PDA

View Full Version : Clover vs herbicides

RigglePLC
08-26-2012, 08:40 PM
I tested four herbicides on clumps of clover on my neighbor's vacant lot. Low quality turf, which was non-irrigated. Weather mostly had daily highs of 88.
The result:
Surge..........Good
T-Zone........Excellent
Speedzone...Good
Quicksilver....Poor

There were a few clumps of violets in the area, but not in all plots. T-Zone was good on violets.

What are your experiences on the more difficult weeds?

Duekster
08-26-2012, 08:58 PM
White Clover is on the Certainty list of weeds controlled but I use Outrider for commercial

vaacutabove
08-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Never used tzone keep saying im going to but speed zone has aleays been so good to me nevermind the fast kill time.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-27-2012, 03:25 PM
For a TZone replacement, try 3 way combined with Turflon Ester. Smokes white and red clover. Yes, you don't get the sulfentrazone component as with TZone, but the combo works well nonetheless.

RigglePLC
08-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Since T-Zone already contains triclopyr--woudn't it be simpler to use Three Way plus Turflon (which is triclopyr)? And cheaper.

You would lose the carfentrazone of course.

humble1
08-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Try an ester formulation and drive, I think they work the best.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ijustwantausername
08-28-2012, 10:56 PM
I sprayed my lawn with Q4 Plus the other day and it smoked our clover.

fmcprosolutions
08-29-2012, 12:27 AM
White Clover is on the Certainty list of weeds controlled but I use Outrider for commercial

Always read and follow label directions. Certainty is a good product, but it is now labeled only for use in warm-season turfgrass (this changed last year).

fmcprosolutions
08-29-2012, 12:35 AM
Good comments on the products and combo's that are working on white clover. Both carfentrazone and sulfentrazone, which can be found in FMC herbicides, as well as PBI's products will both offer speed of control and assist in expanding the spectrum of weed control against this weed. The level/residual of control will differ with different use rates and AI loads.

Check out our online herbicide solution finder. You can select your turf type and weed problem and it will list and provide links to the herbicides that are labeled for control or suppression. http://www.fmcprosolutions.com/LawnCare/HerbicideSolutionsFinder.aspx

If you need to identify a weed, sign up for our free Weed ID poster at: http://www.surveys.fmcprosolutions.com/se.ashx?s=144E334E1BAAC19F

Duekster
08-29-2012, 05:46 AM
Always read and follow label directions. Certainty is a good product, but it is now labeled only for use in warm-season turfgrass (this changed last year).

This is where I will be using it. :laugh:

Turf Dawg
08-29-2012, 09:08 AM
This is where I will be using it. :laugh:

Hey Dukester, have you had Certainty do anything to spurge. I do not think it is listed but I need to treat one with bad Nutsedge and it has a little Spurge also.

Duekster
08-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Hey Dukester, have you had Certainty do anything to spurge. I do not think it is listed but I need to treat one with bad Nutsedge and it has a little Spurge also.

Can not really say it does real well. It is pretty slow acting too.
I often use a 3 way at some point in time in the year as well as Certainty. I considered 3 way more as a broad leaf and Certainty as a grassy weed control.

I typically hit the 3 way late winter and Certainty in early spring.

So Prem, then 3 way then Certainty then a Prem ( if crab grass is a concern) again. 4 apps.

Turf Dawg
08-29-2012, 09:58 AM
I have been having great luck with the Certainty on sedges. I use Speedzone Southern and Simazine in the fall. I would just like to treat this one without mixing anything because I hate to make a trip to Dallas right now for one lawn. I might have enough Celcius left to mix and get the spurge.
Posted via Mobile Device

fmcprosolutions
08-29-2012, 11:17 AM
I have been having great luck with the Certainty on sedges. I use Speedzone Southern and Simazine in the fall. I would just like to treat this one without mixing anything because I hate to make a trip to Dallas right now for one lawn. I might have enough Celcius left to mix and get the spurge.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would say in warm-season turf, it would be Blindside. For cool-season, I would speculate either SquareOne or a three-way plus Quicksilver. I have also seen people use Dismiss + triclopyr and receive good results on spurge and other summer annuals. The important key with spurge control is using the appropriate droplet size (nozzle type) to ensure adequate coverage due to the small leaf surface area of this weed.

Ric
08-29-2012, 12:34 PM
I would say in warm-season turf, it would be Blindside. For cool-season, I would speculate either SquareOne or a three-way plus Quicksilver. I have also seen people use Dismiss + triclopyr and receive good results on spurge and other summer annuals. The important key with spurge control is using the appropriate droplet size (nozzle type) to ensure adequate coverage due to the small leaf surface area of this weed.

Blindside has worked good for me on problem lawns. However cost wise I use it only as a last resource.

Duekster
08-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I would think you could find a nice feed store that can order for you.
I have seen lower prices in Waco as an example over Dallas. I even had a guy ship to me once.