PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat on second job of the day!!!

Greg78
08-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Not a skid steer either a real live Bobcat. He ran across the road and just sat up on the walkway to the front door. I didn't want to get too close so I zoomed in the best I could with the camera I had on hand. Once the mower started up he took off across the street into an empty lot with some woods on them. There are houses on both sides of the lot. Talked to the lady that lives on one side. She said some of the neighbors had seen the Bobcat before.

This wasn't a rural area there were a good 10 or more houses on this small block.

This was a bank owned property.

knox gsl
08-26-2012, 03:34 PM
He looks to be around 30-35lbs.

Greg78
08-26-2012, 04:35 PM
He looks to be around 30-35lbs.

He was about the same size as my smallest bulldog she weighs in at 80lbs. Your probably right on as the cat don't look to have the muscle mass of my dogs.

Duekster
08-26-2012, 04:37 PM
That cat needs to be put down. No fear of people.

knox gsl
08-26-2012, 04:45 PM
That cat needs to be put down. No fear of people.

You would be suprised how many of these are now running wild in the SE especially in FL. They could do a number on a small child or family pet. I know he could take my dog if he wanted, as most family pets have never had to fight for food or their life.

zturncutter
08-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Bobcats as well as Coyotes are found all over the state in almost all of the urban areas as well as rural areas and are becoming a problem.

Duekster
08-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Yes

but when they come out in broad day light with people within a few undered feet then this anamal in particular is dangerous.

Ric
08-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Bobcats as well as Coyotes are found all over the state in almost all of the urban areas as well as rural areas and are becoming a problem.

Sorry, Seeing a Bob cat is nothing unusual in S.W Florida. Many years ago I had a over grown vacant lot next door. A family of Bob Cats lived there. I haven't Seen a Coyote in years, but then I don't go in the woods hunting like I used to.

Florida Panthers are an other story. But just like Scrub Jays and Gopher Turtles, Developers don't want them reported to FWC. Years ago I saw a Florida Panther in an area that is now developed.

BTW I am a Nuances Wildlife Trapper and Bob Cats or Coyotes must be trapped and not shot in Urban areas because to Firearm discharge laws. My local sheriff doesn't let me use a Crossbow either.

Duekster
08-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Sorry, Seeing a Bob cat is nothing unusual in S.W Florida. Many years ago I had a over grown vacant lot next door. A family of Bob Cats lived there. I haven't Seen a Coyote in years, but then I don't go in the woods hunting like I used to.

Florida Panthers are an other story. But just like Scrub Jays and Gopher Turtles, Developers don't want them reported to FWC. Years ago I saw a Florida Panther in an area that is now developed.

BTW I am a Nuances Wildlife Trapper and Bob Cats or Coyotes must be trapped and not shot in Urban areas because to Firearm discharge laws. My local sheriff doesn't let me use a Crossbow either.

Arsenic???

Greg78
08-26-2012, 09:43 PM
First one I've seen. I seen a coyote a couple of weeks ago as well both in Charlotte county.

Ric
08-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Arsenic???

No Strychnine is the prefered poison for this job.

Only you feed it to a Chicken that has a high tolorance for Strychnine. Then tie the live chicken out as a bait. The Bob Cat, Coyote, or Neighbors dog Eat the Chicken and Die.

knox gsl
08-27-2012, 11:26 AM
What about a dart gun with posion?

zturncutter
08-27-2012, 11:38 AM
" or Neighbors dog Eat the Chicken and Die."

This could be problematic :)

Duekster
08-27-2012, 01:07 PM
" or Neighbors dog Eat the Chicken and Die."

This could be problematic :)

Bob Cat eats dog, problem solved:laugh:

Ric
08-27-2012, 02:38 PM
What about a dart gun with posion?

Dart Guns fall into a Lethal weapon category and can not be discharged in Urban environments. Or at Least under Florida Law. Crossbow the same thing etc. It is not really safe to use these in populated areas. Live Traps are the safest method for small population of Nuance wildlife in urban areas.

Poison bait for Nuances Wildlife is legal in Florida but is highly discouraged because of Collateral damage. Secondary Consummation by scavengers becomes a major concern with the use of poison. However a Pesticide Licenses is required to legally use poison baits.

U.S. Department of Agricultureís Wildlife Services has a Federal Ban on Poisoning all Swine or Feral Hogs. (reason for Hog Hunter TV shows and Many hunt clubs) However the USDA is also working on a safe poison and method of delivering that poison to feral hogs because they are such a problem. Current research is using a Bait Box with a lid heavy enough that only a hog could lift the lid with it's nose. Sodium Nitrate is the current poison being used because it acts very fast. Hogs eating it won't get very far from the Bait station and can be removed before becoming the last supper for Scavengers which would also die.

Feral Pig Problems in Australia have been reduced greatly by the use of Poison baits such as sodium fluoroacetate and Warfarin. BTW these are common Rodent poisons in the USA.

Of Course Animal activist have to get their 2 cent in. What ever method is used must be Humane.

Ric
08-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Poison bait for Nuances Wildlife is legal in Florida but is highly discouraged because of Collateral damage. Secondary Consummation by scavengers becomes a major concern with the use of poison. However a Pesticide Licenses is required to legally use poison baits.

A little correction to the above statement. Poison Bait are LEGAL but MUST BE LABELED FOR THAT SPECIES. Here in lies the problem with using Poison baits. Rodents Baits are about the only species that have an EPA Label. Therefore while the State law Says it is legal it also says it is not legal to use poison on certain species because there are no EPA Labeled product. At the same time we all have a ton of poison under our kitchen sink that would work.

Out in the center part of Florida, Running Hog Dogs is a big sport. In addition to Good Old Boy BBQ, Larger Trophy Hogs are sold to Hunting Clubs. Green Horn Hunters from the City pay big bucks to shoot those Trophy Hogs in a staged hunt. The Green Horn doesn't know it is a remote control release on the cage they never see.

justanotherlawnguy
08-29-2012, 12:47 AM
I've seen some bobcats out in new Tampa and Wesley chapel before!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-29-2012, 10:44 AM
I've seen some bobcats out in new Tampa and Wesley chapel before!
Posted via Mobile Device

I can't remember hearing about a Bob Cat attacking a Human here in Florida. But a Quick Google tells me Bob Cat have a history of attacking Humans. I found several report of Bob Cat attacks, but none in Florida. As a Nuance Wildlife trapper I have never had a call about Bob Cats.

Bob Cats and Coyotes are very common here in Florida. They might not be as visible as all the Alligators we see every day, but they are living in dense urban areas. This was their habitat first.

IMHO the Alligator population has recovered to the point a mass thinning of the heard is needed. The Economy value of Alligators means the state only need to increase the number of Alligator Permits and lenght of the hunting season. Bob Cats and Coyotes have no economy value, so paid hunters must be used.

Ric
09-30-2012, 04:21 PM
I can't remember hearing about a Bob Cat attacking a Human here in Florida. But a Quick Google tells me Bob Cat have a history of attacking Humans. I found several report of Bob Cat attacks, but none in Florida. As a Nuance Wildlife trapper I have never had a call about Bob Cats.

Bob Cats and Coyotes are very common here in Florida. They might not be as visible as all the Alligators we see every day, but they are living in dense urban areas. This was their habitat first.

IMHO the Alligator population has recovered to the point a mass thinning of the heard is needed. The Economy value of Alligators means the state only need to increase the number of Alligator Permits and lenght of the hunting season. Bob Cats and Coyotes have no economy value, so paid hunters must be used.

BINGO I had my first call to trap and remove a Bob Cat. I turned it down for several reasons. First it was 25 mile drive one way and I don't service that area. If that isn't reason enough, at the current time I don't have a trap big enough for a Bob Cat. Hog Trap would work But I stay away from Hogs because of so many sport hunters willing to do Hog Hunting. Third, Bob Cat like all cats and many Wild animals are tricky to catch. Special lures and Baits etc should be used to even give you a fighting chance to catch them.

Finally I never shot a Price at the caller only the name of an other Trapper who might handle the Call. The bottom line cost of removing a Bob Cat is not cheap my any means. I would want at least a five hundred dollar deposit before starting the job.

Johnagain
09-30-2012, 04:53 PM
I haven't seen many Bobcats where I'm at but this is what we deal with all the time. Momma was behind the bushes and out of the photo

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/404039_3675062835483_970313808_n.jpg

Ric
10-01-2012, 12:24 PM
I haven't seen many Bobcats where I'm at but this is what we deal with all the time. Momma was behind the bushes and out of the photo

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/404039_3675062835483_970313808_n.jpg

No wonder you have bears. Altoona, Fla. is in the Middle of the Ocla National Forest.

DMlandscaping
10-07-2012, 01:34 PM
I managed the development of a 1300 acre Orange Grove in central Florida, and the hogs were terrible. They would come in the grove at night and do thousands of dollars in damage. We hired three groups of "hog hunters" and they couldn't even put a dent in the population. There was one female they claimed to be over 800 lbs, and it wasn't afraid of people or dogs. They lost three of their best dogs to that hog before they bailed on the job. Of course we had lots of Panthers, Coyotes and Bobcats, but at least they didn't bother anyone or anything. Every time I was out there at night, as soon as they saw me they would run and hide. I carried a sidearm at night, but never once had to use it. The two that did the most damage were hogs and raccoons. The coons figured out how to open the ends of the irrigation lines to drink, or chew through the lines going to the micro-jets, and the hogs would root around the tree rows, destroying trees and irrigation lines. We spent more time on irrigation repairs than you could imagine, not to mention tree replacement and excavating. It was a total nightmare.

Ric
10-08-2012, 01:39 PM

With the Billions of Agriculture Dollars being lost, The government has got to Legalize Feral Hog poisoning.

Coyotes were at one time as big a problem as Feral Hogs are today. They were brought under control with Poisons. In fact Poison worked so well the Government stopped making it Legal. Now that the Coyote population has recovered it is again Legal to poison them.

Raccoons are slick. Not only smart but they use their paws like hands. I have seen them open a Havaheart Trap and get out.

justanotherlawnguy
10-19-2012, 12:31 AM

There was an old guy who got attacked by a bobcat out in Wesley chapel a couple years ago. He got tore up pretty good, it was all over the news when it happened.
Posted via Mobile Device

the_bug_guy
10-19-2012, 09:03 AM
I'm looking at that picture without my glasses and are u sure that is a bobcat? Looks mighty healthy and the wrong colors. Sure its not a panther?

Ric
10-19-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm looking at that picture without my glasses and are u sure that is a bobcat? Looks mighty healthy and the wrong colors. Sure its not a panther?

The picture is so far out of focus that it is hard to tell. Is that a Long tail or a Hind foot?? Also are the colors true given the bad focus?? I am not a camera persons so I don't know.

the_bug_guy
10-19-2012, 01:43 PM
even with my glasses and blurry picture i say its a panther, doesnt have the pattern, too well fed for a wild bobcat, tail is too long, snout is longer. most of the bobcats tails have been chewed down to a nub.

Ric
10-19-2012, 05:25 PM
even with my glasses and blurry picture i say its a panther, doesnt have the pattern, too well fed for a wild bobcat, tail is too long, snout is longer. most of the bobcats tails have been chewed down to a nub.

I believe there are more Florida Panthers than the FWC or Land developers want to admit. 20 years ago I remember seeing one cross the road in front me in a newly Developed area that was just starting land clearing. But Bob Cat are very common in my area also.

jvgillow
10-19-2012, 06:03 PM
That's definitely a bobcat, the tail is too short to be a panther and the distinctive white spot on the back of the ear gives it away.

Greg78
10-19-2012, 07:00 PM
I was about 25' from it. It is a Bobcat. Early morning light and cheap camera zoomed all the way make for a crappy picture.