a good chance their sod is clean, as they have probaby used professional products to clean up their fields before selling it to you.
Not blaming them or the installer.

You need a professional who can identify the weed types and who has access to the professional equipment and products to correct the situation. There are some good small businesses in your area.
TruGreen is OK, but they are set up to all lawns the same. Their trucks do carry the expensive special products needed for special problems, and their people do not have the proper training to use the special products. Most are not licensed, but operate under their supervisor's license.

Mention your location town and perhaps someone local will offer to diagnose the weed situation for free.

SE MI, Livonia

Duekster
08-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Just so you know and do not try something silly... several types of Poa are listed on the certainty label as weeds it will control. I use certainty to release Bermuda from winter poa.

So to repsond to your first question. This is not a solution. I do not treat KBG down here.